Max Unger and 1st for Jimmy Graham and 4th round pick

Ozzy

Reaction score
Wilson and Graham on a bootleg is going through be poetry in motion. I'm honestly a little baffled people dont see this as a great trade. Time will tell I guess.

NFSeahawks

Reaction score
I wonder if Jimmy Graham himself even likes this move, from his twitter and obviously contract, it was probably a big surprise to hear the news.

Hawks46

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":13oxt0zk said:
Most likely, Ryan, yes. The OL will always be a first-contract turnstile on this team. But Unger, in my view, was the best part of that group of castoffs. Gimpy or not, nobody currently in Seattle's roster can replace Unger, and nobody in the draft is going to do so right away.

Look, I see the idea behind this trade...Seattle needed a big weapon, and Unger + 1st is just what you pay for a guy like Graham. There lingers the sense that Seattle has been winning NFC championships despite their passing offense, and there is the sense that the Seahawks were always going to have to cough up this kind of collateral for the weapon they needed. Plus, Unger is fragile. I get that.

But for me, this feels like robbing our rushing offense for the sake of our passing offense. We didn't lose the Super Bowl because we lacked a weapon like Graham, we lost the Super Bowl because Bevell did exactly what I described in my previous sentence. Which side of the offense has been more crucial to this team's identity? Give up Avril, McDaniel, Kearse, Willson, someone who's not irreplaceable. Not a scheme cog like Unger. That's how I'd have done it.

Then again, this IS touchdown machine Jimmy Graham we're talking about. And I was the guy who called Pete Carroll a chest-thumping baboon when he traded away Josh Wilson...

I get what you're saying. I really do. But what makes you think we can't pick up a good Center in the draft ? Teams do it in the mid rounds all the time, and we have a crap ton of mid round picks. We've used conversion projects and developmental guys at Center because we had Unger. With more motivation/need in the area, I'd say Pete and John could come up with better than what we had last year pretty easily. Even using a 3rd round pick on one of the better Center prospects, we still win this trade.

After watching how much time Brady had in the Superbowl after Avril went down, I'd hardly call him "not irreplaceable". It's much harder to find a quality edge rusher in the draft than a Center. So are you assuming we can't replace Unger in the draft easily, but we could easily replace Avril if we traded him ? I'd have to disagree if that's the case.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
theincrediblesok":2u7xbz25 said:
Jimmy Graham doesn't care about his shutout article (He had two shutout last year)

"For me, it's all about the W's. I don't care if it's zero catches, 10 catches or 20, as long as we win," insisted Graham"

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000437352/article/jimmy-graham-doesnt-care-about-his-shutout
So the same guy that said this is the guy that got all hiney hurt when the NFL banned dunking on goalposts after touchdowns?

Yeah, sounds like it is all about the W's.

NFSeahawks

Reaction score
Scottemojo":3e7h7fgr said:
theincrediblesok":3e7h7fgr said:
Jimmy Graham doesn't care about his shutout article (He had two shutout last year)

"For me, it's all about the W's. I don't care if it's zero catches, 10 catches or 20, as long as we win," insisted Graham"

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000437352/article/jimmy-graham-doesnt-care-about-his-shutout
So the same guy that said this is the guy that got all hiney hurt when the NFL banned dunking on goalposts after touchdowns?

Jimmy Graham is still soft as a baby's bottom, and I really hope Kam teaches him a thing or two about having thick skin.

Theres nothing worse than a whiney baby.

theincrediblesok

Reaction score
Scottemojo":3pgmgnwp said:
theincrediblesok":3pgmgnwp said:

He's done it for so many years and then the league finally said ok now it's a penalty. Sure it's not the same magnitude like the Sidney Rice ball spin or penalties for leading with the helmet if your an RB in an open field penalty that was meant for Marshawn. Heck even the LOB got their own penalty rule named after them.

2_0_6

Reaction score
even better news... Seems like a no brainer.

DAVIS HSU ‏@DavisHsuSeattle · 1m1 minute ago
If Seahawks convert Graham $5M roster bonus into signing bonus they could reduce cap hit by $3.33M this yr

HawkFan72

Reaction score
If Unger really was going to be cut anyway, we basically got Graham by trading down from the 1st round to the 4th round.

Hawks46

Reaction score
DJrmb":27c0jvh8 said:
Ranked as the 10th best player in the entire league by his peers (And the #1 TE). Meet your new Seahawks #1 Receiver Jimmy Graham:

[youtube]IZoNFSPpvas[/youtube]

Doesn't look too soft here. Runs through contact, doesn't go down easily, delivers a blow when he can, and gets right back up and gets in guys faces after a big hit.

Talks some smack, which is probably what set our defense off.

theincrediblesok

Reaction score
Soft or not I just want him to produce TD's. This will be a risk reward scenario for this year and see if it can work, if not then I'm all in for drafting and not bringing in any big name FA WR/TE for the foreseeable future.

LTH

Reaction score
I as well Look at this as two seperate trades... a 4th for unger and a first for Graham...Interesting trade... my first reaction was excited to get a player of Grahams caliber as he will help... and then I thought why would the saints trade a proven pro bowl player for an unproven draft pick at 32?

Unger for a 4th round pick makes since...especially the way Carroll and JS pick in the 4th round..

Just my thoughts...

LTH

Hawks46

Reaction score
DavidSeven":323brvmm said:
Man, this entire thing will come down to chemistry -- on the field and off. I neither hate nor love this deal right now. It's another swing for the fences that has some steep downside potential. At least the cap consequences won't be as dramatic as they were with Harvin, and the draft compensation isn't as bad. That being said, Graham is basically the prototype of the big body weapon we've been pounding the table for.

I don't love the fact that we surrendered a 1st yet again. It seems like we're routinely handing out high round picks while other teams are getting "name" players for 3rd/4th/5th/6th round picks. If Graham is truly worth a 1st to New Orleans, then they just wouldn't trade him.

I have to disagree with the last sentence. Payton drafted Colston in the 7th round. When you have a QB like Brees, you're confident you can draft a WR or two and Brees won't miss a beat. Plus Brandin Cooks from OSU is going to be even better this year.

NO has a ton of holes to fill. Their defense is still pretty bad and their OL is in pretty bad shape as well. They could use the extra draft picks. What could you do in this draft with 2 first round picks ? hell trade ours back and pick up even more picks. That can be more impactful than Graham.

NJSeahawk

Reaction score
Seahawk Sailor":1sarfrle said:
ImTheScientist":1sarfrle said:
Seahawk Sailor":1sarfrle said:
dumbrabbit":1sarfrle said:
ESPN thinks we get multiple draft picks, Jimmy Graham, AND Max Unger.

Now this trade I can get behind! The trade is growing on me, but I still don't like it. I think we gave up too much in return for what we needed.
Lol... How does that crow taste?

Crow? The man hasn't even been assigned a number here yet. Not sure how you think that's "eating crow". This trade, like I said, could be the next coming of Bobby Engram. Or it could be us stuck with an over-paid problem child while we watch some young superstar wide receiver who was drafted #31 overall set records for the Saints.

Or maybe you didn't read the quoted text and missed the tongue-in-cheek nature of my first sentence as it sailed past your head.
Giphy

netskier

Reaction score
Hawks46, would that be Brandin Cooks? IIRC, he was a little, fast, super quick guy, about five nine. He will be great but does not create the same mismatches as Graham. Be nice to have both receivers.

lucky49

Reaction score
just out of curiosity how many of you are now switching from thinking that graham is soft and overrated to thinking he's the best player ever

Bobblehead

Reaction score
austinslater25":2qks860t said:
Wilson and Graham on a bootleg is going through be poetry in motion. I'm honestly a little baffled people dont see this as a great trade. Time will tell I guess.

Basically it's Graham and a 4th for our 1st.

Max is easily replaceable.

Bobblehead

Reaction score
Hawks46":tw1fxkz9 said:
DJrmb":tw1fxkz9 said:
Ranked as the 10th best player in the entire league by his peers (And the #1 TE). Meet your new Seahawks #1 Receiver Jimmy Graham:

[youtube]IZoNFSPpvas[/youtube]

Doesn't look too soft here. Runs through contact, doesn't go down easily, delivers a blow when he can, and gets right back up and gets in guys faces after a big hit.

Talks some smack, which is probably what set our defense off.

He's only soft against the Hawks and, for now, thats a moot point.