New kickoff rules…

Bear-Hawk

Reaction score
The kick returner catches the kick at 5 yard line. Most of his blockers are on the 35. Ergo, he is 30 yards from his blockers. That’s a problem under the new rules. How do you resolve this? It seems the new rules put the receiving team at a disadvantage.

JPatera76

Reaction score
watching the UFL seems to work out just fine because afaik those are who's rules they pretty much changed it too mimic.

OP
OP
Bear-Hawk

Bear-Hawk

Reaction score
watching the UFL seems to work out just fine because afaik those are who's rules they pretty much changed it too mimic.
Do you watch UFL? What field position does the offense usually have after the kickoff? Uber the new NFL rules, if you just bomb the kick into the end zone, they start at the 20. So nothing changes unless the rules give the kicking team a good chance to pin the receiving team inside the 20.

JPatera76

Reaction score
Do you watch UFL? What field position does the offense usually have after the kickoff? Uber the new NFL rules, if you just bomb the kick into the end zone, they start at the 20. So nothing changes unless the rules give the kicking team a good chance to pin the receiving team inside the 20.
yes I have, and the kickoffs are far more entertaining. I think you’re confusing or not understanding the new rules. Go watch some UFL/or previous XFL games or highlights. The kickoffs are vastly more enjoyable.

and it’s explained and shown here

I personally think people like to bitch just to bitch. And I think this rule change is just that with a lot of ill informed people jumping ahead of themselves before thoroughly researching or understanding it.

Throw in Tyreek Hill, DK, Etc your speedsters. Can they pin them? Yes, it’s been done plenty of times in the UFL/XFL.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Once I see those two, not worth even clicking. But I'm sure it was just a bunch of angry back and forth.
I'm looking forward to seeing how the new kickoff rules impact the game. Beats the hell out of a bunch of touchbacks, yawn.

OP
OP
Bear-Hawk

Bear-Hawk

Reaction score
yes I have, and the kickoffs are far more entertaining. I think you’re confusing or not understanding the new rules. Go watch some UFL/or previous XFL games or highlights. The kickoffs are vastly more enjoyable.

and it’s explained and shown here

I personally think people like to bitch just to bitch. And I think this rule change is just that with a lot of ill informed people jumping ahead of themselves before thoroughly researching or understanding it.

Throw in Tyreek Hill, DK, Etc your speedsters. Can they pin them? Yes, it’s been done plenty of times in the UFL/XFL.

I have been watching some of it on YouTube. I think with a close game in 4Q or playoffs, teams should get their starting offensive line out there to block on kick returns. From what I’ve seen, the blockers mostly drop back about 5 yards and anchor — much like a tackle vs. DE.

Anyway, getting back to my question, what’s the average starting field position after a kickoff? How often does the receiving team get pinned inside the 20? If that’s hard to do, these NFL kickers are just going to continue bombing it into the end zone to bring it to the 20 to start.

BASF

Reaction score
I have been watching some of it on YouTube. I think with a close game in 4Q or playoffs, teams should get their starting offensive line out there to block on kick returns. From what I’ve seen, the blockers mostly drop back about 5 yards and anchor — much like a tackle vs. DE.

Anyway, getting back to my question, what’s the average starting field position after a kickoff? How often does the receiving team get pinned inside the 20? If that’s hard to do, these NFL kickers are just going to continue bombing it into the end zone to bring it to the 20 to start.

The touchback rule​

If a kick hits in the end zone and stays inbounds, it can be either returned or downed. If downed then touchback to the 30-yard line. Any kick that goes out of the back of the end zone (in the air or bounces), results in a touchback to the 30-yard line.

"This is one year only," said Atlanta Falcons CEO and Competition Committee Chairman Rich McKay. "We'll be able to tweak it so maybe the touchback returns to the 35. This will definitely reduce the return number, so something we thought could be as high as 85-90% will be around 50-60%. That's okay with us.

"The extra five yards, if you kick the touchback, is good for offense. That's the starting point. If it works the way we think it will, could it go to 35? Sure."

Maybe CBS has it wrong, but touchbacks go to the thirty.

OP
OP
Bear-Hawk

Bear-Hawk

Reaction score
I think they are talking about possibly changing it from 30 to 35 next year. Also, not all touchbacks go to the 30. If it lands between the goal line and 20 but rolls into the end zone, it comes out to the 20.

BASF

Reaction score
I think they are talking about possibly changing it from 30 to 35 next year. Also, not all touchbacks go to the 30. If it lands between the goal line and 20 but rolls into the end zone, it comes out to the 20.
Accurate, but your point that teams could just "bomb the kick into the end zone to get the opponents to start at the twenty" was what I was refuting.

OP
OP
Bear-Hawk

Bear-Hawk

Reaction score
Accurate, but your point that teams could just "bomb the kick into the end zone to get the opponents to start at the twenty" was what I was refuting.
Right. I read that teams will need good “hands” guys to field kickoffs, because some kickers will try to smash it low to get it bouncing around and maybe get it to roll into the end zone. Speaking only for the Bears, I am pretty sure Velus Jones will muff some of these kickoffs. He is VERY fast (4.3 in 40) but has stone hands. Poles loves him.