Poll: Does JS Stay At #5 Or Trade Out?

Does Schneider Stay At #5 Or Trade Out?

• Yep, he trades out. He can't help himself to snag more draft picks.

Votes: 42 47.2%
  • He stays put. He's going to hold firm and grab the best available player at #5.

Votes: 47 52.8%

• Total voters

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
What do you think? If history serves, I would say he trades out.

AgentDib

Reaction score
There are two ideal situations in my book as of Feb 4. In the first, Anderson or Carter are available and we stay put and take them. If Geno signed for less than three years or elsewhere then I'd also consider a QB.

In the second, Anderson and Carter are gone but a team wants the 3rd QB/1st OT/1st WR/1st CB enough to give us a good deal to move up. For example, the Falcons giving us pick #44 (or more) to move down a few spots so they can take Levis. This draft has really good day 2 prospects.

The second scenario is more likely than the first right now because I think we'll probably resign Geno and both defensive linemen will be off the board by #5.

massari

Reaction score
John Schneider has been vocal in the past about not doing a good enough job at continuing to bring in QBs through the draft even when they have a starter set in stone, like when he and the Packers drafted Rodgers in the 1st with Favre already penciled in as a lock to start. And there were the rumors that he was going to draft high upside/low floor QBs Mahomes and Allen if either fell to the Hawks in the 1st, even when they had Wilson, a guy they thought highly enough to make the highest paid player in the league a couple of years later.

With that, even if they sign Geno long term, I think they stay put at #5 if Carter, Anderson, Stroud or Young are still on the board. They're finally in a position to draft a quality QB prospect, so it seems they won't trade down if they think highly enough of either one, or maybe even guys like Tyree Wilson, Levis or Richardson if they have great combines and interview well.

Last edited:

seabowl

Reaction score
Impossible to say. Depends on who is taken in the first four picks. Also, although not likely, what if he trades up?

BASF

Reaction score
Impossible to say. Depends on who is taken in the first four picks. Also, although not likely, what if he trades up?
I don't think anyone in this draft is worth moving up for with our first pick. As much as I like Carter, a lot of people believe he wouldn't crack the top ten in a talent laden draft. There are serious doubts regarding all but one of the QB's (oh he comes from a school that has been historically bad with QBs going to the NFL). As good as Will Anderson is, his production dropped significantly last season, so the talk of being a generational talent tailed off.

FrodosFinger

Reaction score
Stay. There’s 2 really great edge in Wilson and Murphy no reason to trade out

WarHawks

Reaction score
JS has never traded out of the top ten. I think Levis will be there at 5, but that seems like a reach, even though other teams would differ. Hard to believe they pass on a guy like Wilson to trade back.

FrodosFinger

Reaction score
At the end of the day the Hawks need players, difference makers not assets. You trade back when you want rotational guys. We need a couple of bad asses on the D line and at linebacker

QWERTY

Reaction score
It all depends on FA.

Raiders needs a QB
Panthers definitely needs an QB
Jets need a QB
Patriots need a WR
Bucs need a QB.
Saints need a QB

I can see all these teams trading for the #5 pick.

sutz

Reaction score
Voting "stay" but it's only 60/40 at best IMO. A lot depends on the Geno situation, whether or not it has been resolved in some way by April or not. I don't see any huge splashes in FA, so there are numerous dependencies wrapped up in this.

We all know J&S like to trade back for more picks, but we have 10 this year, so numbers aren't really a problem like a couple of years ago when we only had 4 going in. They have taken a couple of top 10 picks when we've had them, so I'm hedging on them staying put, though I wouldn't be surprised if they do move. I'd hate for them to move out of the top 10, though.

WarHawks

Reaction score
It is comforting that whenever they've had a top ten pick, they have made the most of it. Cross, Earl, etc

Ozzy

Reaction score
I think they stay out and have 1-2 players they would stay for and one makes it. Probably a QB and a defensive player

BASF

Reaction score
It is comforting that whenever they've had a top ten pick, they have made the most of it. Cross, Earl, etc
Earl was at 14. Russell Okung was the early pick that year at 6. He and Charles Cross are the only top ten picks we have had under Schneider.

massari

Reaction score
They've had a top 12 with an opportunity to pick Fletcher Cox, then traded down 3 spots to pick Irvin

QWERTY

Reaction score
They've had a top 12 with an opportunity to pick Fletcher Cox, then traded down 3 spots to pick Irvin
Holy s&&& I forgot about this but with mix feelings because Cox is a great DT but I still believe Irvin was a great player as a spy to chase mobile QB. But the 4th and 6th round picks to move 3 slots back is so cheap.

Rat

Reaction score
It all depends on FA.

Raiders needs a QB
Panthers definitely needs an QB
Jets need a QB
Patriots need a WR
Bucs need a QB.
Saints need a QB

I can see all these teams trading for the #5 pick.
Those teams are probably going to want to get ahead of Houston and Indy.

WarHawks

Reaction score
Earl was at 14. Russell Okung was the early pick that year at 6. He and Charles Cross are the only top ten picks we have had under Schneider.
You're right, I thought Earl was 10. My bad.