Panthers Came To Play

penihawk

Reaction score
Wow I'm a bit surprised by all the props for Cam here. The Panthers did come to play for sure and their defense is legit. Jonathan Stewart was great and their O line was much better than ours for 3 quarters. I feel like Cam still stares down receivers, esp when the field shrinks in the red zone, takes way too much time to get through his progressions, which he got in the 1st half and is not accurate on a consistent level. He played OK but if that was his best game, he's further away from legitimacy than I thought.
Congrats to Panthers fans for their team finishing strong and having something to look forward to for 2016. Go Hawks

morgulon1

Reaction score
kearly":3in331pw said:
If Rivera is a bad coach, he's never shown it in the way he prepares his teams for Seattle. Carolina had a better game plan to open the game than Seattle did. They guessed right on almost every Seahawks run play, and they got the Hawks to guess wrong on defense quite a few times as well.

When Newton is at his very best, he resembles Andrew Luck. The kind of QB that can beat our cover 3. I feel very fortunate that we got one of Newton's best games and still won. He bought time in the pocket like Tony Romo, while throwing with zip and accuracy. Carolina did their homework, running a lot of cover 3 beating throws in this game, mostly with success. And Carolina ran the ball pretty well, too.

I thought their undoing would be in the trenches, but Carolina's pass pro was mostly excellent, and their run defense didn't miss Lotulelei at all.

Even in the 4th quarter, it kinda sorta felt like Carolina was controlling the game, but Seattle was winning because of a huge edge in toxic differential.

I had a thought last night as I watched Newton on the sideline after throwing Chancellor the TD pass and he had a frustrated kind of bewildered look that looked to say " we've played our asses off and 31-10 is all we have to show for it"

Like many Seahawk games, our team weathers the storm and pulls away in the second half.

Cary Kollins

Reaction score
brimsalabim":3pr8xxjw said:
BlueThunder":3pr8xxjw said:
Awesome game! I thought it might be a struggle, and it was! I predicted a blowout, but it didn't turn out the way I thought. I thought it would be a total domination. WRONG! Panthers are tough! If they ever get Cam some real weapons, they will be, well.... Us!

Props to them... Definitely a "Worthy" opponent. I was really scared of them last year, and they still got some of that baddass left in 'em... Mad props...

"Get Cam some real weapons" ? I don't get this statement at all. He has a great OL, a young mega tron on the outside, a top notch possession receiver in Cotchery, a very good tight end, a great hard running back in Stewart and a solid full back in Tolbert.

Lol, just no.

Not sure if serious.

Cary Kollins

Reaction score
I'm happy with how the Panthers showed up.

They had to play a perfect game to beat Seattle in Seattle, and that wasn't what they did last night.

Props to the Seahawks for being a great team with the best secondary of all time.

Looking forward to another meeting in the playoffs next season. Good luck the rest of the way.

Lukeness Monster

Reaction score
bigskydoc":2uejeppg said:
If you go back and watch the first Carolina series, it looks to me like Cam was coached to relax before taking the snap. They get to the line, Cam stops, pauses, assumes an almost meditative facial pose for a split second then calls for the snap.

I am betting Rivera wanted him to take a few seconds after getting lined up to just get mentally right so that the Clink wouldn't get to him and get him overexcited and making mistakes.

Nicely done.

- bsd RPA

Solid observation but he's been doing that for a while now.

I do enjoy reading the comments about Cam, especially since most Panther fans thought he had a poor game. For me it was a mixed bag. He had some poor decisions and some magnificent throws. I wish he had the poise of Wilson...and a real LT, OC.

Seahawks are the best team in the league and are firing on all cylinders right now, however we missed some opportunities. Two bad drops on 3rd down hurt, too.

I can't think of a single team I'd favor over you guys right. I'd love to see you destroy Brady in the Super Bowl.

Seanhawk

Reaction score
I was very impressed by Cam at points last night, but he still made some poor decisions. Let's be real here, if Sherman and Earl catch two passes, poor passes and decisions by Cam, he has 4 INTs and the Panthers have 0 points deep in the 4th. He was making drive killing and team killing decisions all night long.

Lukeness Monster

Reaction score
brimsalabim":jeu3updp said:
BlueThunder":jeu3updp said:
Awesome game! I thought it might be a struggle, and it was! I predicted a blowout, but it didn't turn out the way I thought. I thought it would be a total domination. WRONG! Panthers are tough! If they ever get Cam some real weapons, they will be, well.... Us!

Props to them... Definitely a "Worthy" opponent. I was really scared of them last year, and they still got some of that baddass left in 'em... Mad props...

"Get Cam some real weapons" ? I don't get this statement at all. He has a great OL, a young mega tron on the outside, a top notch possession receiver in Cotchery, a very good tight end, a great hard running back in Stewart and a solid full back in Tolbert.

OL was one of the worst in the league in pass protection and LT Byron Bell is ranked 31st by PFF. Rookies started at both OG spots, one was a UDFA, though they played well. TE Olsen is one of the best all around TE's in the NFL, but we went away from him down the stretch for some reason. Benjamin, though plagued by untimely drops, was very good this year.

Cotchery was ok, his drop on the first series hurt and we've seen that from him all year. Brown has been good but we don't know how to use him - see Sherman int.

We have almost zero YAC threat on offense. For me the biggest single problem is the OC, he's just not NFL caliber.

Look ar Cam's time in the league and you see a disturbing trend. Rookie season he has Steve Smith, Brandon LaFell, Greg Olsen, Jeremy Shockey and he rewrites the rookie record book but goes 7-9 with the 32nd ranked D and ST.

Since then he has gotten better, as has the defense but his compliments on O are gone. The OC from his rookie year is gone, Pro Bowl LT Gross retired, LG Wharton retired, LaFell left via FA, so did Ginn Jr who flipped the field on a number of occasions and Steve Smith was jettisoned to end up with 1k yards in Baltimore.

Cam has shown he can carry an offense, but he can't do it alone. We're a couple big pieces away from being a complete team.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
kearly":1was9ct1 said:
When Newton is at his very best, he resembles Andrew Luck. The kind of QB that can beat our cover 3. I feel very fortunate that we got one of Newton's best games and still won.

I don't know that it was one of Newton's best games. He probably threw 5 INTs in this game if the Hawks could catch.

NFSeahawks

Reaction score
I was at the game.

The Panthers came to play.

I'd like to think the Panthers would have score no more than 6 with a healthy BMax in place of Simon.

Not big on Simon at this point, although hes still just a rookie.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
kearly":3rfaff5y said:
If Rivera is a bad coach, he's never shown it in the way he prepares his teams for Seattle. Carolina had a better game plan to open the game than Seattle did. They guessed right on almost every Seahawks run play, and they got the Hawks to guess wrong on defense quite a few times as well.

When Newton is at his very best, he resembles Andrew Luck. The kind of QB that can beat our cover 3. I feel very fortunate that we got one of Newton's best games and still won. He bought time in the pocket like Tony Romo, while throwing with zip and accuracy. Carolina did their homework, running a lot of cover 3 beating throws in this game, mostly with success. And Carolina ran the ball pretty well, too.

I thought their undoing would be in the trenches, but Carolina's pass pro was mostly excellent, and their run defense didn't miss Lotulelei at all.

Even in the 4th quarter, it kinda sorta felt like Carolina was controlling the game, but Seattle was winning because of a huge edge in toxic differential.

Great post Kearly and Great thread Aros. I agree the Panthers had a great game plan. However their execution wasn't on par with the plan. They made mistakes and paid for them. That was the difference. The Seahawks were able to play mistake free plus make more explosive plays than the Panthers. Kelvin Benjamin would look great in Seahawk blue, too bad it wasn't meant to be.

Hawks46

Reaction score
I'll admit I was wrong in a few areas:

I didn't think Carolina would run as well against us at home as they did. Glad to see Stewart is finally staying healthy. He's always been a beast when he could stay on the field.

I didn't think Carolina could get into the end zone. They had one garbage time TD against our soft zone, but they still traded blows with us early.

I have more repect for Cam Newton this game. He has all the tools, but he's always inconsistent. He really needs to work on decision making, but that's always been a knock. Once in a while, his mechanics go all wonky and he sails a throw or puts one in the dirt. He'll miss a wide open guy badly, and usually when the pressure is on.

WHen he threw that pick to Kam, he was pressing. The Panthers were down by multiple scores, we're in the 4th quarter, and they had to make something happen. That's not Newton's game; he's not polished enough to bring a team back consistently. He's still a beast though, with fractures in his back and everything.

I thought we'd run better with Lotuleilei out. I was pretty disappointed in how we ran. Someone said Lynch was vomiting, was he sick ? It seemed like when Turbin came in the game, he exploded through the hole faster than Lynch was doing. He was moving the pile and gaining good yards, but there's still tackles he won't break that Lynch will. Not a knock on him in the least bit, Lynch is the best in the NFL at breaking tackles.

I knew we'd damage the Panthers through the air, it was just a matter of being allowed to do it. I was very pleased with the time that the OL gave Wilson.

sutz

Reaction score
Cary Kollins":2vo5rh09 said:
I'm happy with how the Panthers showed up.

They had to play a perfect game to beat Seattle in Seattle, and that wasn't what they did last night.

Props to the Seahawks for being a great team with the best secondary of all time.

Looking forward to another meeting in the playoffs next season. Good luck the rest of the way.
I believe we'll see each other in the reg season, no? We're both Div Champs.

having said that, it would not surprise me at all if Carolina is back in the playoffs next season. I think you guys are up and comers.

OP
OP
AROS

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Cam needs to figure out how to be more consistent and accurate. He has the athletic ability and the ego to be a good QB but something is missing. I too think the Panthers will be in the thick of things next year in the NFC. Good to great defense, solid running game and if Cam can turn the corner, look out. However, this would be his, what, 5th year or 6th year? If he hasn't turned the corner by now, history says he likely won't ever turn the corner.

morgulon1

Reaction score
Aros":3ltd2oa7 said:
Cam needs to figure out how to be more consistent and accurate. He has the athletic ability and the ego to be a good QB but something is missing. I too think the Panthers will be in the thick of things next year in the NFC. Good to great defense, solid running game and if Cam can turn the corner, look out. However, this would be his, what, 5th year or 6th year? If he hasn't turned the corner by now, history says he likely won't ever turn the corner.

It could be coaching, there's hope. Remember Michael Vick and his turn around under Andy Reid ?

kearly

Reaction score
HawkFan72":vzhr25kc said:
kearly":vzhr25kc said:
When Newton is at his very best, he resembles Andrew Luck. The kind of QB that can beat our cover 3. I feel very fortunate that we got one of Newton's best games and still won.

I don't know that it was one of Newton's best games. He probably threw 5 INTs in this game if the Hawks could catch.

You wanna beat Seattle, you have to take chances. Have to. Newton took chances all game and was only truly burned for it once when his receiver forgot to come back to the ball. Our defense dominates by forcing QBs to make tough throws, and Newton made most of them.

Carolina finished with more yards, far more TOP, and significantly more first downs. They controlled the game, but Seattle simply made plays.

Newton faced one of the hottest defenses of all time in one of the toughest venues in NFL history while dueling a QB who posted the 5th best performance in playoff history, talk about a stacked deck. Yet Newton kept his team in the game for three quarters because he consistently made the throws he had to, particularly on 3rd down.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Like I said to my Wife...........THIS was a Night to remember.....Wilson to Willson.....Cam to Kam :)
Next weeks NFCCG game is going to be a big let down for the Packers BOOK IT.
Seahawks going to 49, and they are going to dominate. :twisted: