Potential replacements for PC?

RiverDog

Reaction score
There are rumors out there that Payton is already putting feelers out to Fangio to be his DC. This doesn't say much as to where he might be heading though. I think he goes to Jerry's World, which would make Quinn available.

Payton has reportedly said that he wants to go to a warm weather location, which would leave us out. The most likely landing spots for him are Arizona, the Chargers, and Houston.

chrispy

Reaction score
N Hackett was the savior in Denver...until he wasn't.

I'm all in on PC, even with the mistakes, knowing that a replacement is very likely to be a train wreck. There are many more new Head Coaches that end up failing as opposed to winning a Championship in their first few years. I think there's a reasonable, realistic chance PC takes the Seahawks on a SB run in the next few years. I think it'd be foolish to bet on an unknown instead of minimizing the deficiencies of the known.

DarkVictory23

Reaction score
No idea, honestly. I don't follow college closely and I think a lot of 'good' college coaches are protected by the school they are at.

Dan Quinn looks like an interesting choice, so that's all I have. I'd be interested to see what Waldron's offense would look like without Pete's influence as well.

Wheetie

Reaction score
No idea, honestly. I don't follow college closely and I think a lot of 'good' college coaches are protected by the school they are at.

Dan Quinn looks like an interesting choice, so that's all I have. I'd be interested to see what Waldron's offense would look like without Pete's influence as well.
Exactly, "without Pete's influence"...

Hawkspeed

Reaction score
We need to just take our time regarding Pete. He has been possibly the best coach the Seahawks have had. I trust him more than I do John Schneider regarding the draft. All of the "brilliant" trading back over the years left us with mediocre players, rather than stars. Please JS, just knock it out of the park this draft...don't overthink things.

It looks like Pete was the "Wizzard of Oz" and @dangerpuss was just "the curtian"...don't look behind it or you might find the truth.

Please read this article regarding the abrupt decline of #3. Without Pete nursing him along, it seems like he was already washed up. Tonight was a great example.
https://sports.yahoo.com/broncos-ru...rse-in-an-abysmal-loss-to-rams-003410393.html

Last edited:

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
We need to just take our time regarding Pete. He has been possibly the best coach the Seahawks have had. I trust him more than I do John Schneider regarding the draft. All of the "brilliant" trading back over the years left us with mediocre players, rather than stars. Please JS, just knock it out of the park this draft...don't overthink things.

Please read this article regarding the abrupt decline of #3. Without Pete nursing him along, it seems like he was already washed up. Tonight was a great example.
https://sports.yahoo.com/broncos-ru...rse-in-an-abysmal-loss-to-rams-003410393.html
He has a total of 1 playoff win in 6 years at this point, against a 40 year old McCown. He's still been unable to build a competent offensive line, or a line that can even runblock consistently despite hammering home the importance of the run.

We're about to miss the playoffs for a second year in a row, since 2017 we've only had a top 10 defense only once and that was largely due to poor competition in the second half of the season. In that 6 year span that I mentioned, we've missed the playoffs in half of those seasons.

People talk about 2013 all day, but at this point those years are a decade away. Since 2015, our last Super Bowl run nobody has lost more in the playoffs than Pete. In 2015 in particular we had a very strong defense and offense.

Pete Carroll has been a good coach for us, but some of his decision making over the years has been perplexing.

People have been saying "just wait 3 years" ever since we gutted the defense in 2017. At this point we're 5 years into trying to rebuild a competent defense or even a consistent offense.

The issue with Pete is we've been having the same problems for years. Just wait another year for the offensive line to be rebuilt! Just wait another year for the defensive line to be fixed! At this point we've been having the same problems and late season collapses across 3 different OC's and 3 different DC's and 2 different QB's.

Carroll deserves to shoulder quite a bit of blame here and at this point he is 71 years old. How much time does he need to right this ship? We just need 3 more years to rebuild the defense! Has been the mantra around here for YEARS now.

Jville

Reaction score
There is no replacing Pete Carroll. He is unique. One of a kind. Processing an innate instinct for what makes players tick.

TraderGary

Reaction score
Payton, Pederson or Day.
I really wanted Pederson last year. I think he was exactly what this team needed. But I don't see him leaving Jacksonville. I think he's building something really good there.

TraderGary

Reaction score
He has a total of 1 playoff win in 6 years at this point, against a 40 year old McCown. He's still been unable to build a competent offensive line, or a line that can even runblock consistently despite hammering home the importance of the run.

We're about to miss the playoffs for a second year in a row, since 2017 we've only had a top 10 defense only once and that was largely due to poor competition in the second half of the season. In that 6 year span that I mentioned, we've missed the playoffs in half of those seasons.

People talk about 2013 all day, but at this point those years are a decade away. Since 2015, our last Super Bowl run nobody has lost more in the playoffs than Pete. In 2015 in particular we had a very strong defense and offense.

Pete Carroll has been a good coach for us, but some of his decision making over the years has been perplexing.

People have been saying "just wait 3 years" ever since we gutted the defense in 2017. At this point we're 5 years into trying to rebuild a competent defense or even a consistent offense.

The issue with Pete is we've been having the same problems for years. Just wait another year for the offensive line to be rebuilt! Just wait another year for the defensive line to be fixed! At this point we've been having the same problems and late season collapses across 3 different OC's and 3 different DC's and 2 different QB's.

Carroll deserves to shoulder quite a bit of blame here and at this point he is 71 years old. How much time does he need to right this ship? We just need 3 more years to rebuild the defense! Has been the mantra around here for YEARS now.
Absolutely nailed it!

OP
OP
CalgaryFan05

CalgaryFan05

Reaction score
Yeah, not getting the love for Dan Quinn. After Shanahan left his teams started to drop off really hard. In the Super Bowl he really managed the game especially poorly. Fans are too fixated on that LOB squad. Dan Quinn would not come in and magically fix all of our defensive woes. He wasn't a terrible HC, but he also came with many of the same downsides that people bitch about with Carroll.

Even the element that his 2016 Falcons team was known for was the Shanahan offense. He is a great defensive mind, mediocre head coach. Vic Fangio is another example of this.

People are way to fixated on the 2013 Seahawks. That team was a generational talent that had the longest run at top scoring defense in NFL history. That is likely not going to be replicated by anyone, even Carroll himself.
Good points.

OP
OP
CalgaryFan05

CalgaryFan05

Reaction score

Excellent points. Particularly the "some of his decision making over the years has been perplexing".

I have to say - I started this thread just based on "hey - interesting article - who would you replace PC with hypothetically". But, I'm starting to turn the corner on the 'replace pete' movement here. I just see the same non-ability-to-adjust - whether it's during gametime, or the overall 'bang the same head against the wall' approach with most things.

I agree. We've been 'just wait 3 years' for quite a while now - across ALOT of different personnel. When the problem is always "Everyone else" - well, sometimes the problem is YOU!

Rainger

Reaction score
Man so much craziness over a bullshit article speculating.

All this speculation regarding Pete leaving or being fired is just crazy talk.

Pete is not going anywhere until HE decides to or because of a health issue.

JS is NOT PC's superior, he has no authority to fire Pete. I will put money that no way Jody is going to fire Pete unless the team became a 2 win team for the next 2 years and that wont happen.

Pete wants another SB before he retires and wants to see what all this draft capital can build. I would be flabbergasted if Pete pulls the plug in the next 3 years.

So all the "fans" who want Pete gone need to just accept that he is not going anywhere until he is ready, he wants next years draft and then see if he can get one more SB the following year.

So if any of you want Pete gone you will need to wait until after 2025 at the earliest!

All these threads and speculation about a new head coach next year or the following is just folly hyperventilating!

Book mark this post.

Seahawks Coach Pete Carroll Signs Contract Extension Through 2025 Season​

Pete Carroll, the winningest coach in franchise history, signed a contract extension earlier this season that runs through the 2025 season.​

Bduhadexh2kxau8ldmwa

Seahawks Coach Pete Carroll Signs Contract Extension Through 2025 Season

Pete Carroll, the winningest coach in franchise history, signed a contract extension earlier this season that runs through the 2025 season.
Zadj3ehrnxwhvl6swapk www.seahawks.com

OP
OP
CalgaryFan05

CalgaryFan05

Reaction score
Man so much craziness over a bullshit article speculating.

All this speculation regarding Pete leaving or being fired is just crazy talk.

Pete is not going anywhere until HE decides to or because of a health issue.

JS is NOT PC's superior, he has no authority to fire Pete. I will put money that no way Jody is going to fire Pete unless the team became a 2 win team for the next 2 years and that wont happen.

Pete wants another SB before he retires and wants to see what all this draft capital can build. I would be flabbergasted if Pete pulls the plug in the next 3 years.

So all the "fans" who want Pete gone need to just accept that he is not going anywhere until he is ready, he wants next years draft and then see if he can get one more SB the following year.

So if any of you want Pete gone you will need to wait until after 2025 at the earliest!

All these threads and speculation about a new head coach next year or the following is just folly hyperventilating!

Book mark this post.

Seahawks Coach Pete Carroll Signs Contract Extension Through 2025 Season​

Pete Carroll, the winningest coach in franchise history, signed a contract extension earlier this season that runs through the 2025 season.​

View attachment 56300

Seahawks Coach Pete Carroll Signs Contract Extension Through 2025 Season

Pete Carroll, the winningest coach in franchise history, signed a contract extension earlier this season that runs through the 2025 season.
View attachment 56301 www.seahawks.com
You are correct. I was just pissed off.

With the PC contract and the Sale ban with the 10% to Washington state penalty - nobody's going 'anywhere' until 2025.

We got what we got for 3 years - then I'm assuming it changes. There's no extension for Pete past that point with new owners, I'm assuming.

BASF

Reaction score
He has a total of 1 playoff win in 6 years at this point, against a 40 year old McCown.

Due to Russell Wilson's failures. Blame Pete very accurately for the 2018 loss to the Cowboys. Each of our other post season losses except the 2012 Atlanta game (defensive decisions in their final drive are on Pete), Wilson crapped the bed.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
Due to Russell Wilson's failures. Blame Pete very accurately for the 2018 loss to the Cowboys. Each of our other post season losses except the 2012 Atlanta game (defensive decisions in their final drive are on Pete), Wilson crapped the bed.
You cannot blame Wilson on all of those, he's a popular whipping boy around here lately but Pete deserves some blame as well. In some of those seasons he had a top rated offense and defense.

The issue here is I'm seeing a lot of the same things repeat. I had hope earlier in the season that Wilson was the issue -- but I think it's far more nuanced than just "it was Wilson's fault!"

Earlier in the season I was hopeful that Wilson was the main issue, but I don't think we can say that. He certainly was part of the problem, but Pete has some issues as well. We were running an offense that looked totally different from anything we've ever ran before. Lots of motion, spreading out defenses and leveraging the short, quick passing game, creative usage of the 3 TE set and running game. We'd come out with a rhythmic, heavy passing, quick hitting attack and spread teams out then in the second half we'd run all over them.

We started going away from what worked. Our offense started looking more like a Russell Wilson ran offense. The first thing I'm noticing is that the plays are getting in at the final second. This has been an issue all the way back to Jeremy Bates in 2010. This was an recurring theme across 4 offensive coordinators and 4 Quarterbacks. You cannot blame this on anyone but Pete Carroll. Two of these QB's in particular, Smith and Hasselbeck rely heavily on pre snap reads and adjustments. Smith has not had the time needed to adjust the plays.

The second issue is I'm seeing long developing plays starting to be favored above all else. The play design has moved away from the short anticipation throws and timing routes in favor of intermediate and deep routes or long developing crossing routes. This is problematic when your offensive line is struggling. Once again, across 4 coordinators now this has happened. It looks the same rehashed garbage that we've seen year in and year out from a play design prospective.

The third issue is the across many different OC's/OL coaches we've had massive communication issues on the line. This was true even during the Super Bowl season with all-pro center Max Unger calling the shots.

The run game even got dumbed down. We were running a lot from under center earlier in the year and we were using a lot of motion to confuse defense and a lot of misdirection. Now I'm seeing basic handoffs from the shotgun up the gut A LOT more.

This is just with the offense, we're not even talking about issues on the defense over the years. This is especially true when it gets closer to playoffs or in the playoffs. The playcalling becomes a lot less dynamic and more simplified, favoring attacking deep. This has all been going on for years. The offense right now looks exactly the same as it did under all of our previous coordinators and we have the same issues with the line and tempo. I don't know how you blame this on anyone other than Pete.

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
I’ll give Carroll through 2025 to see what he can do with draft picks and without Wilson and his unforgiving contract.

*Still pointing and laughing at the Broncos*

Lol

Latest posts