OP
OP
L

LTH

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1dc3mjta said:
LTH":1dc3mjta said:
Has this team given up? No they have not

This is really the only positive I took out of last night's game, the Hawks didn't quit......and the emergence of Tre Brown, he was the lone bright spot on defense.

But other than this, yes you are being overly optimistic. Both the Rams and Cards are boat racing teams, so without Russell for another 3-4 weeks means by the time he comes back we'll be at LEAST 5-6 games out with half the season gone.

Which is fine, optimism. Nothing wrong with that.

Maybe maybe not... we don't know what's going to happen all I'm saying is there was improvement by the D... the corners made some nice plays against good receivers... the O moved the ball against a good D... there are things to build on when your turning it around they have to start somewhere... I'm not saying all the issues are fixed but what more do you want from a team that is down? team NOT giving up and showing improvement every week... sure people can pick it apart and see the negative in it... they can do that every week no matter what happens... or they can see it for what it is and see there is improvement ... I don't hold a crystal ball I don't know whats going to happen I just saw way more good in that game than bad... but the bottom line is they lost a tough one on the road I'm not trying to be overly optimistic its just that I have seen Pete Carroll teams make amazing comebacks in games why not seasons... I enjoy it to much to give up on it...

LTH

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
John63":2b2ddo3s said:
LTH":2b2ddo3s said:
John63":2b2ddo3s said:
okay perspective time

this was a bottom 5 offense we faced. So saying the defense played well is hollow.

As to the offense once again we waste da half of football proving this is not a Wilson issue or Geno issue but either a Waldron issue or PC issue.

Now as to Geno mixed bag. good complt%, 1 td decent Passer rating. On the other end 6 batted balls, and the fumble. that's 2 TOs in 1.3 games. 6,5 ypa not great, 5 sacks. So in one full game, Geno has almost 40% of the sacks in 1 game that Wilson had in 5 games. Once again showing it's either the oline or playcalling or design. Again lost TOP (mostly due to long drives by the opponent), again bad on 3rd down(mostly due to 3rd and longs), We did not give up over 400 yards on defense only 345, but again Pitt is a bottom 5 offense. Penalties are an issue again 6 but they all hurt.

So in other words same old same old, just luckily against a bottom 5 offense and a defense missing 2 of its starters on defense.

So to me, it was the same old same old, except we can now say it is not a Wilson thing, not a Geno thing. It's either Waldron or PC or both.

Ok lets start here ...so I find it interesting that the O came alive when they started running the ball... it opened up the passing attack... Its my understanding that Pete made those adjustments... they scored 20 points against a good D..

Regardless if the O was good or not the corner backs made some nice plays DJ reed and Tre Brown looked good... and jones was even better

So ok you can say that the hawks played against a week O that's fine but you can't say that those plays the corners made were not solid much improved in technique plays... there is good things to build upon... the key games are still ahead we still Play AZ twice and the Rams once...

LTH

Lol if u watched thr game u would have heard that the Steeles came out expecting the Hawks to pass. So that may have had something to do with it. Once Pitt adjusted to the run we were toast with our last 6 drives ending in only 2 fgs. And a wrapping 100 yards. The run game caught them.by surprise but that lasted 2 drives. Great after eating a half of football PC decided that. A good catch would have decided that after 1 qtr or less.

Not getting the improved secondary talk either. Pittsburgh was without one of their best receivers and Johnson was catching the ball at will (9 receptions). Freiermuth (who is that?) had 7 receptions. I'll wait until they play against Green Bay and Arizona before I evaluate for any improvement.

OP
OP
L

LTH

Reaction score
pittpnthrs":w5wy4lkc said:
John63":w5wy4lkc said:
LTH":w5wy4lkc said:
John63":w5wy4lkc said:
okay perspective time

this was a bottom 5 offense we faced. So saying the defense played well is hollow.

As to the offense once again we waste da half of football proving this is not a Wilson issue or Geno issue but either a Waldron issue or PC issue.

Now as to Geno mixed bag. good complt%, 1 td decent Passer rating. On the other end 6 batted balls, and the fumble. that's 2 TOs in 1.3 games. 6,5 ypa not great, 5 sacks. So in one full game, Geno has almost 40% of the sacks in 1 game that Wilson had in 5 games. Once again showing it's either the oline or playcalling or design. Again lost TOP (mostly due to long drives by the opponent), again bad on 3rd down(mostly due to 3rd and longs), We did not give up over 400 yards on defense only 345, but again Pitt is a bottom 5 offense. Penalties are an issue again 6 but they all hurt.

So in other words same old same old, just luckily against a bottom 5 offense and a defense missing 2 of its starters on defense.

So to me, it was the same old same old, except we can now say it is not a Wilson thing, not a Geno thing. It's either Waldron or PC or both.

Ok lets start here ...so I find it interesting that the O came alive when they started running the ball... it opened up the passing attack... Its my understanding that Pete made those adjustments... they scored 20 points against a good D..

Regardless if the O was good or not the corner backs made some nice plays DJ reed and Tre Brown looked good... and jones was even better

So ok you can say that the hawks played against a week O that's fine but you can't say that those plays the corners made were not solid much improved in technique plays... there is good things to build upon... the key games are still ahead we still Play AZ twice and the Rams once...

LTH

Lol if u watched thr game u would have heard that the Steeles came out expecting the Hawks to pass. So that may have had something to do with it. Once Pitt adjusted to the run we were toast with our last 6 drives ending in only 2 fgs. And a wrapping 100 yards. The run game caught them.by surprise but that lasted 2 drives. Great after eating a half of football PC decided that. A good catch would have decided that after 1 qtr or less.

Not getting the improved secondary talk either. Pittsburgh was without one of their best receivers and Johnson was catching the ball at will (9 receptions). Freiermuth (who is that?) had 7 receptions. I'll wait until they play against Green Bay and Arizona before I evaluate for any improvement.

It was better than the last game against the Rams yes the Rams are better than the Steelers but the technique was better DJ reed made some nice plays, Jones had some nice plays and so did Tre brown had a great play ... Its something to build on I'm unsure if it's fixed or not but its something to build on...

LTH

OP
OP
L

LTH

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3gvlt4uo said:
LTH":3gvlt4uo said:

This is really the only positive I took out of last night's game, the Hawks didn't quit......and the emergence of Tre Brown, he was the lone bright spot on defense.

But other than this, yes you are being overly optimistic. Both the Rams and Cards are boat racing teams, so without Russell for another 3-4 weeks means by the time he comes back we'll be at LEAST 5-6 games out with half the season gone.

Lets be fair about this I said from the beginning of the season the Hawks were going to have a slow start I predicted a 1-4 start.. so Its not like I'm being unrealistic... go Back and look...

LTH

RiverDog

Reaction score
LTH":2cw6gvbv said:
The bottom line is they lost the game... This puts them in a deep hole...

There was improvement on D...The secondary was much tighter... they improved on 3rd down conversion and they were better against the run...the D put the team into position to win the game...

It just depends on how you see it... they lost a tough one in over time, on the road, to a good Steelers D.

The Steelers defense is middle of the road, slightly above average. We have tougher defenses left on our remaining slate. With the Cards at 6-0 and the Rams 5-1 plus a win over us, we're in a little more than a hole. Lose next week and we can start thinking about who to trade before the deadline.

I thought Geno played well over all...He managed the game very well. He did not play as well as I thought he was going to.

I disagree. Although one can personally give him a break as it was his first start in years, he was off target, got at least 3 passes batted down, and committed a fatal turnover in overtime. He targeted Lockett, without a doubt our best route runner and hands receiver, 7 times, completing just two. He finished the evening with a 24.4 QBR.

They were very conservative in the first half which makes me think they were trying to get him in the rhythm of the game with out putting to much pressure on him... I think the expectation I had for him was unrealistic for his first start in years. Will he be better? I think he will... But I also think its UNREALISTIC to JUDGE Geno off of ONE start.

Conservative in the first half? We opened the second half with 9 runs on a 10 play drive. Getting production out of our running game should have produced results in our passing game, but it didn't happen. It's certainly not all his fault, but 165 yards passing is pretty paltry for an NFL offense, especially when you consider that we had two possessions in OT.

I'm not judging Geno by one game. As you said, it was just one start. But let's be frank. His play last night was very poor even when you take into consideration all of the other factors he had to deal with. If I had to give him a grade, it would be a D, and it's only that high because he didn't turn the ball over in regulation. He's a veteran with starting experience and has been with our team for several years. I expected more.

John63

Reaction score
LTH":20jk5u2d said:
pittpnthrs":20jk5u2d said:
John63":20jk5u2d said:
LTH":20jk5u2d said:

LTH

It was better than the last game against the Rams yes the Rams are better than the Steelers but the technique was better DJ reed made some nice plays, Jones had some nice plays and so did Tre brown had a great play ... Its something to build on I'm unsure if it's fixed or not but its something to build on...

LTH

So your are comparing how our defense did aginst top 5 offense against a bottom 5 really? And because they played better against a bottom.5 u think that shows something? Wow

OP
OP
L

LTH

Reaction score
RiverDog":1ioyj7xw said:
LTH":1ioyj7xw said:
The bottom line is they lost the game... This puts them in a deep hole...

There was improvement on D...The secondary was much tighter... they improved on 3rd down conversion and they were better against the run...the D put the team into position to win the game...

It just depends on how you see it... they lost a tough one in over time, on the road, to a good Steelers D.

The Steelers defense is middle of the road, slightly above average. We have tougher defenses left on our remaining slate. With the Cards at 6-0 and the Rams 5-1 plus a win over us, we're in a little more than a hole. Lose next week and we can start thinking about who to trade before the deadline.

I thought Geno played well over all...He managed the game very well. He did not play as well as I thought he was going to.

I disagree. Although one can personally give him a break as it was his first start in years, he was off target, got at least 3 passes batted down, and committed a fatal turnover in overtime. He targeted Lockett, without a doubt our best route runner and hands receiver, 7 times, completing just two. He finished the evening with a 24.4 QBR.

They were very conservative in the first half which makes me think they were trying to get him in the rhythm of the game with out putting to much pressure on him... I think the expectation I had for him was unrealistic for his first start in years. Will he be better? I think he will... But I also think its UNREALISTIC to JUDGE Geno off of ONE start.

Conservative in the first half? We opened the second half with 9 runs on a 10 play drive. Getting production out of our running game should have produced results in our passing game, but it didn't happen. It's certainly not all his fault, but 165 yards passing is pretty paltry for an NFL offense, especially when you consider that we had two possessions in OT.

I'm not judging Geno by one game. As you said, it was just one start. But let's be frank. His play last night was very poor even when you take into consideration all of the other factors he had to deal with. If I had to give him a grade, it would be a D, and it's only that high because he didn't turn the ball over in regulation. He's a veteran with starting experience and has been with our team for several years. I expected more.

Not going to argue that point because I expected more as well.. although it seemed to me they didn't throw anything over 10-15 yards that first half... they didn't get their star players like locket involved much... I have to go rewatch the game but I thought Geno wasn't great but he wasn't horrible I don't think the O woes were all on him... I remember a sack because one of the backs didn't chip... I expected Geno to pick up the blitz better... I gave him a C but again they scored 20 points in the 2nd half and Geno was good enough to send the game into overtime... there is something to build on... didn't help when Lewis went out seemed like things went down hill after he got hurt

OP
OP
L

LTH

Reaction score
John63":211na42o said:
LTH":211na42o said:
pittpnthrs":211na42o said:
John63":211na42o said:

LTH

So your are comparing how our defense did aginst top 5 offense against a bottom 5 really? And because they played better against a bottom.5 u think that shows something? Wow

You seem to miss my points a lot... Technique was better.. the understanding of the scheme was better... I think there was improvement by the corner play couple of really nice plays by DJ reed. we will have to see what happens next game to see how much they improved and if its going to stick but they have something to build on and if they are going to turn it around it has to start somewhere... we will see.

Fade

Reaction score
LTH":1av84s72 said:
Thats what you said last year when you were SURE the Hawks were not going to make the Playoffs....
LTH

When did I say that? I had the Seahawks making the playoffs the whole year, just that they would not doing anything once they got there.

LTH":1av84s72 said:
Ive seen many great comebacks from a Pete Carroll team and I enjoy watching football I'm not going to just give up and throw the whole season down the drain until it becomes that situation... if you want to that's fine... but if and when they make a comeback you won't even be able to enjoy that just like last year... that's fine but don't try to make me feel bad because you do how fair is that?

What comeback did they make last year? The offense going into the tank in the 2nd half, and getting embarrassed by the Rams at home in the playoffs, with no Aaron Donald and Jarod Goff with and injured thumb on his throwing hand? Delusion is exactly what has put this team in this current predicament. More delusion isn't going to fix this. I'm not giving up on the Seahawks. I've given up on Pete Carroll, big difference.

RiverDog

Reaction score
LTH":1o61xxew said:
Not going to argue that point because I expected more as well.. although it seemed to me they didn't throw anything over 10-15 yards that first half... they didn't get their star players like locket involved much... I have to go rewatch the game but I thought Geno wasn't great but he wasn't horrible I don't think the O woes were all on him... I remember a sack because one of the backs didn't chip... I expected Geno to pick up the blitz better... I gave him a C but again they scored 20 points in the 2nd half and Geno was good enough to send the game into overtime... there is something to build on... didn't help when Lewis went out seemed like things went down hill after he got hurt

Yea, I forgot about losing Lewis. That didn't help any.

They tried to get Lockett involved. He had 7 targets, same as Metcalf. They weren't giving Geno enough time to take a lot of deep shots, but it didn't seem like we had a lot of plays to mitigate their pass rush, either.

Our offensive woes were not all on Geno, but he did lose that fumble that cost us the game. That took him from a 'C' down to a 'D'.

As far as building on anything, Geno's not our QBOTF, he's our backup. His job is to hold things together until the starter is healthy. Russell could be back as early as the Packer's game following our bye. That gives Geno two more starts, both at home. Our construction project had better be a prefab.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
DangeRussHawk":1a1o3a2m said:
The delusion is real with this post

So what you really wanted him to say was "stick a fork in them they're done". You do appreciate this is a forum where folks are encouraged to express their views even if you disagree. Further you need to appreciate everyone naturally doesn't share you totally negative perceptions of the team and it's prospects. We are all entitled to our viewpoints even if you disagree with the OP. The OP's post was a thoughtful and encouraged response to a losing effort that left him at least still of the belief that the fight for a playoff spot may not be done yet. many of us here are not yet prepared to be wringing our hand and saying "woe is us".

Previously the team has found ways to work themselves out of highly negative situations and to come out alright albeit perhaps not at genuine championship levels. It is also the case that things have gotten worse over the past few seasons with the ability of the defence to actually defend. I am personally an optimist and look for good where I can find it. Apparently you believe in a Eeyore state of mind like "Things could be worse though I'm not sure how." it 's been bad before if you know the history of the team, and bad before with this HC but the team has figured it out. They either will or they won't. You can believe the cup is half empty or worse or half full, it's entirely a matter of perspective.

To me the game last especially the 2nd half was finally somewhat enjoyable to watch, though the first half was certainly a tad discouraging. There were lots of positives to take from the game and a few players who performed very well. Many of the same structural problems of th D continued but were improved except when it was critically important for them not to be present. They ran the ball well in the 2nd half and were able to find some open passing lanes as a result. Was it good enough? Obviously not, but it wasn't an effort that caused me to think there still isn't a lot of fight left in the team.

At present the team is handicapped by the absence of their pro Bowl level QB, yet they showed up last night. Their record says how good they are, and presently it is the case they are not that good. There are many reasons for their poor record including questionable coaching but lack of fight in the dog isn't one of the reasons.

I find myself inclined to agree with Jville, who's calm voice here should cause us all to pause from the Chicken Little viewpoint espoused by many here. They could be right but so far no sky has fallen on me yet, it has been raining a lot recently though..

OP
OP
L

LTH

Reaction score
Fade":2p3k265d said:
LTH":2p3k265d said:
Thats what you said last year when you were SURE the Hawks were not going to make the Playoffs....
LTH

When did I say that? I had the Seahawks making the playoffs the whole year, just that they would not doing anything once they got there.

LTH":2p3k265d said:
Ive seen many great comebacks from a Pete Carroll team and I enjoy watching football I'm not going to just give up and throw the whole season down the drain until it becomes that situation... if you want to that's fine... but if and when they make a comeback you won't even be able to enjoy that just like last year... that's fine but don't try to make me feel bad because you do how fair is that?

What comeback did they make last year? The offense going into the tank in the 2nd half, and getting embarrassed by the Rams at home in the playoffs, with no Aaron Donald and Jarod Goff with and injured thumb on his throwing hand? Delusion is exactly what has put this team in this current predicament. More delusion isn't going to fix this. I'm not giving up on the Seahawks. I've given up on Pete Carroll, big difference.

If you were paying attention to what I was saying at the beginning of the season I said this team would start off slow. I was saying that it would not surprise me if they got off to a 1-4 start... so its not like I am saying this is a good football team right now...

The difference is that I believe that this team is not playing to its potential... I think they are going to bring it back and I think the D is turning right now... I think they have positives to build on... obviously you don't... u think Carroll is over the hill and not effective... I dis agree with you so we really can't have a productive conversation... Even if Carroll brings this team back and they lose in the play offs you still won't give him any credit for even bringing the team back from this deficit. Your mind is made up no matter what he says or does. The only thing that might change your mind and i'm not even sure about this, is if the Hawks win the SB... you will still find a reason of why Carroll needs to be fired... So I don't know what else to say we just dis agree on virtually every single point...

LTH

John63

Reaction score
LTH":22xvojsj said:
John63":22xvojsj said:
LTH":22xvojsj said:
pittpnthrs":22xvojsj said:

LTH

You seem to miss my points a lot... Technique was better.. the understanding of the scheme was better... I think there was improvement by the corner play couple of really nice plays by DJ reed. we will have to see what happens next game to see how much they improved and if its going to stick but they have something to build on and if they are going to turn it around it has to start somewhere... we will see.

I guess I just disagree there was nothing by the defense I thought was any improvement given who they were playing against,

John63

Reaction score
RiverDog":22bt0qb9 said:
LTH":22bt0qb9 said:

They tried to get Lockett involved. He had 7 targets, same as Metcalf. They weren't giving Geno enough time to take a lot of deep shots, but it didn't seem like we had a lot of plays to mitigate their pass rush, either.

Our offensive woes were not all on Geno, but he did lose that fumble that cost us the game. That took him from a 'C' down to a 'D'.

As far as building on anything, Geno's not our QBOTF, he's our backup. His job is to hold things together until the starter is healthy. Russell could be back as early as the Packer's game following our bye. That gives Geno two more starts, both at home. Our construction project had better be a prefab.

I agree with the premise, the problem is some on here blamed the Offense problems on Wilson. They even went so far as to say we would do better with Gneo, fewer sacks, wining TOP, etc. Guess what no. The problem with this team has been PC.

OP
OP
L

LTH

Reaction score
Fade":3kccg4e5 said:
LTH":3kccg4e5 said:
LTH

LTH":3kccg4e5 said:

Ok so to respond to the things that I didn't respond to.

I might have made a mistake and you might not have said that hawks were not going to make the playoffs sometimes i get the doubters confused.

I have seen some of the greatest comebacks from Carroll teams... from Russell Wilson. I put nothing past Pete Carroll... is he perfect? no he is not.. but then none of us are, we are all human. I don't remember specific times that the Hawks have made great comebacks I just know they have a bunch of them. so why is it inconceivable that they have a comeback year? there is no difference in mentality between a comeback game and a comeback yea. this team has some great players there is no reason why they can't make a run at it...

I could be wrong just as you could be wrong I just know that its frustrating having to lose. So im trying to enjoy the season the best that I can and I'm NOT being overly optimistic... this very well could happen.. Im not saying this is a great team right now I'm saying this team has great players and this team is NOT playing to its potential. The way a team plays to their potential is small victory's and building momentum continuing to improve every week...

LTH

toffee

Reaction score
LTH":1vxw7tet said:
Sgt. Largent":1vxw7tet said:
LTH":1vxw7tet said:

Lets be fair about this I said from the beginning of the season the Hawks were going to have a slow start I predicted a 1-4 start.. so Its not like I'm being unrealistic... go Back and look...

LTH
Haha you and I are the 1-4 gang, that said, I was hoping 1-4 will trigger changes, that remain to be seen.

Sent from my IN2017 using Tapatalk

AubHawk71

Reaction score
Optimism is good. Realism > Blind Optimism, tho.

If members post "you're being emotional/irrational" all that you are doing is defending your position by trying to cut down the opposing opinion. Do you say that to your wife, girlfriend, etc? Because if you do, you deserve the frying pan upside the head, grampa.

In the NFL, the Seahawks could stiil go 9-8 this year (go ahead, tell me which 7 games are a lock in the future). I don't see a one.

I would rather watch a mediocre team under new coaching for the next few years (doubtful with Russ, but somebody is leaving after this season, garrunnnnteeeed) than another lackluster under performance because the coaching is sucky and everyone thinks Pete with bring us another Super Bowl berth. The second of which he literally botched in the last minute of the entire NFL season.

LOB is gone.
Pete's defensive acumen is setting up shop in the football HOF. He's had enough already, why not share? Oh, he's a Boomer. You can have his gum when you pry it from his...cold...dead...mouth! Aye carumba.

RiverDog

Reaction score
RiverDog":10rlqf3o said:

LTH":10rlqf3o said:
I agree with the premise, the problem is some on here blamed the Offense problems on Wilson. They even went so far as to say we would do better with Gneo, fewer sacks, wining TOP, etc. Guess what no. The problem with this team has been PC.

Well, who ever said that is full of baloney (how do you like my G rated language?). Only the most avid RW hater would claim that Geno is better than Russell. He's unarguably one of the top 10 QB's in the league, top 5 in my book.

Having said that, I'm no Russell Wilson jock sniffer and while we have to admit that he does have some issues, specifically this notion of his that he's Superman and can salvage any and every botched play, he's not what's ailing us. You're right, the problems with this team start and end with Pete Carroll.

OP
OP
L

LTH

Reaction score
RiverDog":35lgj5h5 said:
RiverDog":35lgj5h5 said:

LTH":35lgj5h5 said:

Well, who ever said that is full of baloney (how do you like my G rated language?). Only the most avid RW hater would claim that Geno is better than Russell. He's unarguably one of the top 10 QB's in the league, top 5 in my book.

Having said that, I'm no Russell Wilson boot licker and while we have to admit that he does have some issues, specifically this notion of his that he's Superman and can salvage any and every botched play, he's not what's ailing us. You're right, the problems with this team start and end with Pete Carroll.

I never made that quote. I don't think the problem is with PC... where did you get that?

onepicknick1

Reaction score
You're getting excited for nothing people saying the D showed Improvement this was a good game of a couple of 2-3 teams and that's it what do you think Pitt should be better then that? they pretty much showed why they're 2-3 when they entered that game and so did we.