More Geno Speculation - From 5 GM's & 3 Agents

scutterhawk

Reaction score
I love how Geno is playing but really?
30 million because he finally had himself good season? NFL Execs are nuts
It isn't his fault that his talents haven't been used.
He's doing what Russell Wilson could not do.
That kind of talent ->deserves to be decently paid<-.
Way too many folks had him underestimated & undervalued, and many folks STILL hanging on to those same goofy misconceptions of the guy.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
Wilson with all his athleticism & Rocket Launcher Arm couldn't do what Geno has done almost right from the get-go this year AND, he seems to be making improvements as the season wears on.
Looks like Geno's been sitting on the sidelines with a whole bunch of unused talent & untapped potential, biding his time.
Geno isn't all beat to hell, he makes snap-reads & unloads the ball fairly fast, so that helps him to stay healthy + those quick throws in turn, helps his 0-Line.
Hopefully he realizes that the more $$ he demands, the less there will be to upgrade the talent around him, though I do believe that the man rightfully deserves to get a decent payday.
I too like the idea of Drafting a young Quarterback in '23' to sit behind Geno and learn from the man.
I don't think Geno was ready to start until now. The Geno you're seeing here is much different than the guy that started from the Jets. Geno really credited Phillip Rivers for mentoring him and honing his pre snap abilities. Geno when he was drafted was immature and not ready for the NFL. The guy we are seeing isn't the same Geno that appeared on the Jets.

Geno needed to be humbled and he needed to mature. He put in his work and was cited as being a huge asset as a backup in game planning/helping the starter prepare. Smith was humble and believed in himself and his abilities as he sat on the bench.

I'm loving this redemption arc.

Last edited:

Hawkinaz

Reaction score
Wilson with all his athleticism & Rocket Launcher Arm couldn't do what Geno has done almost right from the get-go this year AND, he seems to be making improvements as the season wears on.
Looks like Geno's been sitting on the sidelines with a whole bunch of unused talent & untapped potential, biding his time.
Geno isn't all beat to hell, he makes snap-reads & unloads the ball fairly fast, so that helps him to stay healthy + those quick throws in turn, helps his 0-Line.
Hopefully he realizes that the more $$ he demands, the less there will be to upgrade the talent around him, though I do believe that the man rightfully deserves to get a decent payday.
I too like the idea of Drafting a young Quarterback in '23' to sit behind Geno and learn from the man.
And to quote PC “Geno does what he is told to do”

keasley45

Reaction score
Rich Gannon played for three teams as a journeyman QB before finding the right fit in Oakland and was league MVP.
Was speaking if contemporary journeymen - guts we could plug in if Geno walked.

But you're right. Gannon came out of nowhere and was a monster for a few years.

WarHawks

Reaction score
This.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
I don't think Geno was ready to start until now. The Geno you're seeing here is much different than the guy that started from the Jets. Geno really credited Phillip Rivers for mentoring him and honing his pre snap abilities. Geno when he was drafted was immature and not ready for the NFL. The guy we are seeing isn't the same Geno that appeared on the Jets.

Geno needed to be humbled and he needed to mature. He put in his work and was cited as being a huge asset as a backup in game planning/helping the starter prepare. Smith was humble and believed in himself and his abilities as he sat on the bench.

I'm loving this redemption arc.
I believe Geno has been ready to take the baton and run with it for a couple of years now, maybe even sooner, I also believe that what he really needed, was someone to show some trust & give him a chance to prove that he had the mental & physical tools to run with the big dogs, and I think that Pete Carroll & Shane Waldron were the perfect matchup for him, NOW, let's all hope that he rewards Pete & Co. for putting their trust in him by re-signing to a reasonable contract.
I'm of the mind that the Seahawks need to Draft another Quarterback to Mental-up, sit & learn behind Geno, and if Geno shows resilience & a marked improvement for the next few seasons, the Hawks can do what the Pats did with JG....That's a Win-Win.

balakoth

Reaction score
Rob Johnson. $25m/5years in 1998. There are many others.
Man posted one from 25 years ago.. says "Many others" but thats what you come up with? AHAHAHAH Please tell me you aren't a lawyer

OP
OP
LeveeBreak

LeveeBreak

Reaction score
Man posted one from 25 years ago.. says "Many others" but thats what you come up with? AHAHAHAH Please tell me you aren't a lawyer
Meh...why would the timeframe invalidate the point? Right...because it doesn't. Not sure if you were old enough to remember Rob Johnson...but he's a prototype for a QB that did little other than has a short streak of success and then got paid a bucket of cash. Are there others...Yep.

keasley45

Reaction score
Meh...why would the timeframe invalidate the point? Right...because it doesn't. Not sure if you were old enough to remember Rob Johnson...but he's a prototype for a QB that did little other than has a short streak of success and then got paid a bucket of cash. Are there others...Yep.
Rob Johnson never did anything remotely close to what Geno has done. Rob got accolades because he LOOKED like the all American qb. All he had to do was look like he could throw the ball a little bit and people fell over him. He was never more than a bad qb who on occassion, when all of the circumstances were right, played ok.

Jegpeg

Reaction score
The stand out example for me is more recent (I wasn't following the NFL 25 years ago).
Jimmy G received a record breaking contract after he had started just 7 games.
Jared Goff was considered to be holding back the Rams and was the weak point in their team yet we was still offered $33.5m PA (probably equivalent to about $38m now)
Slightly different example but the Browns gave Watson a record breaking contract dispite huge red flags (it ended up being 11 game suspension, but offenses like that often repeat so I could well see future long bans / prison sentences)
Someone will pay Geno at least $30m, it is even possible if we franchise tag him someone will cough up the picks.

OP
OP
LeveeBreak

LeveeBreak

Reaction score
Rob Johnson never did anything remotely close to what Geno has done. Rob got accolades because he LOOKED like the all American qb. All he had to do was look like he could throw the ball a little bit and people fell over him. He was never more than a bad qb who on occassion, when all of the circumstances were right, played ok.
Agreed...the nfl has paid players big contracts for far less than what Geno has done. I think there will be a market for Geno if the hawks don't re-sign him.

sutz

Reaction score
Agreed...the nfl has paid players big contracts for far less than what Geno has done. I think there will be a market for Geno if the hawks don't re-sign him.
Anybody who doesn't see this is not thinking realisitically. We may get a "home town discount" of a couple mill or so, but the market says he'll get north of $30 mill per. Possibly far north. 🤷‍♂️

keasley45

Reaction score
Anybody who doesn't see this is not thinking realisitically. We may get a "home town discount" of a couple mill or so, but the market says he'll get north of $30 mill per. Possibly far north. 🤷‍♂️
Yup. Far north, and it won't be overpaying when he's still balling 2 years from now and maxing out the potential of the teams Carrol will coach over his twilight years.

hawks85

Reaction score
So a qb who is in the MVP conversation and is literally the only reason we are competitive this year has no ground to stand on in negotiations and shouldn't expect to be recognized financially for the fact that he is the centerpiece of the team right now?

I wonder if it were a 3rd year qb that we'd drafted late who lit it up in his 3rd year and was in the MVP conversation, but was mediocre his first 2 years... whether we'd all still be talking about how that guy didn't have a right to demand anything.
Geno has been labled a complete bust up until this year...For now. He's been on 5 different teams and failed to win the starting role for all 5 teams. I wouldn't be willing to shell out 35 mil a year for 1 good season that's just me. As far as your point goes, mediocre is better than a complete bust. Mediocre tells me the kid is almost there and the 3rd year he put it all together and would have more leverage for negotiating. Geno is lucky to still be in the league right now.

hawks85

Reaction score
Sure. Get a guy who by the end of the season if he's still playing at a MVP level, let him go so you can roll the dice on a rookie... potentially wasting a talented roster on a player who has shown zero seasons of viability and could require years to perform at a level even approaching what Geno is doing now, and in the process, spend the last 3 years of PCs tenure here in a true 'rebuild' around a potentially less than ideal situation at QB.

How many other borderline MVP caliber qbs are out there that you'd bring in to replace Geno?

A bird in hand...
Drew Lock.

massari

Reaction score
Why aren't they using the franchise tag on him? Long term contract for a guy who's had one good season since he was drafted in 2013. Need to see more before giving him a long term deal. Franchise tag should be around $30M next season.