*OFFICIAL* - DeBoer headed to Alabama

sutz

Reaction score
Well that sucks. But given half the roster were 5 and 6 year vets bound for the NFL maybe not surprising.

Disappointing TBS.

NoGain

Reaction score
I can't fault someone for wanting to leave for a new job with better pay and a greater opportunity for success. It totally sucks, but that's life.

CactusJack

Reaction score
Ryan Grubb should take over. Assuming he does, UW will be in good hands.

Last edited:

12AngryHawks

Reaction score
Geesh. What an ascension for Deboer. Going from coaching a small college in South Dakota to being the guy chosen to replace the greatest college football coach of all time, just wow! I've been a fan of Deboer since his days at Fresno State, but can I bring myself to stop rooting against Alabama? Not sure.

Sucks for Washington, they finally got a guy that nearly brought them to the mountain top, then he leaves after 2 seasons. They should think about giving the HC job to Grubb.

Flyingsquad23

Reaction score
Grubb will be going with DeBoer. Saban wanted him last year and he turned it down to run it back with Penix.

NoGain

Reaction score
Grubb will be going with DeBoer. Saban wanted him last year and he turned it down to run it back with Penix.
I don't know what's going on behind the scenes, but if Grubb was offered the UW job, that would be a HUGE get for him and his career.

CPHawk

Reaction score
I don't know what's going on behind the scenes, but if Grubb was offered the UW job, that would be a HUGE get for him and his career.
UW has no money for recruiting or nil. That’s why the AD left and that’s why KD left. Grubb knows that also.

bileever

Reaction score
Nick Saban was getting $11 million a year. UW is paying DeBoer $4.2 million a year. Who can walk away from getting $7 million more? Plus I suppose the main advantage you have at Alabama is the ability to recruit better.

CallMeADawg

Reaction score
Hell of a deal for him. Bummer for UW but from a career standpoint this is huge for Coach DeBoer. Congrats!

Seahawks4life

Reaction score
Nick Saban was getting $11 million a year. UW is paying DeBoer $4.2 million a year. Who can walk away from getting $7 million more? Plus I suppose the main advantage you have at Alabama is the ability to recruit better.

"Washington offered DeBoer a seven-year deal worth an average of $9.4 million annually to stay, The Associated Press reports. DeBoer's high-powered agent, Jimmy Sexton, also represents Saban."

Link

Its been reported since October they offered Deboer 9m+ not including bonuses so at least they tried to keep him, But more money and huge recruiting opportunity definitely hurts the Dawgs.

bileever

Reaction score
Now that I've thought about it for a minute, I think DeBoer would be a fool to go to Alabama.

There are several reasons why DeBoer shouldn't go there: First, I think one of the reason Saban is hanging them up is that he thinks that NILs have really cut into Alabama's recruiting edge.

Second, there won't be that much difference in salary between Alabama and the UW. With the Big 10 TV money coming in, UW won't be hurting for money.

Third, there is probably no greater pressure to succeed than at Alabama. But the SEC also has Georgia and LSU. It won't be a cakewalk.

Fourth, would you rather live in Tuscaloosa or Seattle?

Fifth, DeBoer's daughter plays softball at UW. As someone whose son played college sports, it's very hard to pass up the chance to watch them play.

Latest posts