Offense

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
Going back over the years it was fairly obvious what kind of offense the Seahawks were going to run. Chuck Knox was named “ground chuck” and he obviously wanted to run the ball. Mike Holmgren was all about the West Coast Offense. Pete Carroll always wanted to emphasize the running game, albeit with mixed results.

With Mike Macdonald as HC being a defensive coach, it’s not as clear cut what kind of offense the team will run. How close do we need to look at the UW offense with Ryan Grubb as the OC?

I watched two Husky games this season so I really don’t have a clear and complete grasp of their offensive tendencies. Will the Seahawks basically run out on the field the UW/Grubb offense or will it be a mixture with something else?

With just days to FA yeah and virtually no TE currently on the roster, is that a position of concern for the type of offense they want to run?

I’m asking these questions because I’m way more in the dark about the type of offense they intend to play vs the type of defense.

Chawker

Reaction score
I'm not sure, but they just need to take the "stumbling" out of our "giddy up". Just move those sticks !

Last edited:

DirectMessage

Reaction score
Didn't watch Grubb when he was at UW. Just watching a couple of minutes here and there of the highlights, it sure seems he likes down the field sideline throws. I really hope to see a lot of those short and middle slants from slot and TE receivers. Really love seeing that type of passing attack.

Jville

Reaction score
Going back over the years it was fairly obvious what kind of offense the Seahawks were going to run. Chuck Knox was named “ground chuck” and he obviously wanted to run the ball. Mike Holmgren was all about the West Coast Offense. Pete Carroll always wanted to emphasize the running game, albeit with mixed results.

With Mike Macdonald as HC being a defensive coach, it’s not as clear cut what kind of offense the team will run. How close do we need to look at the UW offense with Ryan Grubb as the OC?

I watched two Husky games this season so I really don’t have a clear and complete grasp of their offensive tendencies. Will the Seahawks basically run out on the field the UW/Grubb offense or will it be a mixture with something else?

With just days to FA yeah and virtually no TE currently on the roster, is that a position of concern for the type of offense they want to run?

I’m asking these questions because I’m way more in the dark about the type of offense they intend to play vs the type of defense.

It's still early in the off season.

At this point in time, I'm looking for tells.

Who they end up with at Tight End will likely be a key tell. That should provide an indication of frequency of personnel groups the offense will tend to deploy. Will they occasionally reintroduce the 6th lineman from time to time?

Another tell area will appear via personnel changes to the Interior Line. Anthony Bradford was a bit heavy footed as draft nicks pointed out. Will Bradford work on improving agility skills in the off season? What will the coaching staff aim for regarding the trade off between power and agility? I would think that should tip off how they're built with regards to say ....... outside zone blocking verses power gap blocking. What mix of player skills will they add?

There are certainly other tells to look for. The above are only a couple of the most obvious. The offensive coaching staff and their scouting support certainly have many options to consider. The Seahawks theme this year seems to be focused on player versatility. The NFL trend has been to spread the defense by throwing the ball to lighten the run box and to open up the run game.

I'll close by noting that the forum, once again, seems oblivious to looking for off season team tells. That's a shame given all the coaching changes associated with the 2024 turning.

kidhawk

Reaction score

Although we were a good running team under a lot of the PC era, I would disagree with that assessment under the Waldron time here. I think our run game was under utilized.

With that said, I am with you in not knowing what the new OC will run and I like it like that. I really hope he’s good at mixing it up more so than we have in the past. We have a lot of talent in the WR and RB positions. We can truly do a lot with the correct scheme.

Ozzy

Reaction score
Our offense in general was decent but it the critical areas it was terrible. I'm not sure how much blame deserves to go where. Does Geno get tentative in the red zone? I saw this happen a few times and even he admitted he missed a few touchdowns because he didn't pull the trigger. Does Waldron get tentative in the red zone? I think we can see some evidence of that too. Does the offensive line struggle more when the field gets shortened? Maybe? Probably a little bit of everything but regardless I hope it gets better and we also get much better on third downs because the same arguments/questions apply there as well.

Glasgow Seahawk

Reaction score
Hard to tell. UW's RB's were banged up all last season and Grubb played to the teams strengths due to that which was the passing game and elite WR's. May have been more balanced/run heavy otherwise.

WarHawks

Reaction score
Grubb had an air raid offensive because he had a big time gunslinger in Penix. With Geno? Probably kick a lot of field goals, try to keep it close and hope you can hold the other team to a couple scores.

DirectMessage

Reaction score
Not a whole lot of breakdowns on Ryan Grubb's version of the air raid on YouTube.

Last edited:

projectorfreak

Reaction score
Read the students of the game sticky
Grubb is very versatile and smart , we will be a force as he has misdirection and adjusts during games and he took advantage of what penix did well with deep passes but he used the entire field to move defenses and make it easier to move the offense
I have lots of faith in our coaches , hopin I'm right lol
Go Hawks

DirectMessage

Reaction score
Read the students of the game sticky
Grubb is very versatile and smart , we will be a force as he has misdirection and adjusts during games and he took advantage of what penix did well with deep passes but he used the entire field to move defenses and make it easier to move the offense
I have lots of faith in our coaches , hopin I'm right lol
Go Hawks
I'm sure Grubb will get it done. Was interesting to see what tree the Grubb offense came from, and the how it's been used in the NFL with Arizona.

N3putts@

Reaction score
Grubb had an air raid offensive because he had a big time gunslinger in Penix. With Geno? Probably kick a lot of field goals, try to keep it close and hope you can hold the other team to a couple scores.

View attachment 65427
The NFL is a Totally different animal. Go back and look at Geno’s senior year. His numbers were better than Penix’s

Jville

Reaction score
Changes to the tight end room are an interesting tell.

Two very versatile tight ends that most fans are looking past are Tyler Mabry and Brady Russell. Physical toughness and versatility are advertised themes this year. The gritty Tyler Mabry just won't give up and anyone bone at the base of Camp Pendlelton has got to be tough.

sutz

Reaction score
Changes to the tight end room are an interesting tell.

Two very versatile tight ends that most fans are looking past are Tyler Mabry and Brady Russell. Physical toughness and versatility are advertised themes this year. The gritty Tyler Mabry just won't give up and anyone bone at the base of Camp Pendlelton has got to be tough.
There are numerous places on our roster where there are young guys chomping at the bit to get playing time, including backups and guys coming back from injury hoping for another chance to prove their worth. Fans around here may be counting them out, but Schneider knows what he has waiting in the wings and will be counting on some of these "hidden" guys.

SonicHawk

Reaction score
I think what you're going to see is a lot more layers over the middle of the field. Grubb really liked to spread out the defense, especially against zone coverages. You have your crosses and probably a post.

I think Waldron's offense was really focused on a key route and the the rest of the routes were usually some sort misdirection. Rarely it seemed like Geno had any sort of under dump off and a lot of forcing that "key" route usually to the sideline.

Hard to imagine it will be a run-first approach, although the NFL requires some ability to run.

Jville

Reaction score
Throw the ball to lighten the box to set up the run is the description I've read and heard.

Mike Holmgren's offense comes to mind. Of course Mike got great play out of his full back.

Now days, that position description has transitioned into the H-back or movement Tight End.

Interesting possible tell about an off ball / movement tight end ...................

Jaheim Bell of Florida State, who measured 6-foot-2, 241 pounds at the combine, reportedly visited with the Seahawks in Indianapolis. https://www.spokesman.com/stories/2024/mar/07/analysis-what-do-seahawks-do-now-at-tight-end-afte/