NFC West Training Camp

Marvin49

Reaction score
ringless":2s93wihc said:
Well since we didn't get any 49er updates today I figured I would step in and give us this golden nugget from SF.

"Turf Troubles Another big story that is gaining a lot of traction was the poor condition of the field as practice went on. Numerous beat writers pointed out the issue, which the 49ers had to deal with last season. The team is scheduled to have their first eight practices at Levi's Stadium. Head coach Jim Tomsula said after tonight's practice that he expects to practice at Levi's Stadium again tomorrow, but may move if the sod on the field is not safe. - See more at: http://www.49erswebzone.com/news/83655- ... 8NHiP.dpuf

In addition, Dockett who was cleared to practice late last week was held out of practice.. I just don't see how he is going to end up being an effective replacement for Cowboy. I also wonder if he was held out because the Sod fell apart before all the players even got on the field for practice?

The grass thing is getting tiresome. They will resod 7 or 8 times this year, but this is really getting old.

As for Dockett, they also held out Reggie Bush. They are being careful with vets. As for him replacing Justin? I don't think THATS really the plan. He'll be in the rotation, but Dorsey will likely play more snaps at RDE than Dockett.

Marvin49

Reaction score
More Niner camp notes:

These are tweets from John Middlekauff whom has been EXTEREMELY negative toward the team this offseason...

John Middlekauff ‏@JohnMiddlekauff · 10h10 hours ago
Kap looked like Kap tonight. Threw some dimes, had some over throws. Did have a little bootleg drop off to 85 (w/touch) but he dropped it

John Middlekauff ‏@JohnMiddlekauff · 11h11 hours ago
Carlos Hyde has looked fantastic tonight. Explosive, making guys miss. Best offensive player beside Gabbert (I'm serious he was good)

99 looks pretty damn good

John Middlekauff ‏@JohnMiddlekauff · 12h12 hours ago
Bowman just did a little Spin move on a blitz, smoked the OG & sacked Kap. I'd say that's a pretty positive sign

Torrey Smith is running at a different speed than the Defense

Colin with a bunch of over throws until he hits Torrey Smith on deep go route for a TD

Not trying to be negative but there are divots everywhere. Coaches, hell even the GM stomping then down

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Marvin49":1r0prckf said:
ringless":1r0prckf said:
Well since we didn't get any 49er updates today I figured I would step in and give us this golden nugget from SF.

"Turf Troubles Another big story that is gaining a lot of traction was the poor condition of the field as practice went on. Numerous beat writers pointed out the issue, which the 49ers had to deal with last season. The team is scheduled to have their first eight practices at Levi's Stadium. Head coach Jim Tomsula said after tonight's practice that he expects to practice at Levi's Stadium again tomorrow, but may move if the sod on the field is not safe. - See more at: http://www.49erswebzone.com/news/83655- ... 8NHiP.dpuf

In addition, Dockett who was cleared to practice late last week was held out of practice.. I just don't see how he is going to end up being an effective replacement for Cowboy. I also wonder if he was held out because the Sod fell apart before all the players even got on the field for practice?

The grass thing is getting tiresome. They will resod 7 or 8 times this year, but this is really getting old.

As for Dockett, they also held out Reggie Bush. They are being careful with vets. As for him replacing Justin? I don't think THATS really the plan. He'll be in the rotation, but Dorsey will likely play more snaps at RDE than Dockett.
I thought they had this grass problem solved??? Not good when they will be hosting a Super Bowl.

Marvin49

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":2od075wt said:
Marvin49":2od075wt said:
ringless":2od075wt said:

I thought they had this grass problem solved??? Not good when they will be hosting a Super Bowl.

For the most part they do.

Prob is a couple things...

1) They keep having huge scale events there...Taylor Swift Concert, One Direction Concert, they just had an event for Cisco Systems with Christina Aguilera, etc. They just had a big soccer match there. The turf never gets to just sit there for awhile and root.

2) Even yesterday, they are talking about the turf getting ripped up, but what most people aren't telling you is that they had a full all-star HS fooball game on the field just before that PM practice. The middle of the field held up well but the edges started to get ripped up later as the WRs and DB dug into the field in individual drills.

3) They have 7 or 8 fully mature fields purchased and waiting to resod throughout the season. Some of last years issues were that the first field got jacked way earlier than expected so each subsequent field wasn't mature and had further problems.

Lord knows, I'm tired of talking about this. They need to get it right. It needs to STOP being a point of conversation. I don't mean people shouldn't point it out...I mean there shouldn't be something to point out anymore.

rideaducati

Reaction score
Marvin49":1pkvejm8 said:
More Niner camp notes:

These are tweets from John Middlekauff whom has been EXTEREMELY negative toward the team this offseason...

Kap looked like Kap tonight. Threw some dimes, had some over throws. Did have a little bootleg drop off to 85 (w/touch) but he dropped it

Carlos Hyde has looked fantastic tonight. Explosive, making guys miss. Best offensive player beside Gabbert (I'm serious he was good)

Bowman just did a little Spin move on a blitz, smoked the OG & sacked Kap. I'd say that's a pretty positive sign

Colin with a bunch of over throws until he hits Torrey Smith on deep go route for a TD

Not trying to be negative but there are divots everywhere. Coaches, hell even the GM stomping then down

Kaepernick with a bunch of over throws and Gabbert looking great... I think that if they actually gave Gabbert a fair shot to win the job, he'd beat Kaepernick out.

Maulbert

Reaction score
Marvin49":c1z9sawj said:
Sports Hernia":c1z9sawj said:
Marvin49":c1z9sawj said:
ringless":c1z9sawj said:

1) They keep having huge scale events there...Taylor Swift Concert, One Direction Concert, they just had an event for Cisco Systems with Christina Aguilera, etc. They just had a big soccer match there. The turf never gets to just sit there for awhile and root.

2) Even yesterday, they are talking about the turf getting ripped up, but what most people aren't telling you is that they had a full all-star HS fooball game on the field just before that PM practice. The middle of the field held up well but the edges started to get ripped up later as the WRs and DB dug into the field in individual drills.

3) They have 7 or 8 fully mature fields purchased and waiting to resod throughout the season. Some of last years issues were that the first field got jacked way earlier than expected so each subsequent field wasn't mature and had further problems.

Lord knows, I'm tired of talking about this. They need to get it right. It needs to STOP being a point of conversation. I don't mean people shouldn't point it out...I mean there shouldn't be something to point out anymore.

That sucks. But you should actually appreciate that they're admitting it's a story instead of sweeping it under the rug. Aknowledging means they're trying to fix it, and the media will be less likely to harp on it because the niners aren't hiding anything from them.

RichNhansom

Reaction score
Marvin49":1pqj09lg said:
Sports Hernia":1pqj09lg said:
Marvin49":1pqj09lg said:
ringless":1pqj09lg said:

So who's getting the profits from all these events? Yorks? Sounds like they need to back off for a bit if that is the real problem. They are sacrificing the safety of every athlete that touches the field if it is not up to par. Sounds like greed is playing a bigger role in the grass problem to me.

If it's not the Yorks they should be screaming at the city to let the grass grow in for safety reasons.

rideaducati

Reaction score
Santa Clara just keeps throwing taxpayer money away by re sodding Levi's field 8 times per year. How many millions are they going to throw away before they come to a conclusion that would make some sense?

Rex

Reaction score
AZ can grow grass in the desert and wheel it in and out of their stadium so why 49ers have so much trouble with it is puzzling. Maybe the sod or substrate or both is the problem?

Rex

Reaction score
Rams training camp report from zohan

This was my first training camp. I loved it. Everyone I talked to said the same thing, Gurly is taller than I thought.

My man crush is on Rodriguez. Dude catches everything and goes 100%. He is leaving it all on the table.

Man Chris Givens is fast. Everyone still scratching their head on why he disappears in games.

I talked to as many of the guys working as I could to get their feel of the mindset of the team so far. The consensus is focused and ready to change peoples perception. One of the guys said all the talk and focus is game 1 Seattle. He said the players are chomping at the bits for the Seahawks. He said alot of talk around the team about not starting slow and setting the tone for the season against Seattle. I loved hearing how bad they are wanting to play Seattle in just day 2 of camp.

Alot of fans talking about Mannion and how big he is. He passes the eye test physically.

Watching Hecker punt, wow. You can hear him booming the ball and damn he is big. When he was standing by Ogletree it just gives you the realazation of his size.

Quick made some beautiful catches. It is amazing how far he has come from his surgery. He isnt close to midseason form yet, but damn he is coming off a major injury and looks damn good. He was close to the sideline doing warm ups and I yelled at him that I could feel it, this is his season. He turned to me smiled gave a thumbs up and said damn straight it is. Gotta love the man.

I get that everyone is on Tavon because of his draft status but man Bailey to me just out shines him. Why Bailey doesn’t get more looks is beyond me. He runs good routes and just knows how to catch the ball.

Watching Tavon return punts I was shaking my head. It’s like he cant grasp North and South he is always high stepping and what I like to call jitter bugging. With his speed I wish he would get in behind his blockers and just go, instead of jitter bugging east and west. I was more impressed with Rodriguez returning punts. My love for Tavon is fading.

I never got to see Bradford in camp. A couple guys I talked to were telling me its night and day between Bradford and Foles on the practice field. They were telling me how Bradford just wowed you on the practice field with his arm vs Foles but there is a very definite positive feel or energy with Foles and the team vs Bradford. Several comments on how Foles just seems to be more of a leader and taking charge on the field.

I spent alot of time watching the O-line. Im just not as worried as I was before about having so many rookies starting. In my opinion its going to be a very good thing. They really seem to be bonding and really pushing each other. Sure there is going to be mistakes but just seeing these guys fresh and not coming in with injuries and different philosophies from other NFL line coaches is going to be a positive. Boo is forming these guys the way he wants them so there isnt the baggage of learning his way. This O-line is going to be badass in a couple seasons of growing together. Guys we have some size on this line now and they want to be great. I came away feeling very positive with the direction Fish is going with the O-line.

I’m still not sure about our secondary. Jenks is fun to watch but the whole time your waiting for him to get burned. Several guys even made jokes about it. He is definitely high risk, high reward. Mcleod seems to be coming along and im still not sure about Joyner. Dude is small. I saw our WR’s make some beautiful catches on the secondary.

The D-line is a thing of beauty. We really got the steal of the draft with Donald. Love watching him work. The man is all motor. One of the guys I was talking to made the comment that his neighbor is a huge Lions fan and that he was told by his neighbor that Suh said that talent wise Fairley is better, that he just has to get his head straight.

Sorry I dont have the analytics of the other guys posting. Like I said this was my first camp so I was pretty overwhelmed. The team seems leaner and faster to me than last year. The vibe is definitely that this team is going to be special this year and we are going to be in the thick of it in the NFC West. Once this O-line comes together look out because our Rams are ready to put the SOSAR crap in the grave and make a statement to the NFL.

I think im going to stick around for tonight’s practice. I drove two and a half hours down to watch the team and ended up getting a hotel room ( gotta support the bonds with the hotel tax ;-) )

OP
OP
R

ringless

Reaction score
@Cardschatter 2h2 hours ago
Arians said LB Sean Weatherspoon has aggravated hamstring. Off today. Nothing serious. #CardsCamp

@Cardschatter 2h2 hours ago
LB Shaq Riddick aggravated same hamstring injury that kept him out in offseason. #CardsCamp

Linebacker Daryl Sharpton has a “very minor” hip flexor.

And so we start off where we left off

Marvin49

Reaction score
rideaducati":3uwx5mjf said:
Marvin49":3uwx5mjf said:
More Niner camp notes:

Kaepernick with a bunch of over throws and Gabbert looking great... I think that if they actually gave Gabbert a fair shot to win the job, he'd beat Kaepernick out.

I think yer nuts. :D

Marvin49

Reaction score
RichNhansom":wyw5b5p2 said:
Marvin49":wyw5b5p2 said:
Sports Hernia":wyw5b5p2 said:
Marvin49":wyw5b5p2 said:

So who's getting the profits from all these events? Yorks? Sounds like they need to back off for a bit if that is the real problem. They are sacrificing the safety of every athlete that touches the field if it is not up to par. Sounds like greed is playing a bigger role in the grass problem to me.

If it's not the Yorks they should be screaming at the city to let the grass grow in for safety reasons.

Its in part the Yorks, but the $$$$ are shared revenue between the team and the city. This wasn't an issue at Candlestick because it wasn't viewed as a venue worthy of holding concerts and such. The field got to grow for months at a time undisturbed.

We'll see how this plays out, but I'm betting the field will be just fine for the SB. Hopefully it will be good for the regular season as well.

Marvin49

Reaction score
rideaducati":1t5kkv1o said:
Santa Clara just keeps throwing taxpayer money away by re sodding Levi's field 8 times per year. How many millions are they going to throw away before they come to a conclusion that would make some sense?

Nice little villainous storyline you got there, but the team is paying for the sod.

Funny how these things go...either York is too cheap to put in turf because its more expensive (its not), or its the city whos paying for it so York is wasting their money. Funny how the argument shifts to make York the villain in either case.

Marvin49

Reaction score
Rex":33s5u8te said:
AZ can grow grass in the desert and wheel it in and out of their stadium so why 49ers have so much trouble with it is puzzling. Maybe the sod or substrate or both is the problem?

They resolved the major issue last year, so issue now is just number of events. Hopefully there will be a lot less of them during the season.

chris98251

Reaction score
The problem in S.C. is the same that is in Washington, Money, they use the Field for everything, it gets torn up and becomes a hazard. It took league intervention to get them to maintain it in Washington, even so it still is considered less then NFL standard. Appears that S.C. is doing the same thing.

rideaducati

Reaction score
Marvin49":35j6v99s said:
rideaducati":35j6v99s said:

Nice little villainous storyline you got there, but the team is paying for the sod.

Funny how these things go...either York is too cheap to put in turf because its more expensive (its not), or its the city whos paying for it so York is wasting their money. Funny how the argument shifts to make York the villain in either case.

Oh well... Either way I put it, the Levi's field sucks and someone is wasting a lot of other people's money by replacing it 8 times a year. If York is paying for it, he's just going to raise the price of something else to make up the difference, so I guess it would be paid for by the ticket holders. I don't really care who is paying for it, but whoever it happens to be is throwing money away at a high rate.

I'm not saying York is too cheap, but he doesn't seem to be the brightest bulb when it comes to spending WISELY.

Marvin49

Reaction score
rideaducati":3cuitvnk said:
Marvin49":3cuitvnk said:
rideaducati":3cuitvnk said:

Oh well... Either way I put it, the Levi's field sucks and someone is wasting a lot of other people's money by replacing it 8 times a year. If York is paying for it, he's just going to raise the price of something else to make up the difference, so I guess it would be paid for by the ticket holders. I don't really care who is paying for it, but whoever it happens to be is throwing money away at a high rate.

I'm not saying York is too cheap, but he doesn't seem to be the brightest bulb when it comes to spending WISELY.

I'm truly amazed.

You actually found a THIRD way to make York the villain. :D Impressive.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
A little off topic, but IMHO if poor field conditions like Levi's, and the ones in Pissburgh and DC are not playable due to other events, then the NFL needs to have them make a choice. If you cannot have safe playable conditions then you either switch to field turf or not have the other events that tear up the field. That is if the NFL really is concerned about player safety.

OP
OP
R

ringless

Reaction score
@theAdamGreen 16m16 minutes ago
#CardsCamp update: RB David Johnson got the edge and outran defense on play but pulled up limping at the end. Walked off field w/ a trainer.

Already 3-4 injuries and its only the second day. Hopefully this one is nothing much either. Frustrating to say the least