Myles Murphy & Drew Sanders

nwHawk

Reaction score
Full disclosure, I like Brooks, but not for where this scheme is headed. And not as the MLB.

KinesProf

Reaction score
Clemsons defense was pretty good.
Yes, and they usually will be, given the level of talent that they are able to put on the field relative to the ACC schedule that they play. They are able to out athlete most teams. But when the level of competition increased: Wake Forest put 45 on them; Notre Dame - 35; FSU - 28; South Carolina - 31. The teams that they held to low totals weren't particularly good.

I'm not saying Murphy, Bresee, and Simpson can't be good pros; but I'm underwhelmed to this point. They've gotten by on being superior athletes, which doesn't amount to much in the NFL where every team has great athletes.

I would have liked to at least seen one of them get their development to the point of being nominated for any combination of the Nagurski/Bednarik/Lombardi/Outland/Hendricks/Butkus etc awards. Being on the all-Acc teams were a given. You look at what JJ Watt worked towards and he won the Lott award and was 1st team All-American in his final season; Khalil Mack - 1st team All-American and the Lambert trophy in his final season. The Bosas, Myles Garrett, TJ Watt, Jalen Ramsey, amongst others all found that elite performance level in college.

It concerns me when a college player as talented as Bresee, Murphy and Simpson don't ascend to that truly elite level of performance while playing at a level of football where they are better athletes than most of their opponents. Is it motor? is it want to? is it coaching? Christian Wilkins and Isaiah Simmons both found that elite level of performance at Clemson.

Hawkinaz

Reaction score
Yes, and they usually will be, given the level of talent that they are able to put on the field relative to the ACC schedule that they play. They are able to out athlete most teams. But when the level of competition increased: Wake Forest put 45 on them; Notre Dame - 35; FSU - 28; South Carolina - 31. The teams that they held to low totals weren't particularly good.

I'm not saying Murphy, Bresee, and Simpson can't be good pros; but I'm underwhelmed to this point. They've gotten by on being superior athletes, which doesn't amount to much in the NFL where every team has great athletes.

I would have liked to at least seen one of them get their development to the point of being nominated for any combination of the Nagurski/Bednarik/Lombardi/Outland/Hendricks/Butkus etc awards. Being on the all-Acc teams were a given. You look at what JJ Watt worked towards and he won the Lott award and was 1st team All-American in his final season; Khalil Mack - 1st team All-American and the Lambert trophy in his final season. The Bosas, Myles Garrett, TJ Watt, Jalen Ramsey, amongst others all found that elite performance level in college.

It concerns me when a college player as talented as Bresee, Murphy and Simpson don't ascend to that truly elite level of performance while playing at a level of football where they are better athletes than most of their opponents. Is it motor? is it want to? is it coaching? Christian Wilkins and Isaiah Simmons both found that elite level of performance at Clemson.
Agree with what you said about the Clemson players they do play a different defense especially Simpson who was a stud LB and you had him lining up against slot receivers in pass coverage. IMO Simpson should have been making a lot more plays considering how athletic he is

QuahHawk

Reaction score
Our defense not having an identity and seemingly in limbo on what formation and personnel we need. This amount of draft ammo can help us rebuild our front 7.

Chevy

Reaction score
I have more faith in LB Drew Sanders than I do DE Myles Murphy. If both are sitting at #20 then team meeting, IMO, will be the deciding factor. Sanders will be a hedge to our current overrated ILB.

BASF

Reaction score
I have more faith in LB Drew Sanders than I do DE Myles Murphy. If both are sitting at #20 then team meeting, IMO, will be the deciding factor. Sanders will be a hedge to our current overrated ILB.
Pairing Brooks with Sanders sounds good to me as long as Sanders is making the calls. Brooks main failing is that he was not good at getting our defense lined up properly. He was also calling the line slants to the wrong side more than I have ever seen from one of our linebackers. There are very few linebackers that can perform well with the lack of line play that we have gotten for the past few years.