Max Unger and 1st for Jimmy Graham and 4th round pick

YYZHawksFan

Reaction score
After sleeping on this, I think Seattle did very well. Again, sad to see Unger go but this is a very good addition.

Ozzy

Reaction score
I loved Unger and what he brought to our organization but its much easier to find something 80% of what he brought than it is to bring in 80% of what Graham brings. Elite offensive weapons are rare and when you find yourself picking in the bottom of rounds its almost impossible without a little luck. 3 teams started a rookie center and another (us) played a significant portion of the season with a similar type player. Green Bay, New England and Seahawks. That should say something. If you can get a guy like Graham you just do it.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
One common thing I'm seeing is that loss of the 1st pick,how long has it been since we had one?I can't even remember
You can be sure if there is someone in that 1st round that the Hawks really want,we will trade picks of this year and/or next year to get it.It's not as it seems,we got so many picks this year I actually expect a trade of some picks for a higher one.It will be interesting to see how we draft this year,I don't think the suprises are over yet.

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
HawkMeat":z9dth7cl said:
Seahawk Sailor":z9dth7cl said:
This may be an indication why this trade went down as it did:

[tweet]https://twitter.com/DavisHsuSeattle/status/575554357678178305[/tweet]
Not surprised by that. I've read a great deal of draft pundits state 15-20 players with 1st round grades, but the draft is loaded with talent with 2nd and 3rd round grades. So a 4th round pick this year is equivalent to a 3rd or so.

I still hope they draft another WR and there will be some intriguing prospects in the 2nd and 3rd.

On "I'm Jimmy" I'm remaining cautiously excited. He is the red zone threat the Hawks need, and I hope he fits in well. The last 5 games last season he only had 1 TD I think and 200 plus yards. So that is what cooled my excitement

1) He was playing injured last year
2) It makes no sense to judge him on a 5 game stretch when he was injured. Do you really think he is all the sudden crappy?

Ozzy

Reaction score
It was probably already mentioned but Seattle only graded 15-16 guys as first round players. Looks like the players available at 31 were tiered pretty close to who you can get in the 2-4 rounds in their mind. With that in mind the trade makes even more sense from Pete/John's perspective.

dadof3

Reaction score
.NET: We need a big body target for Russ, someone who can go up and get the ball and is a good red zone target. Also, our o- line sucks.

Hawks: Ok, we went out and got a 6' 7" mismatch nightmare touchdown machine, who will also make our running game better because teams can't stack the box. We also didn't cripple our cap. Because it's the NFL and nothing is free we had to give up a piece of that crap o-line and we swapped our 1st for a 4th. The piece we gave up can't stay healthy and we'll probably address the line this offseason. We good?

.NET: We gave up Unger??? WAAAAAAAAHH, I don't like it.

Hawks: I give up

jake206

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/gbellseattle/status/575439984951365632[/tweet]

Wisconsinhawk28

Reaction score
First off, I absolutely LOVE this trade.

For TE's in the league you have Gronk at 1A and Grahm at 1B. Julius Thomas is the next best and he is about 2 nothes below those two. Then you have a group of guys who are solid producing TE's but never going to be world beaters.

On the C front you could argue Unger falls into top 10 C's in the league. There are some really good ones and some bad ones. Yes you can argue that we took a slight step back with Lewis or LJP but Lewis is young and still learninig and may become very serviceable.

What I am getting at here is that it is very hard to find a truly elite TE and when the opportunity presents itself to get one for a VERY good deal, you go for it especially when you really have no true go to guy. Unger was good for us but as we have seen over the years lately when he is out we get by. Yes we may give up a little in the run game because of this as it was pointed out that we had 50 fewer yards per game but think of how much better the passing game could be when Russ has to roll out due to pressure and he has Jimmy sitting in the flat.

And as far as the 1st round pick, if anyone on here says they would not take Jimmy with the 31st pick then they are crazy. I get that cap has something to do with it but JS has a far better understanding of what we can afford than any of us do. This team is elite right now and we have a fairly big window to go to multiple SB's and this trade just made that even more likely!!!

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
Another way of looking at this is where would Jimmy Graham be drafted this year if he were coming out of school?

I venture to say that he would be in the top 10, easily... maybe top 5.

And yes, he's already 28 y/o but he's NFL-proven... All Pro in 2013.

I love this trade.

Pete finally got his big receiver... and at only $9M/year.

HawkMeat

Reaction score
ImTheScientist":il3vgzgr said:
HawkMeat":il3vgzgr said:
Seahawk Sailor":il3vgzgr said:

Not surprised by that. I've read a great deal of draft pundits state 15-20 players with 1st round grades, but the draft is loaded with talent with 2nd and 3rd round grades. So a 4th round pick this year is equivalent to a 3rd or so.

I still hope they draft another WR and there will be some intriguing prospects in the 2nd and 3rd.

On "I'm Jimmy" I'm remaining cautiously excited. He is the red zone threat the Hawks need, and I hope he fits in well. The last 5 games last season he only had 1 TD I think and 200 plus yards. So that is what cooled my excitement

1) He was playing injured last year
2) It makes no sense to judge him on a 5 game stretch when he was injured. Do you really think he is all the sudden crappy?
I think you missed my opinion before the sentence you responded to. He "is" the red zone threat the Hawks need and no way did I suggest he crappy. By stating his last five games numbers is something you may have pulled from that? The dude is a boss, and i hope he fits in like one. I'm not familiar if he had a nagging injury all year or just partially, and how that impacted the season.

kidhawk

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/575668302279798784[/tweet]

If true, it's interesting that it's the Saints that wanted Unger (and likely some cap relief).

Laloosh

Reaction score
Largent80":piafs495 said:
Just a thought, I wonder if they would trade Irvin, and pick up Sheard........ :242735:

When I saw Irvin's tweet after the trade, I couldn't help but think "dude, careful what you say... you could be next".

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Seahawk Sailor":3l379qsi said:

Yet we still have to pay the draftee as a 1st rounder, much higher per year salary and bigger signing bonus...........thus why Pete and John aren't ever excited about keeping that pick.

Largent80

Reaction score
Laloosh":ldyw3h9j said:
Largent80":ldyw3h9j said:
Just a thought, I wonder if they would trade Irvin, and pick up Sheard........ :242735:

When I saw Irvin's tweet after the trade, I couldn't help but think "dude, careful what you say... you could be next".

Me too and that's why I posted that. Irvin is an FA after this year I believe. Bennett also had some words with Graham as well.

mistaowen

Reaction score
This is an awesome pick up for us. The Saints salary cap situation is awful and uncommon, meaning talents like Jimmy don't get traded often. He is the best 'receiving' TE in the NFL IMO (Gronk is the best overall). Those complaining about blocking, you do realize how well we ran this past season with some pretty poor blocking TE's right? We don't need a 6th offensive lineman like Zach Miller was anymore.

Defenses HAVE to respect him in any passing situation. With him lined up outside or in the slot, I doubt we see teams stacking 8 people every down. This gives Marshawn more room, the RO less defenders cheating down, and potential mismatches if teams decide to line up a LB on Jimmy. He gives Russell a huge, middle of the field target with great hands/positioning, something we've lacked consistently in since RW came here. Plus he is a nightmare in the red zone, which again, we haven't had outside of Marshawn. We actually have someone who more often than not can win jump balls.

Doug Baldwin should be extremely excited for this trade. Jimmy outside frees up room for him in the slot. Wouldn't be surprised to see him put up similar stats to his rookie year.

WendellWent

Reaction score
Laloosh":2ur25x92 said:
Largent80":2ur25x92 said:

What did he say?

Latest posts