Penny out for extended period

Reaction score
I thought Penny was the best back in the league when healthy. If the guy got hurt in any way shape or form people were going to clown the guy. He was my favorite player on the team and I think it sucks. I hope he resigns like Fade said earlier in the post the bright side is he returns. Wish him a speedy recovery. I just made up a nick name for him crease mode and then this happens it sucks.

HawkRiderFan

Reaction score
Good point about backs familiar with the Rams system with our offensive coaching coming from there. I wonder if there is anyone on their p.r. right now to pick up? I guess for now Darwin Thompson gets elevated this week, but pretty thing there now.

RiverDog

Reaction score
It turns out that the initial reports weren't completely accurate. Penny sustained a fracture to his left fibula, not tibia.

Ian Rapoport of NFL Media reports that doctors will determine whether or not he needs surgery on the fractured fibula he suffered in Sunday’s loss to the Saints. Rapoport had previously reported Penny fractured his tibia, but his Monday report corrects that mistake.

I don't know what difference, if any, this makes in his recovery time. The tibia is the larger of the two bones, indeed, the 2nd largest in the human body and bears the most weight, so it would seem to this layman that it's not as serious as it would have been had he fractured the larger bone. Both are said to have a recovery time of 6 weeks to 4 months.

Does anyone else have any info they can share on the severity of injury to the tibia vs. fibula?

GeekHawk

Reaction score
When I got T-boned on my motorcycle in '04, the tibia was broken into like 4 pieces and the bottom half of the fibula was crushed into an oatmeal consistency that was held together by the cartilage sheath of the bone. The tibia healed up, except for the big-assed plate and a dozen or more screws. The fibula healed up, except unbeknownst to me or the bone doctor it healed into two separate bones that weren't joined. They overlapped, so they looked like a single bone on an x-ray from the side. Anyway, I was like that for a couple years, getting back to walking and trying to rehab the leg by doing single-leg presses at the gym. I could never get above 155 pounds with the bad leg until I got it fused back together (another permanent plate + screws), but otherwise I had no idea it was still broken. I just figured that the muscles were taking a long time to get strength back.

So with all that, I would say that the fibula being the broken bone is probably the least-bad case.

Gio

Reaction score
Feel for the guy. He's a great back. Every year we are unlucky. Carson , Penny , Adams...

hoxrox

Reaction score
What a bummer on multiple levels.

m0ng0

Reaction score
I sure hope Walker is ready, this is what you call trial by fire. Hopefully his body can hold up, if not we are in big trouble which will cause Geno all kinds of problems.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
Yeah let's bag on the guy for being injury-prone after an opponent twists his leg and breaks it. Nice.

It doesnt matter how it happened, we just know it always does. Penny getting hurt at some point in the season is as predictable as waking up in the morning. Sure, there's a chance it might not happen, but it always does.

OP
OP
Maelstrom787

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
It doesnt matter how it happened, we just know it always does. Penny getting hurt at some point in the season is as predictable as waking up in the morning. Sure, there's a chance it might not happen, but it always does.
When talking about how inherently injury-prone a player is, the circumstances of the injury actually DO matter. A lot.

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
It turns out that the initial reports weren't completely accurate. Penny sustained a fracture to his left fibula, not tibia.

Ian Rapoport of NFL Media reports that doctors will determine whether or not he needs surgery on the fractured fibula he suffered in Sunday’s loss to the Saints. Rapoport had previously reported Penny fractured his tibia, but his Monday report corrects that mistake.

I don't know what difference, if any, this makes in his recovery time. The tibia is the larger of the two bones, indeed, the 2nd largest in the human body and bears the most weight, so it would seem to this layman that it's not as serious as it would have been had he fractured the larger bone. Both are said to have a recovery time of 6 weeks to 4 months.

Does anyone else have any info they can share on the severity of injury to the tibia vs. fibula?

Trey Lance suffered a similar injury to His fibula involving the ankle. He is on a scooter now.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
When talking about how inherently injury-prone a player is, the circumstances of the injury actually DO matter. A lot.

Agree to disagree. Dont care if its luck, purposely, or even some kind of fluke, Penny gets hurt. Its just what he does. He's brittle.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
If someone comes up to you and sets you on fire, are you more "prone to flames" than the average person?

Where normal people would swat the fire and put it out, Penny would ignite. Its just the way it is.