Point Differential of 36

kidhawk

Reaction score
we are 8 games over .500 but only have a point differential of 36 points. That's only 4.5 points per game. That is crazy. It's no wonder Seahawks fans are putting portable defibrillators on their Christmas lists.

justafan

Reaction score
Shannon Sharp said something about what makes us dangerous is not everyone has the stomach to win those kind of games. Its true not everyone thrives under pressure. I would love some blowouts though.

OP
OP
kidhawk

kidhawk

Reaction score
justafan":1m0lqsty said:
Shannon Sharp said something about what makes us dangerous is not everyone has the stomach to win those kind of games. Its true not everyone thrives under pressure. I would love some blowouts though.

There's a lot of truth to that. Pete's Seahawks never seem to quit. That is in large part due to Pete's coaching, but it's also a monumental testament to Wilson. Not only does Wilson never quit (even in games where the outcome seems inevitable), his attitude and his history of winning games in the 4th quarter have made believers out of everyone around him.

It would be nice though to actually win a game by 36 instead of having a Point margin total of 36 for the season.

Mad Dog

Reaction score
justafan":1ghx6juo said:

Yeah I think we've shown enough resiliency for all the object lessons Pete needs this year.

Can't win the game in the first quarter, rah rah. I swear sometimes Pete dials it back just to keep things closer than they need to be just to test the team's mettle.

Anyway, Cardiac Seahawks is better than the polar opposite Chargers that have been losing one score games all season.

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
kidhawk":11gtpr5g said:
we are 8 games over .500 but only have a point differential of 36 points. That's only 4.5 points per game. That is crazy. It's no wonder Seahawks fans are putting portable defibrillators on their Christmas lists.

Its actually 3 points/game. 36/12=3. Sorry, but its the teacher in me.

Ozzy

Reaction score
It worries me a little but we've also had a crazy amount of fluke plays that I think play a hand as well with a couple of pick 6's, another fumble leading to a TD etc. Green Bay and the Saints are pretty close in this number as well. I think we're fine.

HawkStrong

Reaction score
https://www.reddit.com/r/Seahawks/comme ... _of_56_in/

They are the eighth team to have a point differential of less than 90 in 10+ wins through 12 games, and (spoiler!) four of the five others who had a fair shot won the Super Bowl. Apparently teams that are resilient under pressure perform well when the pressure ramps up. Go figure!

Here they are:

85 PD: 2019 Saints, still battling

84: 2006 Colts, champs, went 9-0, then 2-4, then 5-0

82: 2003 Pats, champs, went 2-2, then 15-0, with their only blowouts in weeks 2 and 17

78: 2015 Broncos, champs, went 7-0, then 3-4, then 5-0, defensive masters who persevered through the ineptitude of ghost-Peyton and Brock, zero blowout wins

78: 1986 Giants, champs, only lost in Dallas week 1 and Seattle week 7, won eight one-score games before five straight blowouts to win it all

78: 1978 Rams, 6-1 in games decided by 4 or fewer points, lost NFCCG largely due to their own mistakes: two missed field goals in a scoreless first half then watched as the Cowboys capitalized on three turnovers as they got increasingly desperate in a 0-28 loss

69: 2016 Raiders, 5-0 in games decided by 3 or fewer points, weren’t particularly respected by pundits, saw Derek Carr go down in week 16 and Matt McGloin in week 17 before losing in the wildcard with Connor Cook at the helm

56: 2019 Seahawks, currently 9-1 in one-score games, seem to always give up a score that’s below their talent level (which if fixed would bump the PD up near the champs’), sky’s the limit]

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Dang Kardiac Kids! Give those of us with hypertension a break for pete's sake! :240039:

mikeak

Reaction score
justafan":1d7vp9hr said:

I totally disagree

Sincerely,

LA Chargers

StoneCold

Reaction score
kidhawk":239xfufa said:
justafan":239xfufa said:

There's a lot of truth to that. Pete's Seahawks never seem to quit. That is in large part due to Pete's coaching, but it's also a monumental testament to Wilson. Not only does Wilson never quit (even in games where the outcome seems inevitable), his attitude and his history of winning games in the 4th quarter have made believers out of everyone around him.

It would be nice though to actually win a game by 36 instead of having a Point margin total of 36 for the season.

Listening to Russ on mike last night felt like a lot of cliches, kind of Russ' thing, I heard "No Fear" an awful lot. But I think that's more genuine than it feels. He does play without fear. He's always calm, somewhat robotic and moving forward with whatever situation arises. He reminds me of pilots who continue to fly the plane even when it's crashing, it's just their training. Think of Sully, "We're going in the Hudson." Spoken like he's going out to get the mail. And that attitude is rubbing off on this team instead of rubbing people the wrong way. "If Russ says we can go in the Hudson and still win this game? I'm going in the Hudson."

pmedic920

Reaction score
kidhawk":3l9gdl0n said:

This is the statistic that I heard mentioned at least twice this AM while watching the talking heads. It’s the main reason they didn’t really consider us a true threat to make a run at the SB.

SORRY I can’t provide links or even who said it, wasn’t paying that much attention. I was only listening while doing things around the house.

“Pardon the interruption”maybe was one of the shows.

Counter argument was made, this is what does make the Seahawks a threat.
They find a way to win the close ones, bad teams lose the close ones.

OP
OP
kidhawk

kidhawk

Reaction score
pmedic920":35ohbqk2 said:
kidhawk":35ohbqk2 said:

This is the statistic that I heard mentioned at least twice this AM while watching the talking heads. It’s the main reason they didn’t really consider us a true threat to make a run at the SB.

SORRY I can’t provide links or even who said it, wasn’t paying that much attention. I was only listening while doing things around the house.

They find a way to win the close ones, bad teams lose the close ones

The green text is exactly what I say every single week. With Pete at the helm and Wilson behind center, this team just seems to find a way to win the close games (or as we saw last night....not lose them).

sutz

Reaction score
kidhawk":2eu26kr9 said:
pmedic920":2eu26kr9 said:
kidhawk":2eu26kr9 said:

They find a way to win the close ones, bad teams lose the close ones

The green text is exactly what I say every single week. With Pete at the helm and Wilson behind center, this team just seems to find a way to win the close games (or as we saw last night....not lose them).
The real beauty of that statement is that it means that there is no magic bullet of how to beat the Seahawks. Take away one aspect of our game, we'll beat you some other way.

Example just last night. Everybody keeps spouting how we depend so much on the deep throws. Well, Minny went 2 high safeties and lots of deep zones to stop that. Most teams would switch to a short passing game. We said, "What? 7 in the box? No problem, we'll bring in #74, the most prolific eligible tackle in the league and run on you." Pretty much game over. They were a top 10 run defense and tried to rely on that. We beat them at their own game.

loafoftatupu

Reaction score
oldhawkfan":sy43618m said:
kidhawk":sy43618m said:

We didn't win 12 games, we won 10.

OP
OP
kidhawk

kidhawk

Reaction score
oldhawkfan":3af46y2t said:
kidhawk":3af46y2t said:

You are correct. I wasn't very clear about the way I came to that number. As we were 8 games above .500 I was washing out the other 4 games (2 wins and 2 losses) thus giving us a margin of victory of about 4.5 points per game.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
In the end I'd be willing to trade a lower points differential for Ws in each of the remaining 4 games. I may need to speak to my Dr. about blood pressure medication though.

niveky

Reaction score
kidhawk":28pat22k said:
justafan":28pat22k said:

I was thinking along a similar vein to this earlier today. The seahawks are kind of the elephant in the room out of all the teams. Everyone might feel like the other top teams are better but most of them would not want their team to be the one playing the Seahawks because they know it is going to be a knock down drag out fight basically 9.9/10 times they are going to come out on top in.

I also feel like even if other players/teams wouldn't admit it, it is pretty daunting to play a team that has shown time and time again to thrive in close/difficult games and is used to coming out on top in those situations. The confidence of other teams probably might not be quite as high at the start of the game and the longer the game goes on and they can't put the hawks away that has to be a big thing to leach at the resolve on the other team/players knowing how the the hawks are going to respond to that pressure.

I think after last night they have the best record in games decided by 4 points or less and that is 6-0.

Blitzer88

Reaction score
The Saints have a +50 point differential and are 7-0 in one possession games. Good teams just find a way to win.

cymatica

Reaction score
StoneCold":1xop9ow5 said:
kidhawk":1xop9ow5 said:
justafan":1xop9ow5 said:

Listening to Russ on mike last night felt like a lot of cliches, kind of Russ' thing, I heard "No Fear" an awful lot. But I think that's more genuine than it feels. He does play without fear. He's always calm, somewhat robotic and moving forward with whatever situation arises. He reminds me of pilots who continue to fly the plane even when it's crashing, it's just their training. Think of Sully, "We're going in the Hudson." Spoken like he's going out to get the mail. And that attitude is rubbing off on this team instead of rubbing people the wrong way. "If Russ says we can go in the Hudson and still win this game? I'm going in the Hudson."

I remember watching Hasselbecks face in some games when they would show a closeuup shot of the LOS. Sometimes you could just see that he looked scared or worried, eyes were a dead giveaway. Saw the same on Matt Ryans face when they played the Saints. I have never once seen this with Wilson, even when he is getting hammered. He always has the same calm, lazy eye look like he is just in the zone. His mental fortitude is off the charts and he obviously looks forward to high pressure situations

Latest posts