NBA returning to Seattle?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blitzer88

Reaction score
Man, if the many options that Chris mentioned in his statement really only includes suing than what is the point, no way we win that.......I'm just gonna go hide under my bed.

dunceface

Reaction score
I want to see Stern dragged across the coals and then all these Sac fans in here set on fire

JOz56

Reaction score
Blitzer88":2e9kobfk said:
Man, if the many options that Chris mentioned in his statement really only includes suing than what is the point, no way we win that.......I'm just gonna go hide under my bed.

LOL, we aren't getting a team anyways dude. Might as well make it known they messed up, drag em across the coals, and tarnish the league's image forever. Ensuring that we, or any other city aren't used for leverage like this ever again. It's about sending a message.

TheRealDTM

Reaction score
dunceface":3tfke6s6 said:
I want to see Stern dragged across the coals and then all these Sac fans in here set on fire

Coals are weak, drag him across used aids needles and radioactive material, then fill his mouth with asbestos.

Laloosh

Reaction score
Something must have REALLY changed.. I was just recalling something that I'd read where Cuban discussed the possibility of relocating a team. Back in October, this NBA owner said:

"... so - whether Sacramento or any team - it's going to be up to somebody to go in there and acquire the team, and then make an application to move the team to Seattle. What I can tell you is I can't imagine any owner standing in the way of that. … I'd be shocked if any owner stood up and said that was a bad idea."

http://deadspin.com/5948031/mark-cuban- ... to-seattle

Maybe Chris goes through w/ the purchase and watches the arena deal fall apart down there, then re-applies for relocation. The more I think about it, he should have just pulled a Clay.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Uncle Si":3r15yc82 said:
salamander":3r15yc82 said:
I'm sorry you won't be getting a team in the immediate future, but the Kings belong in Sacramento. The problem was the Maloofs... not the fans, city, or team support. With the Maloofs gone the team will thrive again. I hope you understand that by the team staying in Sacramento, millions of people will avoid having to go through the same heartbreak you did when you lost the Sonics.

Seattle deserves a team, no doubt, and I hope they get one, but Sacramento was not the town to take it from.
-Kings Fan

by millions do you mean the 13000 fans (last in the league) you averaged this season?

dont act all tough ("Sacramento is not the town to take it from") because you got bailed out by Stern and a half ass offer. you got lucky. you didnt survive drowning because you're a strong swimmer, you had a rope thrown to you. and if finishing last in attendance behind NBA powerhouses like the Bobcats and Pelicans is some show of your cities undying love for the team then god help the NBA and Sacramento.

so kindly f--- off

The Kings were grossly missmanaged and the Maloofs had shown their a bunch of cheats and liars. Seattle only out-attended Sacramento in 3 of 23 years.

so you've managed to average less than 14,500 (which would be last) over the three years prior to this season as well. So what you're saying is your city will back a winning team. but when youre losing.....

again.... f--- off. Noone here wants to hear you defend your city. noone here cares. im happy for you. but to say "Sacramento isnt that city" is simply ridiculous
I rarely agree with you on much of anything, but Amen brother! :th2thumbs:

JOz56

Reaction score
E.C. Laloosh":1qs2kwb1 said:
Something must have REALLY changed.. I was just recalling something that I'd read where Cuban discussed the possibility of relocating a team. Back in October, this NBA owner said:

"... so - whether Sacramento or any team - it's going to be up to somebody to go in there and acquire the team, and then make an application to move the team to Seattle. What I can tell you is I can't imagine any owner standing in the way of that. … I'd be shocked if any owner stood up and said that was a bad idea."

http://deadspin.com/5948031/mark-cuban- ... to-seattle

Maybe Chris goes through w/ the purchase and watches the arena deal fall apart down there, then re-applies for relocation. The more I think about it, he should have just pulled a Clay.

Stern is what changed. I'm betting there is more going on behind the scenes than meets the eye. This is gonna get messy.

JOz56

Reaction score
vedthree":gp5ojztc said:
JOz56":gp5ojztc said:
Stern is what changed. I'm betting there is more going on behind the scenes than meets the eye. This is gonna get messy.

IMO, the only thing going on behind the scenes is that Stern & the majority of NBA owners simply value the public subsidies above all else.

http://www.fieldofschemes.com/2013/...w-just-has-to-figure-out-how-to-pay-for-them/

Yeah, I was thinking about that last night. If that is the case (which it more than likely is) then I am ok with burning the bridge and drawing blood in the process.

TheRealDTM

Reaction score
JOz56":2fmwg4ir said:
vedthree":2fmwg4ir said:
JOz56":2fmwg4ir said:

IMO, the only thing going on behind the scenes is that Stern & the majority of NBA owners simply value the public subsidies above all else.

http://www.fieldofschemes.com/2013/...w-just-has-to-figure-out-how-to-pay-for-them/

Yeah, I was thinking about that last night. If that is the case (which it more than likely is) then I am ok with burning the bridge and drawing blood in the process.

Yeah unless they give us a schedule for an expansion team it's scorched earth time. Drag the NBA through the mud, make them pay damages to chris hansen then have the maloofs keep the team and get themselves a new arena. GO MALOOFS!

just going to leave this here:

2020888339.jpg

vedthree

Reaction score
JOz56":34boc3az said:

Agreed.

BTW: there is a lot of really good discussion in the comments on that article (a lot of it just confirming what we already suspect)

The NBA purposely held the relocation vote first, figuring that not being able to move the team would force Hansen to voluntarily withdraw his offer, then the Maloofs are left with Sacto as their only option to sell. The NBA knows that officially rejecting the Hansen sale opens them up to major legal liability - tortious contract interference on Hansen's side and anti-trust violations on the Maloofs' side.

Bottom line, IMO, Hansen still has major leverage here. The NBA can't legally force him to withdraw his offer, and they can't legally force the Maloofs to sell to the Sacto group. All that has to happen is for Hansen to say "I'm the new owner, so talk to me about the arena" or the Maloofs to say "we're voluntarily not selling, so work with us on the arena" .... if either one of those things happen *POOF* the Sacto deal falls apart (because the only reason the investors are interested is because they'd get the arena profits as owners, the plan doesn't work any other way)

The only thing the NBA CAN do at this point is have Hansen drop out voluntarily - either by threat or by buying him off. All Hansen has to do is hold strong. If I'm Hansen, I'm telling Stern right now that the only way I withdraw my offer is with the official granting of an expansion team this offseason (although it'd probably be 2014 before they saw the court), without that, I'm the Kings new majority owner and I'll stay in Sacto as long as it takes to pull a Bennett on them.

JOz56

Reaction score
vedthree":9mhk9q9b said:
JOz56":9mhk9q9b said:

Agreed.

BTW: there is a lot of really good discussion in the comments on that article (a lot of it just confirming what we already suspect)

The NBA purposely held the relocation vote first, figuring that not being able to move the team would force Hansen to voluntarily withdraw his offer, then the Maloofs are left with Sacto as their only option to sell. The NBA knows that officially rejecting the Hansen sale opens them up to major legal liability - tortious contract interference on Hansen's side and anti-trust violations on the Maloofs' side.

Bottom line, IMO, Hansen still has major leverage here. The NBA can't legally force him to withdraw his offer, and they can't legally force the Maloofs to sell to the Sacto group. All that has to happen is for Hansen to say "I'm the new owner, so talk to me about the arena" or the Maloofs to say "we're voluntarily not selling, so work with us on the arena" .... if either one of those things happen *POOF* the Sacto deal falls apart (because the only reason the investors are interested is because they'd get the arena profits as owners, the plan doesn't work any other way)

The only thing the NBA CAN do at this point is have Hansen drop out voluntarily - either by threat or by buying him off. All Hansen has to do is hold strong. If I'm Hansen, I'm telling Stern right now that the only way I withdraw my offer is with the official granting of an expansion team this offseason (although it'd probably be 2014 before they saw the court), without that, I'm the Kings new majority owner and I'll stay in Sacto as long as it takes to pull a Bennett on them.

Yup. "We played nice and did the 'wink wink nudge nudge' thing once. That didn't work. We'll go ahead and purchase the team, making this as big of a disaster as possible for everyone involved. Don't want that to happen? Give us a team, guaranteed."

Msfann

Reaction score
Even the fact that stern threatened Seattle with this scorched earth crap before when the sonics left just shows how much of a bully and a thug he is. Threatening to make sure we never got another team in this city again unless Seattle backed off on its lawsuits. No farken way should the commissioner of a major league sport should talk that way.

I hope the Seattle group stays in it for the long haul and refuses to take no for an answer until they end up with a team.

falcongoggles

Reaction score
Throwdown":2cn07rvj said:
I saw on Sonicsrising that its only a small penalty to spit in someones face, anyone wanna take the dive with me and spit on Stern?

And if we throw a shoe? What's the penalty for that?

Lords of Scythia

Reaction score
vedthree":3s0h4kcd said:
Still thinking about this whole mess this morning and was listening to Brock & Danny on 710 .... Brock brought up a great point that I hadn't considered:

Despite Seattle's offer being superior in every way, it lacks one MAJOR aspect that Sacto promises to deliver - $250M in public subsidy. Seattle's offer doesn't involve handing public money over to the NBA. I-91 is still in effect here. The "public" portion of our package is not a subsidy, it's basically a loan backed by Hansen/Balmer & paid back to the city (with interest). $250M public money is always going to trump $500M private money in the eyes of all the owners - because none of them want to set the precedent where they may be asked to pony up for their own arena or improvements in the future. It's a Billionaire Boy's Club that survives sucking on the government teat. The potential of the Seattle market means less to the bottom line than having cities like Sacto, Milwaukee, OKC, Charlotte, etc stumbling over themselves to pay the NBA for the "privilege" of providing even more corporate welfare.

Even after this morning when I'm more clearheaded & less emotional about it, I still think going Nuclear is Hansen's only option. We have no guarantee of a team otherwise. We're never going to be an appealing market to the NBA because we've shown we won't play their public money game, and that still hasn't changed. We're their leverage to get public money from other cities, and they'll keep us on the hook for that purpose as long as they can. If we continue to "play nice", there's no telling how long this will drag out. We simply don't have the time to wait. In our lifetimes, at least - we're never going to get a white knight ownership group like this again. we're never going to have the pieces lined up to get an arena like this built, and we're NEVER going to have a government willing to subsidize (hell, it took Hansen moving mountains for the local government to agree to let him spend his own money)

We need to show the NBA unequivocally that we're not going to play their games. This has become even more personal for me - I want this done the right way. I want it validated how bad we've been screwed over. I want an expansion team, not some sloppy seconds, and I want to fight the NBA and win. I'd rather never have a team here than be used again.

That makes a hell of a lot of sense - why Stern has been against Seattle from the begining. He can't say it publically. This filthy deal always reeked of some secret agenda. Stern is the kind of filth that would kill the Sonics to retain corporate welfare for the NBA owner.

The Outfield

Reaction score
Hansen's give-a-shit meter:

min [*----------------------] max

Chris Daniels ‏@ChrisDaniels5 28s
JUST IN: #SeattleArena Master Use Permit has been filed, as scheduled. Plans will be unveiled to the public tomorrow afternoon.

Throwdown

Reaction score
just going to make his argument more concrete on the 15th when he speaks to the BOG.

I'm telling you, if we don't get a Thank You Chris flag ontop of the Space Needle when he does acquire a team, something is very friggin wrong in this city.

Status
Not open for further replies.