Poll: Fire Pete now, after season, or keep?

Poll: Fire Pete now, after season, or keep?

• Fire now

Votes: 49 33.8%
  • Fire after the season

Votes: 77 53.1%
  • Keep Pete

Votes: 19 13.1%

• Total voters

Team Slapaho

Reaction score
seabowl":deqsr6g4 said:
89% so far want PC gone either now or after the season. Wow.

Just for the record, I was done with him over 4 years ago, I think it started for me when we were down 31
Points in Carolina and we came back in the second half (mind you, no adjustments for the first half) and a player said to the camera, we just ran out of time. I was like really? Is that how Pete is going to play? No adjustments and wait to see if the team can crawl back? That is the moment I was done with him and he hasn’t disappointed me yet, same old garbage coaching snd team play since, groundhogs day, game after game, questionable play calls, lack of time management, and keeping 2 coaches that should have been fired long before (cable and bevel) and wasting a historically good defense (#1 for 5 straight years) unheard of in this league, for what? Wasted years and no more lombardies. All the while, old #12 goes to a new team and wins another super bowl, what do we have in that time? Nothing.

Reaction score
Bye Pete! The Giving away of multiple picks over the years has finally caught up to this team. I think they get to cute in the draft and most of the time miss on players. The Sheldon Richardson ,Percy Harvin, Clowney, type trades were we give up picks only to have them gone the next year. Also if your offensive philosophy is to run the football how come your O line is constantly not up to snuff. Even though I think part of the pass pro problem is Russ . So frustrating to see people like Conklin just get passed over for 3 sub par players. We had multiple chances this offseason to upgrade the center position. We had multiple opportunities to fix this secondary this season. Why are we constantly lining Dunlap up to cover Wr's. Most people on this board if they were honest with themselves knew they were going to struggle. I appreciate what he has done for this team throughout the years. In Pete we trust Im sorry I just dont trust him anymore to lead this team.

Fade

Reaction score
I would like for Pete to keep his dignity and retire at the end of the season. It would preserve his legacy, and the fanbase would chock up his failure to him just getting old.

The longer he stays the worse it's going to get. Retire Pete.

RiverDog

Reaction score
Fade":1t6pxfb5 said:
I would like for Pete to keep his dignity and retire at the end of the season. It would preserve his legacy, and the fanbase would chock up his failure to him just getting old.

That would be my preferred solution, too. But if his "win forever" creed is more than just a buzz word phrase for him to sell more copies of his book, do you truly think that he'd go out with his tail between his legs after going something like 6-11?

JustTheTip

Reaction score
Axe him now and put Waldron in as interim. This will let the team know if he will fit as part of the rebuild.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Fade":2vrqtntf said:

While I agree with you, it'll never happen.

Look how stubborn Pete's been with his coaches, scheme, playcalling philosophy and loyalty to stiffs like Flowers.

He certainly doesn't have the capacity to swallow his pride and admit the game's passed him by. I can't see that ever happening.

I was so jealous watching the Chargers game yesterday. It was like watching a different league or something, seeing Herbert under Brandon Staley going for it on their own 22 and playing a modern NFL game.

JustTheTip

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":29mwajom said:
Fade":29mwajom said:

Look how stubborn Pete's been with his coaches, scheme, playcalling philosophy and loyalty to stiffs like Flowers.

He certainly doesn't have the capacity to swallow his pride and admit the game's passed him by. I can't see that ever happening.

I was so jealous watching the Chargers game yesterday. It was like watching a different league or something, seeing Herbert under Brandon Staley going for it on their own 22 and playing a modern NFL game.

Beyond that seasons are likely going to be wasted figuring things out. May as well start with what is left of this one. There are still 12 games to use for evaluation.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
JustTheTip":3486cbfm said:
Sgt. Largent":3486cbfm said:
Fade":3486cbfm said:

Beyond that seasons are likely going to be wasted figuring things out. May as well start with what is left of this one. There are still 12 games to use for evaluation.

Start what?

What evaluation metrics can you pull out of a lost season with a backup QB more than likely playing the majority of the games?

Waldron hasn't even proven he's a good OC, let alone has the ability and command to take over the HC job.

And like I said numerous times now, I don't believe Jody Allen will fire Pete now, at the end of the season or even before his extension runs out. There is no one more powerful in the organization right now than Pete, and John's a close 2nd.

Those are the two guys running things, and without a passionate owner that knows the sport and can see that Pete's lost it, which is not a person who inherited an NFL team with no acumen or stomach to fire a SB winning HC in the middle of a season.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Pete isn't going to fire himself.

What he is going to do is claw onto power for years, wear out his welcome, likely drive off Wilson (might have already happened), and eventually leave this team with an empty cupboard when he is finally forced out (2-3 years from now).

Our only hope is that because he is 70+, age catches up to him and he has to retire for health reasons. Maybe it just becomes exhausting?

But he will NEVER admit he failed. He isn't going to fire himself. And our new owners won't fire him because then they have to go looking for another coach.

My worry is they end up killing half our fan interest by keeping Pete, essentially assuring no hope - and turning half the fan base against him when he drives off Wilson. (Watch everyone call those fans who get sick of it 'fairweather fans')

(2 years of godawful Pete Ball with no Wilson is going to create an awful lot of Cards fans up here.)

JustTheTip

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":3qm4uhfs said:
Pete isn't going to fire himself.

What he is going to do is claw onto power for years, wear out his welcome, likely drive off Wilson (might have already happened), and eventually leave this team with an empty cupboard when he is finally forced out (2-3 years from now).

Our only hope is that because he is 70+, age catches up to him and he has to retire for health reasons. Maybe it just becomes exhausting?

But he will NEVER admit he failed. He isn't going to fire himself. And our new owners won't fire him because then they have to go looking for another coach.

My worry is they end up killing half our fan interest by keeping Pete, essentially assuring no hope - and turning half the fan base against him when he drives off Wilson. (Watch everyone call those fans who get sick of it 'fairweather fans')

(2 years of godawful Pete Ball with no Wilson is going to create an awful lot of Cards fans up here.)

I took this to be more of a "what would you like to see" thread not a "what do you think will happen" thread.

JustTheTip

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3mmp40kh said:
JustTheTip":3mmp40kh said:
Sgt. Largent":3mmp40kh said:
Fade":3mmp40kh said:

Start what?

What evaluation metrics can you pull out of a lost season with a backup QB more than likely playing the majority of the games?

Waldron hasn't even proven he's a good OC, let alone has the ability and command to take over the HC job.

And like I said numerous times now, I don't believe Jody Allen will fire Pete now, at the end of the season or even before his extension runs out. There is no one more powerful in the organization right now than Pete, and John's a close 2nd.

Those are the two guys running things, and without a passionate owner that knows the sport and can see that Pete's lost it, which is not a person who inherited an NFL team with no acumen or stomach to fire a SB winning HC in the middle of a season.

While I agree with pretty much everything you are saying, I took this to be "what would you like to see." Axe Pete and KNJ, throw Waldron into the pool to sick or swim (you will find out what you have in him real quick) and see what you can see of the talent when they aren't confined by Pete's bullshit (and that is the best way I can put what Pete provides these days.) No, I don't think Waldron is the next logical step for head coach, but you aren't going to get that in the middle of the season and you can get some information by getting rid of Pete.

Latest posts