Poll: If they draft a qb, who will it be?

If they draft a qb, who will it be?

• Williams

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Daniels

Votes: 5 4.0%
  • Maye

Votes: 3 2.4%
  • McCarthy

Votes: 27 21.4%
  • Penix

Votes: 47 37.3%
  • Nix

Votes: 17 13.5%
  • Other

Votes: 26 20.6%

• Total voters

Hawkinaz

Reaction score
I am warming up to JJ McCarthy, apparently, he wasn't bad under pressure. In fact, his completion percentage under pressure was quite good. Coach Jim Harbaugh also called him the best QB in Michigan history, that was Harbaugh putting his reputation out there for JJ.

Unlike Celab William, he won't feel insulted if the team wants him to hold a clipboard for Geno.

The one thing that concerns me of McCarthy was the quality of the rest of the team and coaching staff it makes judging the player more difficult

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
If we look at Schneiders history of QB's that he's flirted with, he seems to really value arm strength and athleticism.

The first QB we can think of here is of course Russell Wilson. While he did not possess proto-typical NFL size, Wilson had a cannon of an arm, an elite deep ball and his speed/agility put him in the top 1 percent of the NFL as far as QB's go from day one. Young Wilson also possessed the ability to accelerate to full speed in the blink of an eye. He could stop and start on a dime. I'm convinced if he was a RB he'd probably be a Barry Sanders like character. His elusiveness was elite, he made the best NFL defenders look like fools trying to tackle him. He could throw the ball with scary velocity and accuracy from really weird and unorthodox positions.

The second QB I can recall a lot of buzz around was Patrick Mahomes. Mahomes didn't posses an elite 40 times, but like Wilson he had the ability to stop and start on a dime and throw from weird and unorthodox positions. He too also possessed an elite arm and improvisational skills.

The third QB we heard about is Josh Allen. There was a ton of talking going around about the Seahawks and Josh Allen. As far as rumors go I think this is the most likely one to have potentially happened. The rumors caused so much buzz that Wilson and his agent contacted Carroll/Schneider. Josh Allen was an extremely raw prospect. Accuracy was not great in college, but neither was Allen's mechanics. His arm strength, measurables and improv ability were off the charts.

The fourth QB that was tied to us was our own Drew Lock. Lock was the Allen archetype. A raw prospect with a huge arm and a quick on his feet.

The fifth QB linked to us was Richardson last season. Anthony Richardson was another QB that was as raw as they came. He possessed elite speed, a gifted arm and a knack for improvisational abilities.

Schneider has flirted with Mahomes, Allen, Lock, and Richardson as well as drafted Russell Wilson. Just about all of these QB's have elite measurables and are known for their work after the play breaks down. Even Whitehurst was very mobile and had a decent arm on him, he just was extremely inaccurate. T-Jack even fit into this mold somewhat, big arm, athletic.

Of all the QB's we see in the NFL draft I'd say that Maye, Williams and Daniels fit the Schneider archetype the most. If we go further, most of these QB's were known as high character guys. I'd say that Maye and Daniels are the two main QB's on Schneiders radar if we draft a QB in the first if we just go by the players that Schneider supposedly liked. Schneider was also one of the highest ranking guys in the FO in GB when they drafted Rodgers.

If get a QB, I'm going to assume he's going to put a high priority on guys that are good at improvising and are above average athletes.

I think given Schneiders past preferences, that leaves Penix and Bo Nix out and McCarthy as the wildcard. I think Penix and Nix are a no right now, but wouldn't be surprised if Schneider pulls the trigger. Penix ran a lot and seemed to show improv abilities, but has also had a lot of knee injuries. He can still move but doesn't very dynamic these days. He's almost purely a pocket passer these days, very much so like our very own Geno Smith in both strengths and weaknesses. Bo Nix is quick on his feet but lacks elite arm strength.

J.J McCarthy is the one that I'm unsure about. He has shown a knack for improvisation, he's good at throwing on the move and his arm strength is well above average, but is clearly not as good as a Penix, Maye, Daniels or Williams. He doesn't quite fit into the Schneider mold, but he does seem to have a certain "IT" factor about him that Wilson had. He's not the best out of the bunch in any category but he seems to do everything well. He is this drafts jack of all trades, master of none sort of character. He kind of gives me Brock Purdy sort of vibes.

If Schneider could draft one of these guys, i'd put my money on Daniels.

Seahawker

Reaction score
My current hope is they trade down for more ammo & take Penix bottom third of first round. If no trade down I'd like to see our first two picks DT & OG.

nanomoz

Reaction score
Rattler will be a career backup. He's too small, slow. His decision-making is poor.

I think they'll target Penix. I prefer Nix myself. He's a quick processor. But If we're going to target a QB in the 4th round or later, I prefer Milton.
I think Rattler's character issues from earlier in his college career might make him a non-starter for John. But saying his decision making is poor is half baked. The dude played behind the second- or third-worst offensive line in all of college football. The dude was sacked 40(!) times in 2023. I don't think Nix faced 40 pressures all season, let alone sacks (he was sacked 5 times). Penix was sacked 11 times.

toffee

Reaction score
If we look at Schneiders history of QB's that he's flirted with, he seems to really value arm strength and athleticism.

The first QB we can think of here is of course Russell Wilson. While he did not possess proto-typical NFL size, Wilson had a cannon of an arm, an elite deep ball and his speed/agility put him in the top 1 percent of the NFL as far as QB's go from day one. Young Wilson also possessed the ability to accelerate to full speed in the blink of an eye. He could stop and start on a dime. I'm convinced if he was a RB he'd probably be a Barry Sanders like character. His elusiveness was elite, he made the best NFL defenders look like fools trying to tackle him. He could throw the ball with scary velocity and accuracy from really weird and unorthodox positions.

The second QB I can recall a lot of buzz around was Patrick Mahomes. Mahomes didn't posses an elite 40 times, but like Wilson he had the ability to stop and start on a dime and throw from weird and unorthodox positions. He too also possessed an elite arm and improvisational skills.

The third QB we heard about is Josh Allen. There was a ton of talking going around about the Seahawks and Josh Allen. As far as rumors go I think this is the most likely one to have potentially happened. The rumors caused so much buzz that Wilson and his agent contacted Carroll/Schneider. Josh Allen was an extremely raw prospect. Accuracy was not great in college, but neither was Allen's mechanics. His arm strength, measurables and improv ability were off the charts.

The fourth QB that was tied to us was our own Drew Lock. Lock was the Allen archetype. A raw prospect with a huge arm and a quick on his feet.

The fifth QB linked to us was Richardson last season. Anthony Richardson was another QB that was as raw as they came. He possessed elite speed, a gifted arm and a knack for improvisational abilities.

Schneider has flirted with Mahomes, Allen, Lock, and Richardson as well as drafted Russell Wilson. Just about all of these QB's have elite measurables and are known for their work after the play breaks down. Even Whitehurst was very mobile and had a decent arm on him, he just was extremely inaccurate. T-Jack even fit into this mold somewhat, big arm, athletic.

Of all the QB's we see in the NFL draft I'd say that Maye, Williams and Daniels fit the Schneider archetype the most. If we go further, most of these QB's were known as high character guys. I'd say that Maye and Daniels are the two main QB's on Schneiders radar if we draft a QB in the first if we just go by the players that Schneider supposedly liked. Schneider was also one of the highest ranking guys in the FO in GB when they drafted Rodgers.

If get a QB, I'm going to assume he's going to put a high priority on guys that are good at improvising and are above average athletes.

I think given Schneiders past preferences, that leaves Penix and Bo Nix out and McCarthy as the wildcard. I think Penix and Nix are a no right now, but wouldn't be surprised if Schneider pulls the trigger. Penix ran a lot and seemed to show improv abilities, but has also had a lot of knee injuries. He can still move but doesn't very dynamic these days. He's almost purely a pocket passer these days, very much so like our very own Geno Smith in both strengths and weaknesses. Bo Nix is quick on his feet but lacks elite arm strength.

J.J McCarthy is the one that I'm unsure about. He has shown a knack for improvisation, he's good at throwing on the move and his arm strength is well above average, but is clearly not as good as a Penix, Maye, Daniels or Williams. He doesn't quite fit into the Schneider mold, but he does seem to have a certain "IT" factor about him that Wilson had. He's not the best out of the bunch in any category but he seems to do everything well. He is this drafts jack of all trades, master of none sort of character. He kind of gives me Brock Purdy sort of vibes.

If Schneider could draft one of these guys, i'd put my money on Daniels.
Sign trey lance once he's released by the Boys?

Hawkinaz

Reaction score
I put Rattler and Sam Hartman in the same category I wouldnā€™t expect either to be more than a backup. I am not expecting either to be drafted before the 5th rd

chris98251

Reaction score
Hartman or a late guy you hope will groom into a Purdy, Brady, Warner, Kreig, Hass, if patient and if we have a good QB Coach it can happen. I know those of you that believe that if the QB isn't a top ten pick they are doomed to fail. I would rather take a few late guys till we hit on one if we have a guy in place and use the picks higher to solidify a team that will be in place for that guy to step into.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
Sign trey lance once he's released by the Boys?
I could certainly see him being snatched up and stashed on the practice squad for sure. Doubt he'd ever crack the roster. Still, how amazing would it be if we snatched him up and he immediately became a top 10 QB talent? Could you imagine how sad that would make the collective bay area? The gnashing of teeth and tears that would come every time he bested them in divisional games is a nice dream.

xray

Reaction score
Penix seems to be the ' darling ' in this thread poll . Why ? I don't buy the hype on this guy at all . Did you watch the championship game ? He didn't look good against a ' real ' defense did he ? I hope the Hawks take a pass on him in April .

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Penix seems to be the ' darling ' in this thread poll . Why ? I don't buy the hype on this guy at all . Did you watch the championship game ? He didn't look good against a ' real ' defense did he ? I hope the Hawks take a pass on him in April .
Well, like many, you probably never watched him play. Followed by judging him on his final game. He didn't win 21 games in a row by accident. He went 10-1 vs. ranked teams, beat BO AND 3 and the Quacks all 3 times he played them. Absolutely SHREDDED the Texas defense in back-to-back years in bowl games. DAMN good defense.
He's one of the best in the country, period. It never ceases to amaze me how many people seem to know so much about a guy they probably never watched.

Keep doubting. He feeds off of it. I'm enjoying it. The more people doubt him the more this is fun.

Probably similar to people who want JJ McCarthy or any other QB.