MRob on KJR @ 9:00 today (nm)

scakfan

Reaction score
Remember he was sick and lost some pounds when the cut came down. Maybe JS and PC are letting him test the market and will bring him back sometime later as a coach player personnel type if available?

Happy

Reaction score
Vet minimum for a player with 7-9 years of service is $840k. Rookie minimum is 405k.

435k doesn't sound like a lot relative to the cap, but if you're a GM allocating costs, for a position like FB that could be a significant number. Rosters are still top heavy salary wise so an easy answer is to plug in guys on rookie deals for certain positions.

12thManNorth

Reaction score
Thanks Sadhappy.

So if the vet minimum is $840k, I assume we could re-sign him at the pro-rated amount with only 14 of the 16 games remaining ? Ie, in and around $735k ?

volsunghawk

Reaction score
FlyingGreg":3jz2l5hg said:
C-Dub":3jz2l5hg said:
FlyingGreg":3jz2l5hg said:
They need to bring him back. Our running game is not functioning well.
Running game is fine. Jags sold out to stop the run and it backfired because DangeRuss ripped them a new one.

It's not "fine". Marshawn is not following his blocks efficiently because he hasn't built the chemistry he had with Mike Rob. It's very clear to see the disruption. It's not a knock, it's the reality of taking away a FB Lynch was extremely close with and had several years of inherent trust built up with and replacing him with a rookie trying to find his way right before the season started.

True enough, but the only way for Marshawn to build chemistry with Coleman and for Coleman to improve is for him to get experience. If the Seahawks want to maintain the identity of being a strong run team that can take over a game, they can't wait for aging FBs and RBs to start breaking down before they groom their successors. It's taking a smaller hit now to avoid a bigger hit a year or two from now and relying on the rest of the team to pick up any slack. It sucks, but it's probably the best way for the team to remain contenders for the long haul. Just my $0.02.

CornerHawk

Reaction score
Seahawkx":39ljkg22 said:
I dont have too much knowledge about the financial part of football so it might not be a wise question, but why did we need to cut him this season?? I mean, the 2 or 3 million we saved from cutting him, did we actually need that money this year? Does this money somehow help in resigning players next year or following year?

You can roll money over to the next year. Considering the contracts we have coming up it was necessary.

You would think they would have tried for league minimum at least.

Sounds like he was really sick and wouldn't have been playing yet anyways.

kf3339

Reaction score
I think the reality is that they hope Coleman can be the replacement FB long term. But short term he is not that guy no matter what PC, TC or JS think. If Lynch doesn't trust his blocks 110% then he is a liability, not an asset.

If I was them MRob would be told to get prepared to come back onto the team and I would use Ware's injury as a means to IR him for the rest of this year. I never liked having four Rb's to begin with.

Largent80

Reaction score
If Coleman had a smell applied to his blocking, I just watched a great dane pinching off a monument.

keatonisballin

Reaction score
kf3339":2toa63z9 said:
If I was them MRob would be told to get prepared to come back onto the team and I would use Ware's injury as a means to IR him for the rest of this year. I never liked having four Rb's to begin with.

I'd like to see that. I think its quite sad that he obviously still wants to be playing here and wasnt even asked to take a paycut. I understand the business the side of it though.

Its also quite sad that alot of people, myself included, thought once he was back to full health he'd be brought back. And now to see that it probably wont happen.

marymoorhawk

Reaction score
He is a popular player - but with the read option being a bigger part of the offense we aren't using a FB as much as we used to. Taking the fact that he played only 30% of our offensive snaps last year and would be looking at less this year it makes sense to let his bigger contract go. Sucks to have the business side of things play a part but thats the reality.

Basis4day

Reaction score
kf3339":2d1tv4fn said:
I think the reality is that they hope Coleman can be the replacement FB long term. But short term he is not that guy no matter what PC, TC or JS think. If Lynch doesn't trust his blocks 110% then he is a liability, not an asset.

We started last season with Lynch, Turbin, Washington, Robinson and Taua (Five).

We started this season with Lynch, Turbin, Michael, Ware and Coleman (Five).

Where has it been said that Lynch doesn't trust his blocks besides Kearly's Random Thoughts? How does that turn a single rookie player into a liability three games into the season when we are 3-0? I don't understand the impatience on display when it comes to rookie players who don't immediately display pro-bowl level efficiency.

Lynch came just shy of 100 yards against SF. Most teams haven't been able to to that the past three seasons. Lynch had three straight 100-yard games against San Francisco, dating to Week 16 of the 2012 season. During that span, the 49ers have allowed just two 100-yard rushers in their other 21 games (http://blog.sfgate.com/49ers/2013/09/12 ... ing-lynch/).

Our style of running is designed to wear down an opponent over an entire game. You need measure the team's success over the entire game. This is why Lynch appears to get better as a game goes on. 2 yard runs turn into 3, 4 even 5 yard averages by the end of games.
This isn't a coincidence, it's by design.

I would like to be beating other teams 21-0 at the end of the first quarter as much as anyone. But that would be more indicative in the opponents faults than out own strengths.

OrFan

Reaction score
Largent80":bgqo0mcp said:
If Coleman had a smell applied to his blocking, I just watched a great dane pinching off a monument.

Perfect! MRob is missed badly in the run game. If we wanted to save money there are a lot of other nobody players, that never will be anybody, that could have been cut.

BocciHawk

Reaction score
OrFan":3pr1d9em said:
Largent80":3pr1d9em said:

Perfect! MRob is missed badly in the run game. If we wanted to save money there are a lot of other nobody players, that never will be anybody, that could have been cut.

Doesn't work that way. $840k is something like five nobody players. Planning on playing with only 48 guys on the roster?

Basically it gets impossible really quick. The $$ above a single nobody player (rookie minimum) has to come out of one of the non minimum players... and there isn't that much $$ to go around, especially if the Seahawks (as is rumored) are trying to roll $4 to $5 million in cap over to next year.

Keep in mind I think the Seahawks right now only have $3.2 million in cap available and $2.5 million of that was for MRob i.e. if they hadn't cut him, they would have had less than a million in available cap, which is basically ridiculous in that if there's ANY sort of problem anywhere on the roster, you're having to call people in on Monday to restructure so you can sign some new guy... they want to have enough cap available that if there is some sudden problem and they need to spend a little money on a position, they can do it, and if they end up not needing that money, they want to roll it over to next year anyway.

My precise details are probably off a little bit but the overall outline is sound... and yes, you are right that if Mike would take a vet minimum deal, they could swing that against the cap, and have him on the roster, but anyone we cut will not make it to our PS, most likely, they'll be snapped up by someone else, and that's a young talented player that might have been a star for us in two or three years. You have to build for the future.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
I talked to one of the coaches and he told me the stories about Mike Rob being sick are true. He was in the hospital, he was very sick, and they weren't sure if he would be able to bounce back.

That played a huge role in his being cut, and a big part of why no teams have signed him since.

I know some weren't sure that the sickness thing was true, but it is. I'm sure money played a factor, but if Mike Rob had not gotten sick it is very likely he would still be a Seahawk. They just didn't have confidence that he was ready to go.

And as far as Coleman, I asked what they thought of him longterm. They are comparing Coleman's first couple games at FB to Mike Rob's first couple games at fullback and they see that Coleman has been performing better than Mike Rob did when he first started at the position. He's got potential to be better than Mike Rob was.

Greenhell

Reaction score
Mike Rob mentioned on the show today something regarding his kidneys and liver were taking a beating but I couldn't hear exactly what he said cus some loud mouthed lady in my office decided to open her pie hole and start talking just as MRob was explaining his health. Bitch.

Laloosh

Reaction score
Greenhell":2mv0ogcp said:
Mike Rob mentioned on the show today something regarding his kidneys and liver were taking a beating but I couldn't hear exactly what he said cus some loud mouthed lady in my office decided to open her pie hole and start talking just as MRob was explaining his health. Bitch.

Did you sweep the leg and show her what's up?

Greenhell

Reaction score
E.C. Laloosh":1gtnzxzv said:
Greenhell":1gtnzxzv said:

Did you sweep the leg and show her what's up?

Ohhh believe me...

Reaction score
Greenhell":2ec6o6mk said:
Mike Rob mentioned on the show today something regarding his kidneys and liver were taking a beating but I couldn't hear exactly what he said ...
What MRob said was that his kidneys and liver were taking a beating from a reaction to some prescription medicines.Fd0d7ttjizMlPMvnnNGZXTS6bjjZuZUqBmYH 9xN7QISW5xY3w
Get healthy MRob!
Go Hawks,
BillA

DavidSeven

Reaction score
I just don't think this was the year to break in a new fullback. I think Coleman is promising, but we've already seen the growing pains of changing personnel at that position. Beyond being a more reliable lead blocker, Mike Rob was basically a second QB on the field. I think this is an invaluable asset for a second-year QB such as Russell. Forget RRR and all that, I'm still not sold on this move from a pure performance perspective, especially after hearing that he was willing to take a pay cut.