OPENING DAY!!!!!!

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
Great opening game!

This game somewhat resembles what I believe will be a bunch of games this season as it has been for many years previously.

Nothing for a bunch of innings and then wham, 2 or 3 runs within the late stages of the game!

Differences is Seattle has some talent at pitching and it will be up to the pitching to close out the games.

Offensively, if Seattle, is consistent, they have a chance as long as their pitching holds up. The starting rotation is a bit suspect IMO until we see how healthy they are come August and September. Seattle seems to fizzle out towards end of summer for pitching and that has been their Achilles heal. The offense seems to be more consistent than pitching and I like the Mariners offense but to get to that next tier of MLB powers and consistently beat Houston, Seattle, needs to be great at pitching.

Still exciting to be a Mariners fan right now!

Let’s go, M’s!

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Not to change the subject, but..........What do you guys think about Julio being leadoff this season? I kind of feel like he should be batting 2nd, but I can see both sides of the argument.

Thoughts? Just curious what you guys think, a lot of smart baseball fans in here.
If Wong could get on base consistently I agree.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Not to change the subject, but..........What do you guys think about Julio being leadoff this season? I kind of feel like he should be batting 2nd, but I can see both sides of the argument.

Thoughts? Just curious what you guys think, a lot of smart baseball fans in here.
I don't agree with Julio leading off. He should be 2nd or 3rd in the order. Just my 2 cents. Put someone with speed like Crawford there. Maybe having Rodriquez batting behind Wong or Crawford will help them with their BA as well. They certainly wouldn't be pitched around (for walks, etc).

Timberhawk

Reaction score
Anyone know why Castillo was pulled before qualifying for the Win? One hit, no runs, retired 12 straight but he doesn’t qualify for the W so Sewold earns it? Seems like there must have been a reason??? Thanks!

Crizilla

Reaction score
He didn't have the lead when he left the game. Both Beiber and Castillo left with the score 0-0. No runs were scored the half innings they left the game thus the pitchers of record went to the bullpen pitchers. He was probably pulled that early because it was opening day and there's no reason to milk your ace on opening day. Perfectly managed game IMO.

On a side note, for those who thought the game went too quickly, it was the fastest game on opening day at 2 hours and 14 minutes. Most games went about 2 hours and 30 minutes. I like the faster pace but these batter violations are silly.

sutz

Reaction score
Anyone know why Castillo was pulled before qualifying for the Win? One hit, no runs, retired 12 straight but he doesn’t qualify for the W so Sewold earns it? Seems like there must have been a reason??? Thanks!
Pitch count, mostly would be my guess. It's early in the season. He hasn't thrown more than about 80 yet, so why let him throw 100 pitches in an end-of-March game. He's still stretching out.

Plus, he just took a 96 mph line drive off his noggin. ;)

bileever

Reaction score
Here is an odd stat I saw today. The Mariners have the best winning percentage on opening day in the American League:

Mariners .617
Orioles .590
Yankees .567

Too bad opening day is only 0.6 percent of the games in a season.

OP
OP
S

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Tough weekend. They had no business losing yesterday. Cleveland came back to win in all 3 victories. Lame

Latest posts