Max Unger and 1st for Jimmy Graham and 4th round pick

Laloosh

Reaction score
lucky49":2causdc1 said:
just out of curiosity how many of you are now switching from thinking that graham is soft and overrated to thinking he's the best player ever
Great post. WebZone down again?

NJSeahawk

Reaction score
lucky49":fwuyrh88 said:
just out of curiosity how many of you are now switching from thinking that graham is soft and overrated to thinking he's the best player ever

nope, it's just Vernon Davis who is soft and overrated.

Hawks46

Reaction score
netskier":16zn4z3y said:
Hawks46, would that be Brandin Cooks? IIRC, he was a little, fast, super quick guy, about five nine. He will be great but does not create the same mismatches as Graham. Be nice to have both receivers.

Lol, I remembered who it was, edited my post, then read down to yours hehe. yea, Cooks is a different mismatch, but he still tilted the field as a rookie. Lightning fast (ran a 4.3 forty), quick and catches well in traffic. He was deadly on screens last year. Going to be an elite slot guy, and the WR position is deep this year. NO can go with one of the elite prospects (maybe Strong at their position) and then draft someone else at 31 or trade back.

It lessens the blow of losing Graham. I still think we got the better end of this deal.

Hawks46

Reaction score
lucky49":2hjnf8km said:

You'll find out how soft he is twice a year. Talk about sour grapes.

Laloosh

Reaction score
NJSeaHawk":kmu5rw65 said:
lucky49":kmu5rw65 said:

nope, it's just Vernon Davis who is soft and overrated.
Soft, you know, because...

Vernondavis

Hawkscanner

Reaction score
Danny Kelly's take on the potential impact Graham can have on this team is exactly what I voiced earlier ...

[tweet]https://twitter.com/FieldGulls/status/575553577248251905[/tweet]

... we all saw for ourselves in the Super Bowl the effects of giving Russell Wilson a tall receiver who can go up for the jump ball can have.

TwilightError

Reaction score
I'm Jimmy! Will Bruce Irvin kick his ball out of the field in practice?

BlueTalon

Reaction score
I think there will be zero long term effect from any on-field talk & antics from last year in this year's locker room. I'm not saying Jimmy Graham is a saint ( :roll: ) and I'm not predicting no problems whatsoever -- but if there are any problems, it will be because of players' immaturity this year, not because of anything that happened last year.

HawkAroundTheClock

Reaction score
I would like to see Graham lower a shoulder more often, rather than try to leap over so many defenders. Also, his stiff-arm could be more consistent.

That's my only criticism of his game and given everything he brings, it's unnecessarily nit-picky. Graham's a game-changer; within the games themselves and in regards to the Hawks' 2015 offense going forward. I'm P&J'd big time. Can't wait to see him in Action Green and College Navy.

As for locker room harmony, Steve Wyche compared this situation to when Dennis Rodman joined the Bulls. All those years of being a "Bad Boy" Piston made them bitter rivals, but when he added much-needed grittiness and physicality to the Bulls, they became a happy family. Happy enough to win 3 championships anyway. I like the comparison and I think Pete will do a good job of integrating Jimmy with his new team.

TwilightError

Reaction score
At least he has introduced himself already to his new team. "I'm Jimmy" *handshake*.

Blitzer88

Reaction score
Seahawk Sailor":w02lw1nr said:
This may be an indication why this trade went down as it did:

[tweet]https://twitter.com/DavisHsuSeattle/status/575554357678178305[/tweet]

Interesting..............

themunn

Reaction score
Zach Miller cap hit 2012-2014 (including 2014 restructure) = $22m
Jimmy Graham cap hit 2015-2017 = $27m

And the cap has increased by over $20m since the start of the 2012 season.

Slick

Reaction score
lucky49":1uhhwpok said:

I'll admit I never liked the guy. That can all change now.

SeatownJay

Reaction score
Guys, I think we're all missing a major component of this. Has anyone asked Jon Ryan how he feels now that he's not the most talented ginger on the team any more?

Largent80

Reaction score
lucky49":2xlhiaa0 said:

Hey look, a survivor of the titanic made it to a message board.

Silver Hawk

Reaction score
Let's at least address a couple of aspects of this that continue to receive comments:

1. Seattle gave up a first round pick for Graham. Seattle did not simply "give up a 1st round pick". What they did is move down from the 31st position to the 109th position.

2. Jimmy Graham being "soft". Does someone really have enough data points to support this? I certainly have not seen any widespread evidence or thought process about this. Are you all familiar with how Graham's mother placed him in a group home at age 11? How many people have had to grow up like that? Aside from that, what in the world is not to like about his on field production?? Haters gonna hate I guess. Give him a chance.

I think this has the potential to be a home run trade. We all know that TE was a weakness and that the Seahawks needed a receiving threat. Now - we have that!

I don't like seeing Unger go but if it was necessary for this trade to happen, all things considered, I think it will be worth it. The FO knows that they need to address the OL and they will do just that. They aren't going to send the ball boy in to handle center or guard.

Prior to this trade, during the run up to free agency, it was amazing to me that so many posters were hoping that Unger would get cut, in order to free up cap room to sign player x, y or z. Those of you in that camp can't have any problem with this trade.

I don't see how the Saints fans can possibly be he happy with the trade. The word that I have heard from actual Saints fans is that they are in meltdown mode. They improved 78 spots in the draft, got Unger (who has missed 36% of the games over the past two years) but gave up a guy who was responsible for 355 catches and 46 TDs over the past four years. That doesn't seem too awe inspiring to me. Advantage Seahawks.

One other thing, this is not like getting Jerry Rice at the end of his career. The Seahawks are getting a premier TE/WR in his prime.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Seahawk Sailor":1ogc5c67 said:

Yes, but did he have 63 players with a 1 and 2 grade?

volsunghawk

Reaction score
After reading through the thread, I've got a few observations...

1. Not sure about this characterization of Graham as a "problem child." Where does that come from? His franchise tag debate with the Saints? His goalpost dunking? Or his jawing with an opposing team during pregame? None of those strike me as any real indicator of the guy being a "problem." I guess the only concern is whether he and Irvin/Bennett can put any bad blood behind them. Maybe now that they're on the same team, they can find a way.

2. I think the concerns over how Graham is reacting to the trade are ridiculous. Seriously, we're going to parse how he feels based on a change on his Twitter page? I guess maybe if he had changed it to "Traded to the stupidest team in the NFL. God I hate this!", then it might be a bigger indicator. But I imagine that he isn't really focused on the social media thing. He just heard of the trade and is likely going to have a lot of planning to do to wrap up his affairs in the Saints building and then prepare to get to Seattle and meet the new organization.

HawkMeat

Reaction score
Seahawk Sailor":oawsqj61 said:

Not surprised by that. I've read a great deal of draft pundits state 15-20 players with 1st round grades, but the draft is loaded with talent with 2nd and 3rd round grades. So a 4th round pick this year is equivalent to a 3rd or so.

I still hope they draft another WR and there will be some intriguing prospects in the 2nd and 3rd.

On "I'm Jimmy" I'm remaining cautiously excited. He is the red zone threat the Hawks need, and I hope he fits in well. The last 5 games last season he only had 1 TD I think and 200 plus yards. So that is what cooled my excitement