NFC WEST RESULTS & RANKINGS AFTER WEEK 1

Marvin49

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":36ob8scc said:
Crowning the Cards after one game. Typical

I'm not crowing anyone. I'm just talkin about who looked best in week 1.

I thought Cards had best performance.

Niners were the worst after late game collapse.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Not you. Just a common thing to see people crown teams way too early. And after smoking a contender like Tennessee on the road? Yep, very impressive. I might hate them, but they just dominated that game.

rlkats

Reaction score
I think all NFCW teams looked really good yesterday. My miners looked great (minus the run D) until all starters were pulled. I’m not going to negatively comment on other teams as I really believe the games were very strong. But one big thing that all NFCW fans have to say is, we did not play solid to great teams. We beat up on mediocre teams not bad teams just ok teams. It’s a long season and who knows what will happen, but fans slurping on their teams jock right now is very premature and pointless.

Shaggy

Admin/Owner
Administrator
Reaction score
Sports Hernia":1c7ypa87 said:
Fade":1c7ypa87 said:
THE NFC WEST the best division in football. Just a paragraph or two write up will suffice. I'm not trying to do an entire scouting report or essay on this.

(1) LA RAMS (1-0)

They look like the team to beat, as they are too damn good on defense, and Stafford is a huge step up from Goff. McVay is the master at adjusting and game management, never having had a losing season, even while dragging bum Goff. I don't know if people realize it, but the Rams where the best team in the NFL last year if you ignored the QB spot.

Stafford just has to be league average, he doesn't need to be the franchise. He looked good in his LA debut. The Rams cannot afford anymore major injuries to RB or that could potentially screw them up. And injuries to their stars hurt a little bit more than other teams due to the massive dropoff they will experience and how they have a larger % of their cap tied to so few players.

(2) SEA SEAHAWKS (1-0)

Russell Wilson has a good OC now, he will be even better, which is mortifying for the whole league not just the NFC WEST. They are loaded on the D-Line being able to send wave after wave of pass rushers. Teams can't just take away 1 guy. With that said, the Seahawks do not have Jalen Ramsey, not even close. They are weak at CB and need to pursue a trade by mid-year.

Fun fact: Seattle the second half of last season were amongst the league leaders in sacks. They are now deeper with the pass rush Taylor, Green (contract year), & Hyder. To go along with Dunlap, Robinson, Mayowa. Poona & Mone albeit runstuffers are sneaky good as rushers as well. Then Jamal Adams is blitzed frequently. Pass rush will not be Seattle's weakness, coverage on the outside will.

(3) AZ CARDINALS (1-0)

I posted earlier in this off-season that Murray could make a big leap in year 3 and tilt the scales, it looks like that may be the case. They are a scary team that bullied the Titans. Their HC has never had a winning season so I'll keep them at #3, but if they keep this up I won't hesitate to shoot them up the list.

(4) SF 49ERS (1-0)

A Pyrrhic victory for the 49ers as they lost their fragile #1 CB to a torn ACL that everyone could see coming a mile away. Their #2 corner was already injured and out going into this game. You think the Seahawks are bad at corner? Get a load of the Niners, after JV they have 2 day three rookies, and bum ass Josh Norman. Raheem Mostert got hurt, and it is unknown how bad it is. This is not surprising and I tried to tell resident 49ers fans, most of the 49ers best players are injury prone. They will always be an injured team. You'd think it would sink in as this happens season after season, but it never does.

QB - Jimmy, injury prone. Sold the farm for Taysom Hill, to solidify the backup spot.
RB - Mostert, injury prone. (Already hurt).
OL - Trent Williams has never played a full season and is getting older. OL injuries happen.
DE - Nick Bosa, injury prone. (Tore both ACL's in his knees already).
DE - Dee Ford, injury prone would be putting it lightly. It's a miracle he hasn't gotten injured yet. Good for him.
DT - Kinlaw, always injured. Did not play.
CB - Varrett, he's been injured his whole career, except for last year. Tough break for him, but predictable.
SS - Tartt, injury prone. I though he was going to retire due to injury before the season started honestly.

Deebo & Kittle are borderline. They get injured again and they too will also be classified as injury prone.
You’re going to get Marvin’s back up with all of that “negativity” (see truth) about the Niners and their injuries.
They’re “great” defense gave up 33 to a weak Lions team.

True they gave up 33 but some of that was garbage time points.

HawkOG70’

Reaction score
rlkats":1if2u4wq said:
I think all NFCW teams looked really good yesterday. My miners looked great (minus the run D) until all starters were pulled. I’m not going to negatively comment on other teams as I really believe the games were very strong. But one big thing that all NFCW fans have to say is, we did not play solid to great teams. We beat up on mediocre teams not bad teams just ok teams. It’s a long season and who knows what will happen, but fans slurping on their teams jock right now is very premature and pointless.
The Colts and Titans made the playoffs last year and both teams have formidable rosters. The Lions on the other hand are in complete rebuild mode.

pmedic920

Reaction score
rlkats":2co2xbr6 said:
This sounds very reasonable to me.

I was/am stoked because the Hawks looked better than I expected but the skeptic in me is always afraid.

I personally think the argument here is ridiculous.

rlkats

Reaction score
pmedic920":scov7gj8 said:
rlkats":scov7gj8 said:
This sounds very reasonable to me.

I was/am stoked because the Hawks looked better than I expected but the skeptic in me is always afraid.

I personally think the argument here is ridiculous.

Pmedic920 I agree with you. Thanks for getting the point. Unlike others here that constantly need to solidify their life by arguing my team is better, no my team is better. My team played a better team yours played a team in rebuild. Who cares in the end all that matters is if our teams play well and win the Super Bowl. Otherwise it’s all bullshit.

rlkats

Reaction score
ArlosSpecial":1r3k5up0 said:
rlkats":1r3k5up0 said:
The Colts and Titans made the playoffs last year and both teams have formidable rosters. The Lions on the other hand are in complete rebuild mode.

Again missed the point completely. Here, niners suck your team is better. Does that make you feel better? Is that what your looking for? My point was it’s (1) game that’s it (1) game all teams played well. Damn

Marvin49

Reaction score
rlkats":23q7othb said:
ArlosSpecial":23q7othb said:
rlkats":23q7othb said:

Again missed the point completely. Here, niners suck your team is better. Does that make you feel better? Is that what your looking for? My point was it’s (1) game that’s it (1) game all teams played well. Damn

lol.

You don't understand. Your opinion is invalid unless you accept all real AND imaginary faults in your team. If there is any nuance whatsoever you are nothing more than a homer.

Welcome! :)

On your point tho, I agree. NFC West again looks like best division in football.

SeAhAwKeR4life

Reaction score
I've got to say, what I saw from the Seahawks in the first game, if they can keep that up, then the pundits are wrong again. I keep hearing how SF and LA are both better than we are. I think it's wishful thinking on the part of the press. I'm not saying both LA and SF aren't good teams, but I do think there's ling been a tendency, even a desire on the part of the national press to write bbn us off as past our window.

Only playing the games will tell but I like our chances to win this very stacked division. Not easily win it but win it with a fight. 8)

chris98251

Reaction score
All 4 teams look formidable, depth and injuries will be the decider, who is best week one won't matter if in week 17 they can't field it.

I hope everyone stays healthy, 49ers are already getting the injury bug, I want to see a game not a excuse not to win, not being good enough isn't something anyone likes to see, but at least you know you gave it your best shot and what you need to improve on.

rlkats

Reaction score
chris98251":oo1bwchq said:
All 4 teams look formidable, depth and injuries will be the decider, who is best week one won't matter if in week 17 they can't field it.

I hope everyone stays healthy, 49ers are already getting the injury bug, I want to see a game not a excuse not to win, not being good enough isn't something anyone likes to see, but at least you know you gave it your best shot and what you need to improve on.

On point 100% agree

SeAhAwKeR4life

Reaction score
I've got to say, what I saw from the Seahawks in the first game, if they can keep that up, then the pundits are wrong again. I keep hearing how SF and LA are both better than we are. I think it's wishful thinking on the part of the press. I'm not saying both LA and SF aren't good teams, but I do think there's ling been a tendency, even a desire on the part of the national press to write bbn us off as past our window.

Only playing the games will tell but I like our chances to win this very stacked division. Not easily win it but win it with a fight. 8)

HawkOG70’

Reaction score
rlkats":3bbmopjg said:
ArlosSpecial":3bbmopjg said:
rlkats":3bbmopjg said:

No I'm looking for an objective point of view guy. You can't really lump the Lions in with the Colts and Titans. I agree that it was only week 1 though you were spot on with that statement. Good luck this year my guy. See you in a few weeks. :irishdrinkers:

OP
OP
Fade

Fade

Reaction score
Marvin49":16tqqhm5 said:
OK..."precious 49ers gave up 33 pts".

LOL.

OK...few things for the record...

1) The score was 41-17 with 5.5 minutes left when the 49ers pulled their starters to avoid injuries like the one they just got to Verrett.
2) Lions drove and scored TD and 2pt conversion vs backups. 41-25.
3) Lost onside kick
4) Lions drove again against backups to score second TD and 2 pt conversion. 41-33.
5) 49ers on verge of icing game when Deebo fumbled.
6) 49ers reinserted starters and made the final stand.

Unacceptable. Even against backups, Lions shouldn't have been able to do that, but there was no Bosa, no Warner, no Greenlaw, no Ward, and no Tartt on the field on those drives. It wasn't as dire you guys let on, but I'll say this specifically.

Negative:

1) 49ers interior run D was getting gashed bad all game, not just at the end. Part of that was Kinlaw out and some of that is weakness of the Wide 9. Its a serious problem moving forward. If teams can do that all year, it will kill them.
2) Verrett getting injured is heartbreaking and sadly not unexpected. Trusting an oft-injured CB to stay healthy wasn't a good plan. There is a reason they got him cheap on a 1 year deal.

Positive:

1) Rookie Deommodore Lenoir however on the other side was a pleasant surprise. 55 Coverage snaps, gave up 3 yards. Depth at CB will be a major issue.
2) Mostert hurt again which is frustrating, but rookie 5th rounder Elijah Mitchell ran for over 100 and a TD. Shanahans just seem to manufacture RBs.

Should be noted that while Mostert and Verrett are fragile (I won't even start to argue they are not) the 49er DID draft 2 corners (Ambry Thomas and Deommodore Lenoir) and 2 RBs (Elijah Mitchell and Trey Sermon). Lenoir and Mitchell played well yesterday. We'll see how they play going forward.

49ers were at one point up 38-10 and IMO had the worst performance in the NFC West yesterday.

Just to clarify the 49ers ranking 4th had nothing to do with them taking the foot off the petal up big (Shanny'ing), and everything to do with them being an injury prone team who lost a top 10 CB for the season with also having the worst QB in the division, who also too happens to be injury prone. When you're playing with an avg. QB or worse you have to be lights out everywhere else on the field, or be lucky to be in a weak division. The Niners have neither luxury.

How are the Niners going to replace Jason Verrett with 2 late round rookies and washed up vets? Those bit parts are not going to replace a #1 corner. :D :D

More injuries are sure to follow based on the history of these players always getting hurt. Watch Kyle's presser after the Lions game, it sounded like a funeral… AFTER A WIN. I'm sorry to break it to you Marv, but it is quickly trending toward Kyle & the 49ers having their 4th losing season in 5 years, and until they change things at the top and rebuild the team properly this is going to keep happening. 2019 was the outlier. Have you not noticed that the 49ers are always way more injured than the other teams year after year?

OP
OP
Fade

Fade

Reaction score
SeAhAwKeR4life":faz5e4wo said:

Mainstream mediots do not study the teams very intently. They know "Names" (established players) and "Narratives." (What everyone else is saying so it must be true.)

The love the Rams receive is valid due to having the #1 defense in the NFL, upgrading at QB, and McVay never having had a losing season.

The 49ers love is where it makes no sense and is very lazy analysis. They are going with the "They made the Super bowl in 2019, 2020 they just got injured. They will return to form in 2021." - narrative.

The mediots have it backwards. 2019 was the outlier year where they miraculously stayed healthy and played one of the easiest schedules. The other Shanny years they were the most injured team in the league. They are already off to a roaring start in the injury category in 2021.

The Cardinals blew out the Titans who have a lot of big names, but are actually quite trash on defense. I was still impressed by the performance regardless, but make no mistake the mediots thought they just whooped a team that was one of the best in the AFC.

When it comes to the Seahawks, you are correct, they just don't understand how good the team is. They think it is just Russell Wilson, Bobby Wagner, and DK Metcalf. The savvy mediots will mention Lockett and think they are real smart when they do, which is always good for a laugh when I happen to catch it. They have no idea Seattle had the most pro-bowlers in the NFL last year. Traded out a middling OC for a guy who knows what he's doing, which was the biggest coaching upgrade of the off-season for any of the contenders. If the Seahawks had Waldron last year they would've won the Superbowl due to the Chiefs being injured at OT, but still. Waldron last year gets the Seahawks the #1 Seed.

Ramfan128

Reaction score
SeAhAwKeR4life":e96nekpi said:

Put yourself in my shoes for a minute, and there are actually plenty of people who have picked Seattle to finish better than the Rams.

The Rams split with Seattle in the regular season, had a pretty bad performing QB, and despite that went into Seattle and dominated them in a playoff game.

Then the Rams moved from the 24th best QB to the 8th best - roughly speaking - which is a MASSIVE upgrade.

Imagine being me and reading someone picking Seattle over us....doesn't make a ton of sense in a vacuum. Most of it is disbelief in Stafford which does make sense, so that's fine. (I know the Rams and Seahawks both made other moves, but the QB upgrade was so massive I just focused on that).

Overall point being: when you get smacked by a divisional opponent in a playoff game, you should probably expect people to doubt your team winning the division next year.

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
Ramfan128":dw0308gh said:
SeAhAwKeR4life":dw0308gh said:

Put yourself in my shoes for a minute, and there are actually plenty of people who have picked Seattle to finish better than the Rams.

The Rams split with Seattle in the regular season, had a pretty bad performing QB, and despite that went into Seattle and dominated them in a playoff game.

Then the Rams moved from the 24th best QB to the 8th best - roughly speaking - which is a MASSIVE upgrade.

Imagine being me and reading someone picking Seattle over us....doesn't make a ton of sense in a vacuum. Most of it is disbelief in Stafford which does make sense, so that's fine. (I know the Rams and Seahawks both made other moves, but the QB upgrade was so massive I just focused on that).

Overall point being: when you get smacked by a divisional opponent in a playoff game, you should probably expect people to doubt your team winning the division next year.

Unless the main reason for that playoff loss--the offensive play-calling (pun intended)--has been rectified by a play-caller in Waldron whom you should already be be familiar with. That should provide a reality-check to those ignorant of Seattle's history of bland and predictable play-calling that has likely kept them from being the top seed in the NFC.

RW and company playing with the Ram's offensive scheme? Honestly, why wouldn't you think that can beat even the "best" of defenses? We already beat the Rams once last year with the bland play-calling.

Elemas

Reaction score
Even with that said, I’ll take us over the Rams. If we bump heads in the playoffs, I won’t be worried about our roster vs theirs (injuries aside).

What I will worry about is McVay vs. Carroll. This is the matchup we’ve lost in recent years. If Pete let’s Waldron do what he does…. it’ll all be ok.

Ruminator

Reaction score
Ad Hawk":3j0yi11p said:
Unless the main reason for that playoff loss--the offensive play-calling (pun intended)--has been rect** by a play-caller in Waldron whom you should already be be familiar with. That should provide a reality-check to those ignorant of Seattle's history of bland and predictable play-calling that has likely kept them from being the top seed in the NFC.

And I think this is a primary reason why ESPN and other entities had low expectations for Seattle going into this season -- they were still stuck on last year's OC and easy-to-gameplan-against offense. Wouldn't surprise me if Seattle wins the we-proved-you-wrong award by the end of the season.