Poor Buffalo...

xray

Reaction score
Never blame the kicker for losing a game with a missed kick . Blame the rest of the team for all the misses they had . Missed throws , missed catches , missed tackles etc.

WarHawks

Reaction score
I can't believe after decades of this in their history, that they can't hire a can't miss fg kicker. You would think that would be priority #1. Wow.

Rat

Reaction score
The Chiefs would have gotten the ball back with nearly two minutes in a tie game. Last time, all they needed was 13 seconds. Bass absolutely should have made that kick, but all it would have done was raise hope that would have come crashing down harder a short time later. I hope this doesn't lead to him becoming regarded the way Seahawks legend Blair Walsh is.

Torc

Reaction score
Never blame the kicker for losing a game with a missed kick . Blame the rest of the team for all the misses they had . Missed throws , missed catches , missed tackles etc.
Definitely blame the kicker. The team put him in a position to tie the game up. Dude makes almost $900k a year to kick a ball a few times a game, he more or less avoids the hits that every other player on the field takes. He's the classic "you had one job" guy.

Sure, you can pass some blame around. But by all means, blame the kicker!

The Twelvethman

Reaction score
Definitely blame the kicker. The team put him in a position to tie the game up. Dude makes almost $900k a year to kick a ball a few times a game, he more or less avoids the hits that every other player on the field takes. He's the classic "you had one job" guy.

Sure, you can pass some blame around. But by all means, blame the kicker!

I've never understood the thinking behind the reason for your first point against kickers. "You had one job", surely every position really only has one job no? sure some have to do their 'one job' more often per game than others but they are paid accordingly (quantity and quality). The only reason he's on is because the offence failed their job(s).

I agree that you can put some blame on the kicker and pass some blame to others but that's just it, it was a team failure at the core and only the team should be blamed, unless a teammate has an absolute meltdown and does something deliberately to the detriment of the team.

Torc

Reaction score
I've never understood the thinking behind the reason for your first point against kickers. "You had one job", surely every position really only has one job no? sure some have to do their 'one job' more often per game than others but they are paid accordingly (quantity and quality). The only reason he's on is because the offence failed their job(s).

I agree that you can put some blame on the kicker and pass some blame to others but that's just it, it was a team failure at the core and only the team should be blamed, unless a teammate has an absolute meltdown and does something deliberately to the detriment of the team.
I disagree. The offense did do their job, maybe not as well as they wanted to (didn't score a TD) but they did move the ball to within field goal range. That's not a failure. It may be a "C" grade, but it's not an F. Unfortunately for kickers, they're on a pass/fail system. Missing is a fail.

I really don't hate kickers or anything, but here's why I consider them ripe for mocking: everyone else on the team is competing against another player or players. They're learning hundreds of play combinations, and then have to react and apply the parameters of the play to what their opposition is doing to counter it. They're matching up physically to other professional athletes, and have to react at crazy speeds to what is happening around them.

Kickers? Kickers have to keep track of wind and weather conditions, but they know all that before they walk up to the kicking formation. They don't have to care at all about what any other player is doing - all they have to do is go from their stance to a kick. That's it. They're competing against themselves and the pressure of the situation. If the line lets someone through or the holder screws up, that's not on the kicker. Snap. Kick. Done. $900k to do that several times a week. Pass or Fail. The Bills kicker failed.

GemCity

Reaction score
I disagree. The offense did do their job, maybe not as well as they wanted to (didn't score a TD) but they did move the ball to within field goal range. That's not a failure. It may be a "C" grade, but it's not an F. Unfortunately for kickers, they're on a pass/fail system. Missing is a fail.

I really don't hate kickers or anything, but here's why I consider them ripe for mocking: everyone else on the team is competing against another player or players. They're learning hundreds of play combinations, and then have to react and apply the parameters of the play to what their opposition is doing to counter it. They're matching up physically to other professional athletes, and have to react at crazy speeds to what is happening around them.

Kickers? Kickers have to keep track of wind and weather conditions, but they know all that before they walk up to the kicking formation. They don't have to care at all about what any other player is doing - all they have to do is go from their stance to a kick. That's it. They're competing against themselves and the pressure of the situation. If the line lets someone through or the holder screws up, that's not on the kicker. Snap. Kick. Done. $900k to do that several times a week. Pass or Fail. The Bills kicker failed.
This. The team played good enough to get a dub…had the kicker made the FG.

Would they have stopped Mahomes on the next possession? I don’t know…

But I’m sure there would be “don’t blame the defense, offense should have had a bigger lead” comments had that played out.

Kicker failed.

He doesn’t deserve all of the blame but he damn sure deserves a good bit.