New price tag for Earl

Seymour

Reaction score
Tinymac2":44xczpw8 said:
Seymour":44xczpw8 said:
toffee":44xczpw8 said:
MontanaHawk05":44xczpw8 said:
Wasn't Earl a first rounder?

You got me Sir. I meant to say we haven't drafted well lately.

No....he really doesn't. Earl is one of possibly 2 they actually did well enough for "first round grade" on. They have missed on far more than they've hit.

I believe it was the last time we didn't trade down in the 1st. Isn't that amazing?

No. Carpenter, Irvin, Ifedi and Penny are all first rounders that Pete has selected since Earl and Brokung in 2010. I'd be tempted to throw McDowell in there too since he was a high 2nd (35th) but I didn't.

chris98251

Reaction score
Seymour":ixm39bvg said:
Tinymac2":ixm39bvg said:
Seymour":ixm39bvg said:
toffee":ixm39bvg said:
You got me Sir. I meant to say we haven't drafted well lately.

No....he really doesn't. Earl is one of possibly 2 they actually did well enough for "first round grade" on. They have missed on far more than they've hit.

I believe it was the last time we didn't trade down in the 1st. Isn't that amazing?

No. Carpenter, Irvin, Ifedi and Penny are all first rounders that Pete has selected since Earl and Brokung in 2010. I'd be tempted to throw McDowell in there too since he was a high 2nd but I didn't.

Carpenter was not a bust, he did well away from Cable in NY, Irvin not a bust either may not have provided 1st round numbers but once they found his roll did well and is doing well for Oakland, Ifedi we are still on the fence with, has shown for squat mostly but has in recent games shown improvement as well, Penny 3 games in and coming off a hand injury and little of no camp, I will let it ride for a while, he also needs touches since he isn't a third down guy as much as a every down back.

Cyrus12

Reaction score
I would say a 2nd to 5th rd and maybe a combo of those picks. Atlanta needs a safety with allen going down but I doubt they offer much. Gettingearl is one thing but keeping him happy with the money he wants is the main issue as another team could see him as aging injury risk rental for one year. I also think his selfish attitude is hurting any trade chances. Let's not forget Reid is out there and no one wants him which would only be a cheap 1 year probe it deal. The only one here that think Earl is worth what he thinks is Earl and the Earl lovers around here.

OP
OP
toffee

toffee

Reaction score
My first choice would be the Chiefs. They are in AFC and Andy handled TO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
toffee

toffee

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":265yb0u1 said:
Shoot, it only takes one team to "overpay"

Chiefs, Falcons, and the girls of course.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
toffee":1un33gf2 said:

I want whatever team would have the highest draft pick, which would probably be the Cowboys. Chiefs might go all the way, or at least go deep into the playoffs.

chris98251

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3kzotc3h said:
toffee":3kzotc3h said:

I want whatever team would have the highest draft pick, which would probably be the Cowboys. Chiefs might go all the way, or at least go deep into the playoffs.

They have to overcome the Curse of Mcnabb first.

Ambrose83

Reaction score
I just don't understand the value on draft picks ? How is the best safety in the league worth just a first round pick ? One is proven and one is a guest at best....... Do any of you think,the team gets better losing earl and drafting someone next year ?

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Ambrose83":2zcf8mml said:
I just don't understand the value on draft picks ? How is the best safety in the league worth just a first round pick ? One is proven and one is a guest at best....... Do any of you think,the team gets better losing earl and drafting someone next year ?

Because he plays in an undervalued position.

- QB
- LT
- DE

Those are the top three most valued positions, thus why the Raiders get two first rounders for Mack, and we might not even get a 1st rounder for Earl.

It's like any business, supply and demand. The demand and need for great QB's, LT's and DE's is far greater than the demand for safeties, which most teams can get by with just good, and don't need great to win.

Can you name the starting free safety for the Eagles without Googling him? Didn't think so.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":kj5osnps said:
Ambrose83":kj5osnps said:

- QB
- LT
- DE

Those are the top three most valued positions, thus why the Raiders get two first rounders for Mack, and we might not even get a 1st rounder for Earl.

It's like any business, supply and demand. The demand and need for great QB's, LT's and DE's is far greater than the demand for safeties, which most teams can get by with just good, and don't need great to win.

Can you name the starting free safety for the Eagles without Googling him? Didn't think so.

Without googling...It's Malcolm Jenkins (Wears #27 on his jersey).

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
hawkfan68":2v9350di said:
Sgt. Largent":2v9350di said:
Ambrose83":2v9350di said:

- QB
- LT
- DE

it's actually Rodney McCloud. Jenkins is the strong safety.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":167whiox said:
hawkfan68":167whiox said:
Sgt. Largent":167whiox said:
Ambrose83":167whiox said:

- QB
- LT
- DE

Ahhh...ok.

I bet most NFL fans, if asked, would know who Earl Thomas is. McCloud isn't even a top 10 safety. Not sure what the point you're trying to make here is. It's like asking who the backup for the Chicago Bears is?

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
hawkfan68":124wbb4n said:
Sgt. Largent":124wbb4n said:
hawkfan68":124wbb4n said:
Sgt. Largent":124wbb4n said:

- QB
- LT
- DE

I bet most NFL fans, if asked, would know who Earl Thomas is. McCloud isn't even a top 10 safety.

Right, thus the low value put on safeties in an offense driven league. You don't need to give up a bunch of first round picks to get Earl Thomas to win a SB............AND have to pay him 40M guaranteed.

Also why he's still playing here.

You asked the question, I answered. Earl's a great player, but between the low value of safeties and his extension demands, you ain't getting multiple first rounders for him. Not to mention his age and injury history.

hawksincebirth

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3dm9fbe6 said:
Ambrose83":3dm9fbe6 said:

- QB
- LT
- DE

So the guy that had two picks yesterday was undervalued , hof safeties are in the draft every year

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":l9dzmblh said:
hawkfan68":l9dzmblh said:
Sgt. Largent":l9dzmblh said:
hawkfan68":l9dzmblh said:

I bet most NFL fans, if asked, would know who Earl Thomas is. McCloud isn't even a top 10 safety.

Right, thus the low value put on safeties in an offense driven league. You don't need to give up a bunch of first round picks to get Earl Thomas to win a SB............AND have to pay him 40M guaranteed.

Also why he's still playing here.

You asked the question, I answered. Earl's a great player, but between the low value of safeties and his extension demands, you ain't getting multiple first rounders for him. Not to mention his age and injury history.

No I didn't. Ambrose83 did. Your answer is an opinion about the position being low value. You're not getting multiple first rounders for Tom Brady either and he plays a highly valued position. I don't believe anyone on here thinks they will get multiple first round picks for ET. I believe they could get multiple picks for him and one of those could be a 1st round pick.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
hawksincebirth":1hnrdbg8 said:
So the guy that had two picks yesterday was undervalued , hof safeties are in the draft every year

His position is undervalued, and in fact the most undervalued it's ever been. The safety market is at rock bottom right now.

It's why Earl' still here, no one wants to give up a first rounder (or more) and have to pay him 40M guaranteed for the next 4-5 years........and it's why we don't want to pay him either.

OP
OP
toffee

toffee

Reaction score
Think positive guys, send good chi to Jerry, Andy and Quinn, may one of them sacrifice a 1st plus a mid rounder for our Earl.

My worse nightmare is for John to get all sentimental and give Earl away for a 2nd plus a 5th or something.