Mariners OFF-season thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Glasgow Seahawk

Reaction score
dumbrabbit":30a0u3fv said:
People are worked up over young pitchers getting traded. Smith and Elias are still prospects in my opinion. With Iwakuma gone they needed a decent pitcher and Miley is one.

I must be the only one around that is fine with this trade. I mean what other decent quality starting pitchers could we get for Elias and Smith?

I'm not sure but would rather have traded Paxton than either of those two.

chris98251

Reaction score
It kind of appears that were in a mode to build a young field product that is going to take some lumps, I think that the draft and where we go there will be more telling. If we stock up on position versus pitchers or vice versa it will say something about all these moves we are seeing now.

dumbrabbit

Reaction score
Glasgow Seahawk":3q2zpyr0 said:
dumbrabbit":3q2zpyr0 said:
People are worked up over young pitchers getting traded. Smith and Elias are still prospects in my opinion. With Iwakuma gone they needed a decent pitcher and Miley is one.

I must be the only one around that is fine with this trade. I mean what other decent quality starting pitchers could we get for Elias and Smith?

Paxton is a front-end potential, capable starter on other teams. I just don't like SP for SP trades.

Elias and Smith are only like two years each into their MLB careers. Paxton has established himself. He would get a much larger haul.

Glasgow Seahawk

Reaction score
dumbrabbit":3ky09hhk said:
Glasgow Seahawk":3ky09hhk said:
dumbrabbit":3ky09hhk said:

Paxton is a front-end potential, capable starter on other teams. I just don't like SP for SP trades.

Elias and Smith are only like two years each into their MLB careers. Paxton has established himself. He would get a much larger haul.

He can't stay healthy though. What's the point having a SP that is out for large periods of time every season.

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
Paxton is a legit MLB pitcher. When healthy, he can be a legit #3 SP with potential to be a #2. Elias IMO is more of a project, I think at best he is a #4/5 SP. Losing Smith hurts, I liked him but he did struggle in the second half. Either way I don't like the trade. Wade Miley has been a gas can for the last two seasons. Not sure what the M's see in him. Seems like another JA Happ to me. You know what you are getting with him with little to no upside. Bringing in Miley has the same feeling as when the Hawks brought in Cary Williams.

This rotation could be one of the worst we've had in years....i hope I'm wrong though.

dumbrabbit

Reaction score
Glasgow Seahawk":2934c2nq said:
dumbrabbit":2934c2nq said:
Glasgow Seahawk":2934c2nq said:
dumbrabbit":2934c2nq said:

He can't stay healthy though. What's the point having a SP that is out for large periods of time every season.

Why would the Red Sox give up a durable Miley for an oft-injured player like Paxton then?

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Decent write up on the pros and cons of the trade...

http://www.lookoutlanding.com/2015/...nis-elias-and-carson-smith-for-wade-miley-and

Couple points to take away:

This trade is far from a steal for either side, with each team taking on a combination of risk/reward. Miley instantly becomes the Mariners 2nd best starting pitcher. he has averaged almost 200 IP, and accumulated over 10 fWAR over that time. In a market where Hisashi Iwakuma just got 45 million dollars at age 35 the 29 year old Miley is owed 15.5 million total through 2017, plus an option.

The biggest loss is Carson Smith, who was the brightest star of 2015's bullpen.

"The team is already rumored in other deals so expect rumors and deals to get pretty wild."

Glasgow Seahawk

Reaction score
I am kind of nervous about the state of the bull pen. Wasn't the bullpen for the Angels under Dipoto a big weakness as well minus Weaver and an overpaid CJ Wilson?

IndyHawk

Reaction score
I don't like the SP trade + we give up a young R pitcher..I hope Cliff Lee is coming back as FA,Hultzen returns to health,Paxton as well..I hope that new GM has a few good moves coming yet,not stupid ones either.

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
Uncle Si":e63jb7kz said:
Decent write up on the pros and cons of the trade...

http://www.lookoutlanding.com/2015/...nis-elias-and-carson-smith-for-wade-miley-and

Couple points to take away:

This trade is far from a steal for either side, with each team taking on a combination of risk/reward. Miley instantly becomes the Mariners 2nd best starting pitcher. he has averaged almost 200 IP, and accumulated over 10 fWAR over that time. In a market where Hisashi Iwakuma just got 45 million dollars at age 35 the 29 year old Miley is owed 15.5 million total through 2017, plus an option.

The biggest loss is Carson Smith, who was the brightest star of 2015's bullpen.

"The team is already rumored in other deals so expect rumors and deals to get pretty wild."

If Miley is our second best pitcher going into the season then this team won't win many games. He is more of a #4/#5 SP. Still plenty of time to make moves, but both the starting rotation and bullpen have major holes right now.

chris98251

Reaction score
I think were all going to have to look at things in a way that means were not going to win anything next year or the year after, this is full rebuild and re tooling and setting things up for moves down the road.

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
chris98251":zssha5ip said:
I think were all going to have to look at things in a way that means were not going to win anything next year or the year after, this is full rebuild and re tooling and setting things up for moves down the road.

And that's where the Mariners have an identity crisis. How can we rebuild when our 3 stars are not exactly young. Cruz, Felix and Cano aren't young studs. If they truly want to rebuild, then it might be time to ship.

I was always under the impression that this team should just go for it now while the big 3 still have some youth on their side.

chris98251

Reaction score
Hawk-Lock":8naz15bs said:
chris98251":8naz15bs said:

And that's where the Mariners have an identity crisis. How can we rebuild when our 3 stars are not exactly young. Cruz, Felix and Cano aren't young studs. If they truly want to rebuild, then it might be time to ship.

I was always under the impression that this team should just go for it now while the big 3 still have some youth on their side.

You ship when you have leverage, that's when a team has a injury and a need to go for a pennant, I expect that to happen this coming season to get prospects.

Atradees

Reaction score
Dipoto is getting dependable players to plug in around the core. Look at the stats. Guys will get on base and pitchers will be available to pitch at least.

Rob12

Reaction score
Didn't like the trade with Boston. Elias seems like a younger version of Miley. Maybe I am wrong there. Miley is durable, and logs a lot of innings. I don't care too much about Carson Smith. I mean yes, it sucks that we lost our best reliever, but relievers are volatile, and change heavily from year to year. But Smith looks like a guy that could be very good for years to come. We'll see. It might be alright.

Looks like the M's are closing in on Adam Lind. I wonder what the price is? DJ Peterson? I sure hope not.

Dipoto literally can't sit still. He has no problem emptying out our system, and I love that he goes after guys that simply get on base.

425HawkSpark

Reaction score
Rob12":2wn7azmg said:
Didn't like the trade with Boston. Elias seems like a younger version of Miley. Maybe I am wrong there. Miley is durable, and logs a lot of innings. I don't care too much about Carson Smith. I mean yes, it sucks that we lost our best reliever, but relievers are volatile, and change heavily from year to year. But Smith looks like a guy that could be very good for years to come. We'll see. It might be alright.

Looks like the M's are closing in on Adam Lind. I wonder what the price is? DJ Peterson? I sure hope not.

Dipoto literally can't sit still. He has no problem emptying out our system, and I love that he goes after guys that simply get on base.
I hear Zunino for Lind... I don't wanna give up DJ or mike. Rather get a FA Napoli.

dumbrabbit

Reaction score
425HawkSpark":379jerhd said:
Rob12":379jerhd said:

I hear Zunino for Lind... I don't wanna give up DJ or mike. Rather get a FA Napoli.

I would be happy giving up Peterson for Lind. 3B is pretty much locked up for the next several years, and Peterson has injury issues. I would rather Dipoto draft his own guys and use Jack Z's prospects as bait.

I do NOT want to give up Zunino. He is the M's future at catcher. I could be willing to move Jackson, but only for the right price.

Status
Not open for further replies.