Non face mask call on Richardson and the announcers

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
olyfan63":2w07jtg9 said:
cymatica":2w07jtg9 said:
The conspiracy theorist in me wants to say that national media guys are being told to do this. Look how Collinsworth out of the gate was pushing the narrative. He never noticed the facemask on the td...until 10 minutes later he brings it back up then won't shut up about it. All while flat out ignoring P-Rich getting facemasked on the other catch. When the Seahawks bring up penalty despairity or missed calls, this is how the nfl responds.

I disagree with your premise that thinking this somehow makes you a "conspiracy theorist".
The NFL is the ultimate "Reality TV show". And we've seen from "reality" TV shows how producers influence storylines to artificially create more "emotionally engaging" shows. No doubt Collinsworth and Co. were told that this was an opportunity to work an emotionally charged storyline and they better get their asses busy on it. It's all about emotional engagement, and the announcers' job is to keep fans on all sides emotionally engaged, and thus *watching*, regardless of what is happening on the field.
BINGO!

pmedic920

Reaction score
484b62118223662b3fbcc96b10de7852.jpg

BostonBlackie

Reaction score
Don't even give this junk a second thought, you won the game because you were better then them.

Chris Long, " The Patriots are really good at two things: winning football games and not giving a [expletive] what you think about them. This modus operandi has earned the Patriots an equal number of fans and haters. "

Be like us.

OP
OP
seabowl

seabowl

Reaction score
BostonBlackie":ewoifcqy said:
Don't even give this junk a second thought, you won the game because you were better then them.

Chris Long, " The Patriots are really good at two things: winning football games and not giving a [expletive] what you think about them. This modus operandi has earned the Patriots an equal number of fans and haters. "

Be like us.

Cheaters :D

ceehawk80

Reaction score
NOLAHawk":3oyydkdi said:
In a later play, prich goes to the ground with hands on his mask. It was the one where he didnt come up with it. It looked like a head torque.

No penalty.

Im sure there is a thread already, but where the hell has MR HYDE been for three years?

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Tapatalk

NOLAHAWK I was thinking the same thing when I saw that. It couldn't have been more obvious.

gowazzu02

Reaction score
As has been said guys. Either A: totally ignore it. or B: Embrace it.

The reason why Collinsworth or Peter King or whomever with an avenue talks about it as much is because we're doing things we shouldn't. Seattle is not an NFL blue Blood, if Pittsburgh, Dallas, NY or GB had our level of consistent success you wouldn't see this type of narrative, but because it's little old South Alaska you do.

Also the NFL is built for parity, this is our 5th straight trip to the Divisional round. How dare we CONSISTENTLY dominate.

Also, we built our brand on being the bully's, being tougher, bigger, more physical in a league that not only wants but creates HUGE advantages for their offense.

Also don't sleep on the fact that our guys have consistantly pushed/questioned/defy'ed the NFL. Sherman calling them out all the time, Beast Mode doing everything he could to rebel. Dougie B calling out hypocrisy's (remember the cut out w sherm) etc.

We are the wild card. and the stories will continue to be told as such.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
Few things:

1. It's the playoffs. Generally speaking it is downright expected that ticky tack fouls will not draw a flag. It's been that way forever. And it's been circumstantially argued effectively that this is the case.

2. Each crew is different. I really don't care about the letter of the law. All I want is for refs to be consistent. In the first Hawks/Falcons game, I felt they did a good job of that. They let the players play and allowed some physical play. That final DPI that wasn't called was similar to other DPI non calls that we didn't get benefit of earlier. And that Sherman DPI didn't get the flag any more than the hands to the face by Jones at the beginning of the route.

To me, that game was called close to perfect. Not because the refs got every call right. But that the game flow and the expectation of how the game was going to be called was consistent throughout and players were able to adjust their games to meet the penalty standard.

That game wasn't called perfect. And yet it was a compelling, thrilling game to watch and felt like playoff caliber. A great example in my opinion of putting a good product on the field. By not allowing the letter of the rules detract from the player driven drama.

That said, I felt like Detroit didn't get the same benefit of playoff standard officiating that we did. There were a few 'automatic 1st down' calls that really we shouldn't have received.

Chapow

Reaction score
pmedic920":1r2iphy5 said:

This.

The Lions scored 6 points. Take away that TD and we still scored more than 3 times as many points as they did.

This non-call made no difference in the outcome of the game.

BostonBlackie is correct, we won the game because we were the better team.

IMHO, this fan base needs to be less sensitive about this kind of crap. It doesn't matter.

HawkRiderFan

Reaction score
Ok, sorry to not let this go, but this was too good not to share. Anyone else listen to the Around the NFL podcast? I listened to their wildcard weekend review today. When they talked about our game, RIchardson's TD and the missed facemask call, collectively they made a "pfft" kind of noise. Then Chris Wesseling said "If you make a catch like that, you can put your hand wherever you want" :D Loved it

captSE

Reaction score
Yep, that's what I see too.
I really think most people (hawk fans) were yelling at the tv because of defensive pass interference. I know I was and i was puzzled as to why everyone around the endzone was happily jumping around. Oh, he caught it?
Then Chris Colinsworth was told about the face mask thing and we had to listen to him for the rest of the game.

gowazzu02

Reaction score
captSE":6q7rjsua said:
Yep, that's what I see too.
I really think most people (hawk fans) were yelling at the tv because of defensive pass interference. I know I was and i was puzzled as to why everyone around the endzone was happily jumping around. Oh, he caught it?
Then Chris Colinsworth was told about the face mask thing and we had to listen to him for the rest of the game.

He was told about it like half a quarter later...

No surprise though. I've read about the sherman non pi call about 10 times already. The media gets it's hooks into any perceived advantage the seahawks get and hold on for dear life.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
After coming home from the game and watching the replay, holy hell they were just brutal.
It should have just been the "how many excuses can we make for Detroit getting beat?"

twisted_steel2

Reaction score
Let 'em cry...
Let the media carry on with their "Seahawks are the villains" story line....

Who cares.

All I know is the Lions only managed 51 and 53 yard field goals. They got smoked.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Richardson got away with a blatant face mask, why are we trying to rationalize this any other way?

:lol:

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
Hawk_Nation":2vvzsg6w said:

Hasselbeck":2vvzsg6w said:
Richardson got away with a blatant face mask, why are we trying to rationalize this any other way?

^^^^^^^
I know your comment was made in jest but the whole thing is irritating because no one on TV said jack about this one.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
seahawkfreak":30kfxyde said:
Hawk_Nation":30kfxyde said:

Hasselbeck":30kfxyde said:

^^^^^^^
I know your comment was made in jest but the whole thing is irritating because no one on TV said jack about this one.

I get that. And it was a blown call. Just like the touchdown was.

Would it have changed anything if the penalties offset and we kicked a FG? Of course not. But I don't understand why any Seahawks fan can't be like "yep, got away with one there"

KiwiHawk

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":u39lynpc said:
seahawkfreak":u39lynpc said:
Hawk_Nation":u39lynpc said:

Hasselbeck":u39lynpc said:

^^^^^^^

I get that. And it was a blown call. Just like the touchdown was.

Would it have changed anything if the penalties offset and we kicked a FG? Of course not. But I don't understand why any Seahawks fan can't be like "yep, got away with one there"
Sure, provided you also acknowledge the earlier missed facemask against the Lions and recognise the refs were consistent in not calling the penalty, ergo, the one in the end zone was correctly not called. So in reality we didn't get away with anything; it just got evened out.

Call it a make-up call, call it letting the players play, call it whatever you like, but as long as it's called both ways, then it's a non-issue.

However, it does get annoying that the one on Richardson's TD was the only one that gets mention, because it takes that act out of context, and context is everything.

Latest posts