Penalties continues to be an issue

nanomoz

Reaction score
The refs called a few holding penalties when the blocker in question had their hands inside the shoulder pads. You don't see that much. They're really targeting jersey grabbing like I've never seen.

Highlordb

Reaction score
We had too many holding calls....at least none of them hurt us as badly as SF's penalties did them....but it needs to be fixed.

THE TABS

Reaction score
It's been a concern since the first preseason game. Six games later, it's still a concern. Keep hearing that they can be cleaned up, but it hasn't happened.

I love the fact that they play with a chip on their shoulder, and I don't want them to change that. However, the Sidney Rice penalty pissed me off. That can't happen. Stuff like that can cost us a win.

LawlessHawk

Reaction score
You know they could throw a flag on either team for something on almost every fricking play and this season it seems like they are and so much ticky tacky BS it's almost becoming unwatchable. Let'um freeking play. It's one of the reasons I don't watch the NBA...

ClumsyLurk

Reaction score
We're getting a lot of penalties right now - hopefully we can calibrate and learn exactly what we can get away with for later on down the road.

SonicHawk

Reaction score
If you're pulling a guy by his jersey you're going to get called.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
The holding is a problem, and the ball spin by Rice was pretty dumb, but otherwise the amount of penalties was not a big concern for me. I knew befroe that game it would be a big night for flags, the Refs were going to be hyper aware because of the rep of these two teams.

If there is a ton of flags vs Jacksonville, I will be a bit more miffed.

Hawks46

Reaction score
You knew Rice was going to get called for that next time he spun the ball. The Refs in the Panthers game talked to him about it and gave him various stink eyes when he did it.

I think we had 10 penalties to the Niners 12. They had more yardage than us, but also had a big PI penalty that racked up the yardage.

Seriously, the false starts and illegal formations crap has got to stop. I expected a few holding calls since their DL is much more physical than our OL has shown this year.

What I liked was very few penalties on the defense. That side of the ball really has their head on straight. They know that they get into other teams heads, not the other way around.

HawkWow

Reaction score
LawlessHawk":63sf0u3p said:
You know they could throw a flag on either team for something on almost every fricking play and this season it seems like they are and so much ticky tacky BS it's almost becoming unwatchable. Let'um freeking play. It's one of the reasons I don't watch the NBA...

Absolutely. A few years ago, they opposed instant replay cuz it would "slow the game down". WTH are all these penalties doing? Calling a portion of these infractions are akin to putting someone in prison for a gram of pot. Sure you can do it, or call it...but why...what was the harm?

I'm taking heat (like I care) from 9er fans today exclaiming they were hit more times than us. That cannot be argued, but that does not mean they suffered more than us. Unless I am mistaken (biased), the bulk of our calls went against us while the game was still tight, while the bulk of the 9er calls happened when the game was basically already decided. Possibly make up calls so it appeared less that we were (again) getting hosed. If so, we definitely got hit harder, despite the number of fouls called or yards associated. I could be wrong, but I think not.

Seaswab

Reaction score
Sidney Rice doesnt need to spin the ball, how about getting open and making some plays and getting in the endzone. Theres an idea

mikeak

Reaction score
Rice had two penalties that were STUPID

1) Spinning the ball after being warned twice. It was a tacky penalty as he did it away from the player on the ground but still hit a different 49er player. With that said it was correctly called and having been warned about it - don't do it again. Why ever do it - just not worth it

2) Holding on the Tate (could be wrong) play. It was a hold way up there. If you hold at the line I get it at times but there was no value there and cost yardage we didn't need to lose

We are lucky that Wrigt got the 49er to retaliate and we got the benefit of the penalty. If that is seen by the ref it is offsetting or worse the 49er guy doesn't react as stupidly and it is a personal foul against us.

No major issue with the holding penalties but didn't like those three situations

Seaswab

Reaction score
It was only a matter of time before they threw a flag on Rices ball spin. Yet he insists on doing it after every 5 yard catch. Dumb

Kixkahn

Reaction score
LawlessHawk":1ntq4czq said:
I heard they get fined in the NBA now for the overreaction to a foul. I haven't checked that yet. Taunting calls need to be gotten rid of completely that is a waste of time to make sure no one's feelings were hurt.

TheHawkster

Reaction score
Penalties happen when players on both sides are giving extra effort on every play.
Where was a ton of extra curricular jawing and pushing that wasn't shown on tv.

Both our teams have a lot of pride and SF wasn't dealing with getting shoved around very well.

tyshawkfan

Reaction score
These penalties are getting tiresome but im glad this has the ability to overcome what the refs try and take away