One positive - One negative

Seymour

Reaction score
Smellyman":1nhl66e4 said:
hawknation2017":1nhl66e4 said:
Positives: No injuries except Paul Richardson's shoulder, Nazair Jones, Cassius Marsh, Trevone Boykin, Kasen Williams, Chris Carson, Mike Davis (can he play FB?), Terence Garvin, Blair Walsh, Justin Britt, Ethan Pocic, George Fant, Luke Joeckel, etc.

Negatives: Right side of the starting offensive line in both run game & pass pro, lack of pass rush from Rubin/Reed, late covering the TE, getting completely shredded again by Phillip Rivers, nothing inspiring from Rawls/Lacy, etc.

Ifedi was quite bad. Slow feet, beat inside, beat outside. Terrible in pass pro as a guard. Early returns awful at RT. I don't know how it was a good idea for him to kick outside. Pocic needs to be there.

I've been saying that since we heard that was their plan. It's a crappy plan and stinks of desperate to find somewhere for him. I cannot ever remember a player failing so bad a guard succeeding at tackle (being noticeably better there).

That said, as a whole I like what I saw from the oline in that game. It's still early, and that may not have been a great test, but I'll take if for game 1.

Sparkchaser737

Reaction score
Positive: Blair Walsh. Aside from the offensive line, this was my biggest concern for the team going into this season

Negative: Alex Collins. He flashed at the end of last year, but returned to his old form of diving just short of what he needed. Got stood up, and barely made it in on his TD run. Unlike Carson who barreled in with a purpose

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

HawkGA

Reaction score
These aren't really positives or negatives but some general takeaways:

I don't AC will make the team. Doesn't have anything to do with his performance other than that he came out after Carson and I don't think he did anything to change that.

JD however-you-spell-his-last-name looks like he's being given a decent shot to make the team. That said, that shot is as a returner and would depend on them not having Lockett do it. My guess is that he goes to the practice squad as insurance in case Lockett gets hurt.

There were some d-line people making plays I had not heard of. Some was late in the game but not all of it. Could be more names in the mix than I was aware of.

P-Rich is done. Sad to see but getting hurt falling to the ground? There's no way he holds up for a whole season. He'll probably come back and play a few games but that will be it and then he'll be gone next year.

Kearse stays with the team this year but will find himself as the 4th receiver sooner rather than later.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Positive: Wilhoite

Negative: P-Rich's injury, dude's more brittle than the bubble boy.

Grahamhawker

Reaction score
Pos- Naz Jones made some impact plays- looks like a keeper

Neg- the Baldwin/Babs insurance company drama-ads

gowazzu02

Reaction score
Positive: I m going the other way. Im saying Oline play. You guys forget just how bad it was in the preseason last year? Sure you could find a few plays where guys got beat. But in preseasons past they were WAYYYY worse.

Neg: Mr. Glass I mean P Rich...

sutz

Reaction score
Positive: Attitude and dedication. They came out ready to play (well, maybe not the #1 defense ;) ) and maintained that throughout the game. Everybody looked like they were fighting for a spot on the roster.

Negative: Hmmm, injuries. PRich is running out of time. A shoulder injury could take weeks, valuable weeks he needs to get into a groove. He might be done as a Seahawk. An injury settlement and release would not surprise me. :(

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Positive = collective depth and Carson.

Negative = disappointment with all the rookie 'drafted DBs', except Griffin, plus Injuries to Simone and Richardson.

Sorry that's two each.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
ACFan":126gi23u said:
iigakusei":126gi23u said:
Negative - Collins, he isn't bad but he just doesn't do anything really well. Bye bye.

Not sure why you'd single Collins out as a negative.

Probably because he was playing much longer, against future cut bait, while the others were playing against starters.

Carson was playing against backups, too, but he came into the game ahead of Collins on the roster.

YPC is a terrible metric.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Seymour":b7ruzhcr said:
Smellyman":b7ruzhcr said:
hawknation2017":b7ruzhcr said:
Positives: No injuries except Paul Richardson's shoulder, Nazair Jones, Cassius Marsh, Trevone Boykin, Kasen Williams, Chris Carson, Mike Davis (can he play FB?), Terence Garvin, Blair Walsh, Justin Britt, Ethan Pocic, George Fant, Luke Joeckel, etc.

Negatives: Right side of the starting offensive line in both run game & pass pro, lack of pass rush from Rubin/Reed, late covering the TE, getting completely shredded again by Phillip Rivers, nothing inspiring from Rawls/Lacy, etc.

Ifedi was quite bad. Slow feet, beat inside, beat outside. Terrible in pass pro as a guard. Early returns awful at RT. I don't know how it was a good idea for him to kick outside. Pocic needs to be there.

I've been saying that since we heard that was their plan. It's a crappy plan and stinks of desperate to find somewhere for him. I cannot ever remember a player failing so bad a guard succeeding at tackle (being noticeably better there).

They probably put him there because he played tackle in college more than guard.

Seymour

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":3j06fxqf said:
Seymour":3j06fxqf said:
Smellyman":3j06fxqf said:
hawknation2017":3j06fxqf said:

They probably put him there because he played tackle in college more than guard.

Hopefully they figure it out before it counts. Maybe they could find a security position for him somewhere? Paul's Octopussy may need a tough guy to guard from pirates. That should work as long as Clark doesn't become a pirate. :twisted:

Hawkscanner

Reaction score
When I started watching, the game clock was at about 9:28 in the 1st quarter, so I ended up missing most of the work of the starting units. So, I can only comment on what I saw ... and I saw far more positives than negatives overall ...

Some Positives ...

Chris Carson -- I loved what I saw from Chris Carson. He ran with a whole lot of toughness/aggressiveness. He hit the hole quick -- not a ton of wasted motion dancing around. I absolutely loved that 10 yard burst that he had -- exactly what you want to see. If he were somehow forced to start, I'd be quite comfortable with that.

Offensive Line as a whole -- for the most part, that unit played really well I thought. It sounds like there were some issues against the #1's of San Diego, but as a whole, they kept all of Seattle's QB's jerseys clean. They looked good in both pass protection and were regularly blasting holes for the RB's. That was probably one of my biggest overall positive takeaways from this game IMO.

Trevone Boykin – Outside of that last throw that he threw that got intercepted (and he even admitted that was a mistake) … I thought Boykin looked really good. He looked decisive, stood strong in the pocket, made accurate throws, and scrambled at appropriate times when he couldn’t find an open receiver. At this moment in time (barring any roster additions), I’d say he’s the backup QB. No question about it because I was underwhelmed by Davis.

Ethan Pocic -- WOW! What an asset. He certainly has that "dirtbag" mentality that you love to see. Really physical and I personally loved seeing him consistently getting to the 2nd level and putting guys on the ground. Love his versatility. It's going to be hard to keep him out of the starting lineup.

Kasen Williams -- Had a very good night overall. That long catch down the sideline was extremely impressive. I'd agree with those who are saying that he's going to be hard to keep off the 53 man roster.

David Moore -- I thought Moore very quietly had a good game as well. He ran what looked like some fairly crisp routes, looked quick, and had a couple of nice catches. Good start for the rookie.

Seattle's Front 7 -- As a whole looked dominant most of the night. I don't know if that was more of a function of just how good and deep Seattle's D truly is ... or how inept San Diego's 2nd and 3rd Offensive Line unit was. There were so many plays that were being made that I was saying to myself, “WHO THE HECK IS THAT GUY?!? Lots of plays being made by guys who have zero shot at making this team.

Some Negatives …

Injuries -- Seattle got out of this game pretty unscathed for the most part. I never like seeing rookies like Amara Darboh get hurt (report on him was a bruised sternum), as they need all the reps they can get. Hopefully his issue isn’t all that serious and won’t cost him a lot of time. Paul Richardson is the more concerning one, as I’m honestly wondering if his future on this team isn’t now really in jeopardy. Sometimes your greatest asset is your availability … and for whatever reason if you can’t stay on the field, the team will eventually move on without you. He has been injured off and on throughout his career, so I’m wondering (if this lingers) if this might not be it for him.

Mike Tyson – He got burned on a long completion late in the game. That’s never a good sign (especially given the level of competition he’s going up against).

Alex Collins – I was not all that impressed with Collins tonight in all honesty. I thought he ran high at times and wasn’t nearly as physical as Chris Carson. He also dropped a pass to him out in the flat. Overall, I thought his overall performance was “MEH” at best. IMO, Carson definitely has the edge over him in the RB competition. At this moment in time, I’d give Carson the edge to takes his roster spot.

chris98251

Reaction score
Carson looks to be the kind of back come 3rd and 4th QTR nobody wants to see.

PlinytheCenter

Reaction score
I'm among those who were happy to see Blair Walsh perform well. The devil is in the details people and if he's not on his game, we lose games (6 - 6 tie anyone?) so congrats to him for a solid start as a Seahawk.

Collins lost his spot on the team yesterday in my humble opinion. Too much quality depth to keep him.

All in all, a very fun game to watch and hopefully a glimpse of things to come this season.

LeftHandSmoke

Reaction score
Haven't watched the replay so could be wrong but on the TD that AC punched in:

Did he get hit so hard in the chest that on his way off the field he threw up?

I think he returned a bit later but he sure looked hurt after that TD run when he was shown sitting on the sideline, head down.

edit: this play but I don't see the vomit in this part of it, perhaps it happened a moment after :11
https://youtu.be/MHngQn47QcY

ACFan

Reaction score
Just seems to be a double standard, every RB looked "MEH" (outside of maybe Carson), but it only hurts Collins. everyone else gets a pass.

I get it, Collins really needs to show out to make the team, and I was certainly hoping for more from him in the 1st preseason game. I just disagree that his performance was the biggest single negative of the game.

He was evaluated in the passing game and short yardage situations primarily, and did "OK" or "meh" if you like.

Hopefully he'll be evaluated in more broad situations and can make the best of them the next 3 games.

I know what it'll mean if he doesn't "wow" then.

LeftHandSmoke":1xz27499 said:
Haven't watched the replay so could be wrong but on the TD that AC punched in:

Did he get hit so hard in the chest that on his way off the field he threw up?

I think he returned a bit later but he sure looked hurt after that TD run when he was shown sitting on the sideline, head down.

edit: this play but I don't see the vomit in this part of it, perhaps it happened a moment after :11
https://youtu.be/MHngQn47QcY

There's a certain way or spot you can get hit in the gut that can make you toss your cookies, I guess that's what happened to AC, he returned. Prosise would have been hospitalized.

LolaRox

Reaction score
Positive - Team enthusiasm/chemistry.

You can clearly see that this team is together. The way they celebrated with each other after big plays and when they all took a knee when Jordan Simone was down on the field - all examples of that togetherness. I even liked when the kickoff team raced down to the end zone, after each touchback, (as they do at home) only to be met with boos from the Charger fans :lol:

It just seemed like they were having a good time out there.

Negative - Ifedi *womp womp*

TalontedNoseRider

Reaction score
TalontedNoseRider":1236313n said:
Positive: Blair Walsh

Negative: Tedric Thompson/Delano Hill combo platter

Totally agree.

Boy named Blair continues to moisten under garments.

Tedric Thompson a skid mark.