Mariners 2022 Season

sutz

Reaction score
And ONE game under .500
12-3 in the last 15 games. Minus a lot of good players. I'm not a servais fan at all, but credit where it's due these last couple weeks.
And DiPoto as well for assembling this pitching staff. Lot of season to go, but you'd hope most of our bad luck is behind us. I hope we're buyers at the trade deadline. Handling a good NL team in their house is a pretty big deal.

Big test this weekend against Toronto. We'll see. Think they'll mess with the rotation with this day off? It is good to see the bullpen getting a rest day. We might need them this weekend.

Last edited:

beastalamode

Reaction score
If we are .500 at the deadline and arent upgrading the roster then dipoto should be canned. Trading away graveman at the deadline last year was inexcusable.

W

Welshers

If we are .500 at the deadline and arent upgrading the roster then dipoto should be canned. Trading away graveman at the deadline last year was inexcusable.
Yeah but you have to give the team credit for a giant turnaround this year. And they played great after the deadline last year as well. They have a chance at ending the drought this year. 3 games back is dooable.

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
In a weird way we are kind of adding two major bats without a trade when we get Haniger and Lewis back. But I do agree, we will need to make some upgrades, which I expect him to.

We could use another arm in the pen, possibly a Tyler Anderson type starter to give some rest to the younger arms like Kirby and Gilbert, also got to assume one of our starters will miss time with an injury.

The one position we do need to upgrade is 2B, unless people think Frazier can get it together. So far he hasn’t shown much, doubt that will change.

sutz

Reaction score
In a weird way we are kind of adding two major bats without a trade when we get Haniger and Lewis back. But I do agree, we will need to make some upgrades, which I expect him to.

We could use another arm in the pen, possibly a Tyler Anderson type starter to give some rest to the younger arms like Kirby and Gilbert, also got to assume one of our starters will miss time with an injury.

The one position we do need to upgrade is 2B, unless people think Frazier can get it together. So far he hasn’t shown much, doubt that will change.
Frazier always seemed like a stop-gap player anyway. Hopefully, there are teams out there willing to sell a better 2B to us. We may, however, need to make some hard choices from our farm system. I know there are some 'untouchables' but there are also some marketable assets, too. If we do make some moves, there will undoubtedly be some disgruntled fans.

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
I’m pretty excited, my hopes are high, hopefully they don’t come crashing down like they have in the past years.

I feel like if we can add a legit 2B and get Lewis and Haniger back, we should make the playoffs. We likely aren’t going to catch Houston, but I don’t see why we can’t chase the top wild card spot.

Ruminator

Reaction score
Posting this after M's third win in the four-game set vs. Blue Jays: Can't wait to see how the team does with Haniger and Lewis back, and I think one of the best things that could happen right now is if Santana's crushing homer means we can expect to see more.

If the Ms are thinking about bringing Kelenic back up in the next few weeks, and I have no idea if they are, that would have me nervous considering what we've seen from him before at the plate. Maybe he can benefit, mentally, from the M's resurgence.

Imagine splitting the series vs Yankees and Astros after the All Star break. Well, that's a total of 13 games, so a near-split. Our pitching could help make this happen, but our pitchers would need to be near perfect.

I think the Ms will be playing baseball in October this year.

sutz

Reaction score
Well, I hope we're buyers this year, we should be. Perhaps JK has some value as a trade chip? I know long term people think of him as "untouchable" but I think I'd rather hang onto Haniger and move Kelenic for a strong 2B who can hit above 250 with some pop. Hanny may get hurt, but we know his head is in the right place. Hell, with how JP is developing Marte could be on the block, too, no matter what DiPoto has said.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Well, I hope we're buyers this year, we should be. Perhaps JK has some value as a trade chip? I know long term people think of him as "untouchable" but I think I'd rather hang onto Haniger and move Kelenic for a strong 2B who can hit above 250 with some pop. Hanny may get hurt, but we know his head is in the right place. Hell, with how JP is developing Marte could be on the block, too, no matter what DiPoto has said.
I hope they get rid of Frazier soon. This guy is deadweight. Other than that everything else is going in the right direction for the M's. It all begins with pitching. The starting pitching has come around and collectively are doing their jobs well. The hitting is still pretty inconsistent. They'll score 8 runs one game then 2 the next but because the pitching and defense has been solid, they have been able to pull wins from these now. Earlier in the season they were losing these type of games - something like 2-0, 3-0, etc.

Couldn't Marte be switched to 2B? If JP is solid at SS and Marte is showing some value to keep, then why not move him to 2B. Is playing 2B that big of an adjustment? I'd rather see that than give another team a potential all-star player that has been developed through the Mariners system.

sutz

Reaction score
I hope they get rid of Frazier soon. This guy is deadweight. Other than that everything else is going in the right direction for the M's. It all begins with pitching. The starting pitching has come around and collectively are doing their jobs well. The hitting is still pretty inconsistent. They'll score 8 runs one game then 2 the next but because the pitching and defense has been solid, they have been able to pull wins from these now. Earlier in the season they were losing these type of games - something like 2-0, 3-0, etc.

Couldn't Marte be switched to 2B? If JP is solid at SS and Marte is showing some value to keep, then why not move him to 2B. Is playing 2B that big of an adjustment? I'd rather see that than give another team a potential all-star player that has been developed through the Mariners system.
Frazier isn't that bad, but he is basically JAG material. An upgrade should be eminently doable. Right now we have basically 4 utility guys - Toro, Moore, Haggerty, Frazier. I happen to like Moore. He's the one I'd keep. The others can be dealt.

The inconsistancy of the offense is also because we've faced some pretty good pitchers. ;)

As to Marte, if he hasn't been playing 2B in the minors, it doesn't look like that is their plan. Players will tend to fight position shifts like that that could mean less money long term. SS is more of a premium position.

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
There is a lot to like about this team, but the front office can’t get complacent. Other teams will upgrade at the trade deadline.

Agreed that we need to find and upgrade at second base for Frazier. He isn’t going to cut it on a playoff team. The only positive about Frazier is he can also play the OF.

Agreed we need probably another reliever and starting pitcher to take some innings off our current guys.

Ruminator

Reaction score
What the Ms are starting to feel like these days, offensively, is that while we have some players with higher BAs than others, we don't really have any dominant superstar batters like some teams have (though France and J-Rod are up there and maybe some day J-Rod will be a superstar). We have more of an even across-the-board threat in most of our line-up to get a hit. Most of our line-up. I think I'd rather have that than just one or two ball-smashing superstars with no one else on the roster able to support them at the plate on a consistent basis. That seems to be the conundrum facing the Angels these days.

Since the Ms also have good pitching and stellar fielding, this formula seems to work -- at least versus a lot of teams.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
What the Ms are starting to feel like these days, offensively, is that while we have some players with higher BAs than others, we don't really have any dominant superstar batters like some teams have (though France and J-Rod are up there and maybe some day J-Rod will be a superstar). We have more of an even across-the-board threat in most of our line-up to get a hit. Most of our line-up. I think I'd rather have that than just one or two ball-smashing superstars with no one else on the roster able to support them at the plate on a consistent basis. That seems to be the conundrum facing the Angels these days.

Since the Ms also have good pitching and stellar fielding, this formula seems to work -- at least versus a lot of teams.
Got better re-enforcements coming in K-Lew and Mitch if they can get health and stay healthy. Plus you got Kelenic who is ripping up AAA.

The bottom of the order currently is still extremely weak. Hopefully the better bats are on their way with the above mentioned pieces. Hope they can add another quality arm at the deadline.