Post game thoughts

gulliver

Reaction score
Russell and Doug both played lights out.

But I have to admit I'm getting pretty tired of the excuses du jour. We never get outplayed, it's just:

The heat!
Injuries!
The refs!
Percy!

I can't wait to see what other things will cause us to lose in the future that we're not responsible for as a team.

Injuries are legit, but we're often playing teams which appear to have been decimated more than we have, and still beat us (Dallas).

I also think the perception of the refs handing our opponents games is made worse by the fact that we're getting in close games with teams we shouldn't be getting in close games with. Last year when we got hosed, we had a 20-point lead to fall back on, so everybody said "that's garbage" and moved on. This year, it's making all the difference.

RiverDog

Reaction score
gulliver":1aoyusma said:
Russell and Doug both played lights out.

But I have to admit I'm getting pretty tired of the excuses du jour. We never get outplayed, it's just:

The heat!
Injuries!
The refs!
Percy!

I can't wait to see what other things will cause us to lose in the future that we're not responsible for as a team.

Injuries are legit, but we're often playing teams which appear to have been decimated more than we have, and still beat us (Dallas).

I also think the perception of the refs handing our opponents games is made worse by the fact that we're getting in close games with teams we shouldn't be getting in close games with. Last year when we got hosed, we had a 20-point lead to fall back on, so everybody said "that's garbage" and moved on. This year, it's making all the difference.

I get tired of the excuses, too. Heck, if injuries were a factor, St. Louis should have never been on the same field with us the minute they lost Sam Bradford.

Last year, we won games like Sunday's. The Houston game, the first Rams game, the Tampa Bay game, the NFCCG. Not so this season.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
tdlabrie":3bfygsnw said:
...........I don't know what the deal was with that first punt, as I am unsure what each person's job is. Although you'd think someone would be watching the ball! It didn't curve for cryin' out loud..........
I read a quote from Ryan in the paper this morning and he said this: "Anytime we punt from around the 50 yd. line like that, the kick is going to go to the left 100% of the time. That's all I'm going to say about it."!

Evil_Shenanigans

Reaction score
I made the comment to my wife in the second quarter yesterday that Pete just looked exhausted on the sideline yesterday. There was clearly much frustration there right from the outset. I think Pete's demeanor has a direct correlation on the energy level of this team and it showed in the first half yesterday. The Defense never showed any signs of spark save for the FF late in the 4th. Our offense seemed to right the ship in the second half but in the end we succumbed to a few well executed trick plays (Jeff Frigging Fisher :34853_doh: ) more penalties than we needed, and once again by some truly incompetent refereeing!

Now on the other hand I saw a lot of positives yesterday. Most of them by our very own superstar Russell Wilson. Yes he was a little off the mark in the first half, but he OWNED the second half. I want to see a hell of a lot more of Michael and Richardson in this offense. In the limited snaps I saw from Michael I saw some fire! Not as much as ADB, but I will take all of that I can get. I simply cannot wait to see Richardson break one open. With a little more continuity on offense we may not be so focused on our stumbling defense. Turbin may just be a better FB/Receiver than he is a running back. He actually looked good blocking for Marshawn, and the couple of catches I saw were sure handed.

But the biggest detractor I saw once again is that the DL is making our (highly depleted) defensive backfields lives miserable. I can live without the Sacks; sure it would be great to be getting the QB on the ground a few times a game but we are not even getting consistent pressure. Much to do with the opponents, granted. But I expect more from these guys, since we chose to jettison our (IMO) best DE to pay Bennett. The loss of Marsh didn't help. We all complained last year because we weren't getting lots of sacks but we were pressuring every quarterback in most games last year. That has changed and I just don't think we have the roster to do much about it in the short term. I don't know how much this has affected the play of Thomas and Chancellor, but they just seem to be marginalized this year. Say what you want about Sherman, I think he is earning his paycheck this year! Get these kids healthy ASAP!

pmedic920

Reaction score
Post game thoughts....
I really liked the moxie the guys showed. That 2nd half was SEAHAWK football. First half not so much.
My biggest concern is our O line. I'm worried that all the hits on RW will add up and lead to David Carr syndrome. In spite of RW being part robot, sooner or later, running for your life all the time will change the way you think. 300 lb dudes smashing a guy into the ground is bad for that guy in many ways.
RW is great at making plays on the run but when the running is in self preservation and not intentional, bad things happen.
We need to find a way to protect RW and buy him enough time to make plays.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
This is the point in the season where Pete earns his reputation as a coach that can bring out the best in players.

Yesterday stunk, but I still think if we can get healthy that this team still has the talent to make a run. That's a big if, because the injuries are getting worse, not better.

But if the injuries continue and the scrubs have to continue to play, then this is a .500 team.

morgulon1

Reaction score
CHawK247":375bryb9 said:
kmedic":375bryb9 said:
Injuries are a part of the game and we were supposedly the deepest team in the league.

Defense and ST were atrocious today. Marcus Burley is not "Seahawk" caliber in my opinion. Doesn't play physical enough and gets repeatedly taken to school. We have no interior pass rush. This will continue to be a problem the rest of the season. I don't see Avril or Bennett getting more than five sacks each for the entire season. No QB pressure or sacks means more pressure on the secondary, which means more pressure on Burley to step up, which he hasn't done. If you continuely give up 25+ points per game you won't have a chance to win a championship let alone even make the friggin playoffs. We'll see how the defense can adjust but not very optimistic right now.

We let our Depth leave. Not a chance in hell we're the deepest in the league this year. Last year the LOB got to much credit. The simple fact that we dominated The #1 Offense in NFL History with our D-Line Play spoke volumes. And what do we do? Let key factors go. Not only do we let them go..we don't even replace them!

Seriously what did we do this off-season to improve? Who did we bring in? Who did we draft? And ontop of all that we Trade away our biggest offensive threat!?.....Someone needs to be held responsible. This is unacceptable.

I agreed with everything until the last part of your post. Harvin was a horrible move in retrospect. We basically paid
a man 18 million to destroy our chemistry and run back a kick in the SB. We also let several key people go to keep
said man. That angers me .

gulliver

Reaction score
morgulon1":28osy3x6 said:
Harvin was a horrible move in retrospect. We basically paid
a man 18 million to destroy our chemistry and run back a kick in the SB. We also let several key people go to keep
I'm not as schooled as some on our contract details. If we had let Harvin go at the end of the year, how much of our depth could we have retained?

Because if we get rid of Harvin then, and that frees us up to keep Golden Tate, Walter Thurmond, Red Bryant, Breno Giacomini and Chris Clemons, it's hard to see us taking a step back AT ALL in 2014.

Of course, hindsight is 20/20, and I'm not sure the Harvin money allows us to keep ALL those pieces.

But if so, boy... what a disastrous move that turned out to be for so many reasons. And you're right--it was $18m to bring a guy in to tear your team apart and return one kick when the game was probably already a guaranteed blowout.

Caveat Emptor, Percy suitors.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
gulliver":2dnequuq said:
morgulon1":2dnequuq said:
I'm not as schooled as some on our contract details. If we had let Harvin go at the end of the year, how much of our depth could we have retained?

Because if we get rid of Harvin then, and that frees us up to keep Golden Tate, Walter Thurmond, Red Bryant, Breno Giacomini and Chris Clemons, it's hard to see us taking a step back AT ALL in 2014..

Harvin's cap hit this year is only 6.5M

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/new-york-jets/percy-harvin/

So not even close to keeping all those guys, but definitely could have kept a few.

McGruff

Reaction score
This front office won't give out bigger contracts just because there is space for it. Guys will get offered what we think they are worth, and that is that.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
10 games left, season is far from over. Those who want to give up and/or assume they won't make the playoffs. More power to you. :th2thumbs:

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
morgulon1":1qkhdsxg said:
CHawK247":1qkhdsxg said:
kmedic":1qkhdsxg said:
Injuries are a part of the game and we were supposedly the deepest team in the league.

Defense and ST were atrocious today. Marcus Burley is not "Seahawk" caliber in my opinion. Doesn't play physical enough and gets repeatedly taken to school. We have no interior pass rush. This will continue to be a problem the rest of the season. I don't see Avril or Bennett getting more than five sacks each for the entire season. No QB pressure or sacks means more pressure on the secondary, which means more pressure on Burley to step up, which he hasn't done. If you continuely give up 25+ points per game you won't have a chance to win a championship let alone even make the friggin playoffs. We'll see how the defense can adjust but not very optimistic right now.

We let our Depth leave. Not a chance in hell we're the deepest in the league this year. Last year the LOB got to much credit. The simple fact that we dominated The #1 Offense in NFL History with our D-Line Play spoke volumes. And what do we do? Let key factors go. Not only do we let them go..we don't even replace them!

Seriously what did we do this off-season to improve? Who did we bring in? Who did we draft? And ontop of all that we Trade away our biggest offensive threat!?.....Someone needs to be held responsible. This is unacceptable.

I agreed with everything until the last part of your post. Harvin was a horrible move in retrospect. We basically paid

Seahulk mad....seahulk turn from Green To Blue?????

(a little levity never hurts yanno.)

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
Always makes me Chuckle when, after a loss or two, incredibly uninformed people - who almost never post here- suddenly pop out of the woodwork calling for everyone's head. Then I read a jewel that said Dallas is more decimated than us? Otaaaay!

RiverDog

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":9o2u2xup said:
gulliver":9o2u2xup said:
morgulon1":9o2u2xup said:

Because if we get rid of Harvin then, and that frees us up to keep Golden Tate, Walter Thurmond, Red Bryant, Breno Giacomini and Chris Clemons, it's hard to see us taking a step back AT ALL in 2014..

Harvin's cap hit this year is only 6.5M

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/new-york-jets/percy-harvin/

So not even close to keeping all those guys, but definitely could have kept a few.

The salary impact of the Harvin deal is just one of the things that set us back. There was also the draft choices, particularly the #1 in 2013 and #3 in 2014. You have to think that at least one if not both of those picks would have blossomed into a solid contributor.

So to add it all up, we sacrificed the ability to re-sign at least one or two of the vets we let go (Tate in particular, who wanted to stay), the draft choices, and the intangible effects of ruining team chemistry. I'd say those ingredients makes this the worst trade in the history of our franchise.

I also agree with the observation of Pete's demeanor last Sunday. I suppose we could count the number of chews per minute he makes on that gum and compare them with those from Game 6 last year if we need a confirmation of our suspicions.

hawknation2014

Reaction score
Wright struggled much more than I anticipated he would while adapting to the Mike role in coverage. His overall pass coverage has regressed this year and he added two more TDs allowed on top of that.

Simon actually played pretty well until he went down with the knee injury. Burley had an awful game; we need Lane back badly. Too bad he is not eligible to come back until Week 10 because of his injury designation.

O’Brien Schofield for some reason only played 16% of the defensive snaps. That's crazy. Irvin's return from injury has somehow relegated one of our best pass rushers to the ash heap, much the same way his return from PED suspension last season reduced Malcolm Smith's opportunities.

RiverDog

Reaction score
hawknation2014":1gz00i3z said:
O’Brien Schofield for some reason only played 16% of the defensive snaps. That's crazy. Irvin's return from injury has somehow relegated one of our best pass rushers to the ash heap, much the same way his return from PED suspension last season reduced Malcolm Smith's opportunities.

Irvin's not cutting it. This is supposed to be his season to put up or shut up. No more excuses about being a rookie, learning a new position, or coming off an injury. I can't believe that we would be unable to upgrade next season. He was brought in here to be a pass rusher, and his contributions have been minimal at best. There's better run stopping OLB's out there if this is to be his role in our defense.

gulliver

Reaction score
HawKnPeppa":eyy7k9q6 said:
Always makes me Chuckle when, after a loss or two, incredibly uninformed people - who almost never post here- suddenly pop out of the woodwork calling for everyone's head. Then I read a jewel that said Dallas is more decimated than us? Otaaaay!
It must be nice to be in the "38 Club" and be such a bigger fan than all the other schmucks. Does that mean you get to hang out with Skittles and Pete, or are you just another anonymous Seahawk fan and Internet poster the players don't know exists, like the rest of us?

In any event, to the point of Dallas injuries, they had 9 to our 7 leading up to game day for Week 6. Drop our number down to 6 if you exclude Percy Harvin, and they had 50% more injuries. We had more players not play, but both teams had several players playing through injuries.

The whole objective in pointing that out was to deride the idea that saying "Injuries!" is a good enough excuse to explain us losing. I don't know if you're defending the idea that we should be satisfied with "injuries" as an explanation, or if this is another 38 Club d--- measuring contest.