Pete caused the Adams fiasco from the start

AgentDib

Reaction score
But in 2021, the balloon popped. Even though he was healthy for most of the season, he didn't record a single sack.
He tore his shoulder in the final game of 2020 right? Then the criticism started coming in about poor tackling and lack of effort until he fully tore it the next season. Even then, there were still mixed opinions and some amount of optimism at the start of the following year right up until he tore his quad in the opener. You obviously remember it differently, but he's been a hot button topic for a few years now and the discussion has been about the trade value, contract value and injuries.

The problem was that he could have stayed healthy and they still gave to much for him. Everybody brings up the sacks, but seem to forget that the defense was being torched when they happened. It was an absolute travesty to depend on a safety for the pass rush, leaving the secondary short handed. They were giving up passing yards at a historical rate. The defense didn't settle in until Dunlap (a true pass rusher) was signed mid season.

The Adams trade can't be defended. It was wrong on every level.
We agree on something! Whether you view Adams as a safety or a LB, trading multiple first round picks and then giving him a huge contract is poor long-term roster building strategy when the meta is underpaying rookies. If the FO didn't think Adams could cover then the deal would have been even worse, I just don't buy the FO was that dumb.

GemCity

Reaction score
No one would’ve complained about the healthy, Jets version of JA.

I do find the OLB positioning to be a bit much. Blitzing DB? All day. Coverage? Nope.

He was in that ‘weird’ size zone. Much stronger and better built than most his height & weight but not enough to play to his strengths which were being close to the ball.

Ozzy

Reaction score
There are a lot of guys around the league that aren't two high type safeties but play down closer to the line of scrimmage. I think he was big enough to do a hybrid type roll or at least at times get away from how Pete was using him.

evergreen

Reaction score
People forget that the draft pics were covid picks. Not the same as normal draft picks. Covid extremely disrupted the first year's picks and to a degree the second year too. I can see the allure. Getting an LOB quality player? Yeah, make it happen John. Still, we got snookered.

bileever

Reaction score
Most likely based on things said by JS to do damage control on his reputation, to distance himself from a bad trade. Truth is somewhere in between (1) it was all Pete's fault and (2) it was all John's fault. John had Pete's ear, and even if Pete had the last word, John could have talked Pete out of something he really disagreed with.

Both Pete and John at the time wanted a new Kam Chancellor, and thought that's what Jamal Adams was going to be. Trying to get Adams wasn't the problem, the problem was the price, and that was wholly John's responsibility, to get the best deal possible. He failed at getting him at a good price. And then compounded that by negotiating a terrible contract. As many people said at the time of the trade, why didn't they make sure to renegotiate Adams's deal before the trade was finalized so he wouldn't have us over a barrel? Again, John's repsonsibility. JS is a good GM but I think one of his weaknesses is a lack of attention to detail. We've seen it again and again in the deals he negotiates and the trades that he makes, often giving up too much or not getting enough in return.

HawkRiderFan

Reaction score
I will come back to blaming Russ a bit :), saying his comments that of-season like we need more stars led to an aggressive move like this to try and put the team over the top and keep the main guy happy.

Thing is when they tried to. play to his strengths at time last year like blitzing, it still didn't;t work. Im thinking of the first TD Washington scored where Adams had Howell dead to rights, and missed the tackle leading to a TD pass.

I mean if your strength is being a big hitter and blitzed you can't miss when you get a clear shot

jammerhawk

Reaction score
There it is ROFL

Bad trade:
Bad Trade/Pick happens: Shhhhhh, Too early to judge
Bad Year 1: Too early to judge so don’t
Bad Year 2: This will be the year … but wasn’t so don’t judge
Player finally cut: Just move on and don’t discuss. Quit living in the past.
C’mon man!

Even if Schneider fessed up and took all the blame for the trade what difference would it make?

The team significantly overpaid for Adams, who was’t bad year one. He only made the ProBowl and set a league record for sacks by a DB, but was not good in coverage. After that, Adams got hurt, but also
still sucked in coverage. Thereafter I don’t think he was ever healthy for more than a game or two. He was demonstrably a bad trade acquisition. The team and JS gave him a very stupidly expensive contract based upon hope that he could be that Pro Bowl SS he was for the Jets. However, he wasn’t and collected big checks on IR.

Last year he came back from a really serious injury well before he was really healthy. That was on him, and he sucked. The team finally cut bait. However, there are still rumbles of his return as an OLB which would also be dumb. JS is in charge so if you are so interested the BLAME which you want assigned would be on him. He was the ostensible GM when the dumb contract was signed. So again the BLAME for that deal is on him, on reflection the trade was on PC. So there is LOTS OF BLAME GOING AROUND HERE. All three parties are to BLAME, maybe more.

WHAT DIFFERENCE DOES IT MAKE?

I’m not unhappy with blaming JS or PC or Adams or every DC that didn’t scheme Adams better. In the end so what? JS isn’t getting canned, Pete’s gone, and so is Adams, and the team is eating a big cap hit. So if it makes you feel good blame Schneider, it won’t change anything as you already want to ship JS out.

In the end it was a ridiculously bad trade, hugely expensive, and otherwise costly. You can throw rocks, but it makes no difference, assign blame, who cares.

It is time to move on. The team is clearly moving in a new direction.

Last edited:

HawkRiderFan

Reaction score
Thing with the contract....the team's hands were tied. Letting him walk after giving up 2 firsts would have been a disaster. Turns out the big c contract was too! But I think when you make a deal like that, the player has all the leverage in negotiations.

knownone

Reaction score
The article doesn't mention who ultimately made the trade. The rift—if you want to call it that—was over how Adams was used. Since we don't know how playing Adams exclusively LB would have worked out, the conclusions some people are drawing from Huard's comments are ridiculous. For example, assuming the report is accurate, how do we know the front office is right? We don't. Perhaps even more damning for the controversy. Jamal had a higher percentage of snaps around the LoS than almost any other safety in the league. And he still sucked.

Lets recap. We A) don't know who ultimately made the trade, B) don't know how Adams would have performed at LB, and C) Seattle's coaching staff played Adams at the LoS at an incredibly high rate, which didn't seem to matter since he was still bad against the run and pass.

So, why are we even bothering to assign blame retroactively?

seabowl

Reaction score
People forget that the draft pics were covid picks. Not the same as normal draft picks. Covid extremely disrupted the first year's picks and to a degree the second year too. I can see the allure. Getting an LOB quality player? Yeah, make it happen John. Still, we got snookered.
Two problems with this. First is people assumed Seattle’s two first round picks would be low first round picks. You cannot automatically assume that and low on behold the second first round pick was the 10th pick in the draft. Secondly, yes, this was during the Covid years, however, even if they were lower first round pics they were probably more valuable than during normal years as top players may have slipped down in the first round because of less evaluation of game tape due to Covid. I remember mentioning this when the point you are bringing up was mentioned back then as not really valid and actually works against the Seahawks.

GemCity

Reaction score
Thanks Gem. I was expecting something on the lines of - 'Of course you would. You complain about everything'. LOL.

You wouldn't be far off if you had said that.
I’ve ‘grown’ a bit in those regards. I appreciate this community and if we all had the same opinion, it would be boring…

To be honest, I agree with the high cost for a safety. I think I should’ve said something to the effect of we would be a little less concerned had he lived up to his Jets days.

I like your posts pitt! Even when/if I don’t agree.