Making a Statement -- Seahawk Style!

Hawkscanner

Reaction score
Though I was a bit off on the score, I predicted that the Seahawks would come out and look to make a statement today after last week's debacle against the Rams ... and boy did they ever!

I know some people out there are going to downplay the significance of today's win as far as the playoffs are concerned, but as for me, I believe today's victory was huge in many ways. Here are just a few off the top of my head ...

1) All week long, all the experts out there could talk about was how great this Arizona Cardinal team was ... and basically how Seahawks had no real shot of going in to Glendale and pulling out a victory. After all, this Cardinals team was the best team in the NFL right now -- that's all we heard. Not only did Seattle win -- they blew their doors off in convincing fashion in all phases of the game. The Seahawks sent a message to the rest of the NFL today -- "Hey, remember us? Yeah, we're the defending NFC Champions! Just thought we would remind you all that we're back and we're coming to get you!"

2) Say what you want about it, the psychological aspect of this game is HUGE. Belief in sports is big. As Yogi Berra once famously told us, 90% of sports is mental -- the rest is in your head. Now, I don't believe most of the players on this Seahawks team honestly questioned whether or not they could win tough games on the road in the playoffs. After all, they've been to the Super Bowl 2 times in a row. BUT -- I DO believe that it's quite possible that perhaps what today did was to plant just the tiniest seed of doubt in the minds of the Arizona Cardinals. If you doubt the Seahawks are in the heads of the Arizona Cardinals, ask yourself why the picture of Ringless (or whomever that Cardinals fan is) with Bruce Arians sporting the "Fck Seattle" jersey. The Seahawks came in to their house and whipped them thoroughly. Now it's possible today's win by the Hawks could have the exact opposite effect if we meet the Cardinals again in the NFC Championship game, as it could fire Arizona up. But maybe, just maybe that seed of doubt has been planted and watered just a bit today.

3) The Offensive Line really looked good today. I would need to go back and look at the tape again to confirm this, but to my eye it looked like Glowinski in particular did a great job of both run and pass blocking. Kudos to the Offensive Line today. It would good to see them be able to hold their own against a defensive line that Football Outsiders has ranked one of the best in the NFL in terms of stopping the run.

4) Speaking of which, Christine Michael had a great game today. To go over 100 yards against this defense -- that's a very good sign indeed if in case Marshawn Lynch doesn't make it back (or is less than his Beast Mode self) for the playoffs.

5) And last but certainly not least, Russell Wilson. I don't know what his exact time from snap to release was, but it looked like to me like the quick passing game was back. It looked to me like he learned his lesson from last week ... and man did it show in the numbers. By my count, Russell Wilson was 7 for 9 on 3rd down today (a 77.7% completion rate). He was on fire today, broke 3 long standing QB franchise records, and (I think) made a statement (though he had ZERO chance of winning it) that HE should be considered a serious MVP candidate.

Oh, and the best part of all besides whipping the "NFC West Champs" in their house 36-6 -- it didn't look like there were any apparent significant injuries. Next stop, the playoffs and one step closer to another trip to the Super Bowl!!

Bigpumpkin

Reaction score
Nice summary.
What I saw was a Seahawk team that was "loose". They played with self confidence....makes all the difference in the world.

OP
OP
Hawkscanner

Hawkscanner

Reaction score
Bigpumpkin":iej9bzwn said:
Nice summary.
What I saw was a Seahawk team that was "loose". They played with self confidence....makes all the difference in the world.

Absolutely. IMO they reminded everyone today that they are the best team in the NFC. The Hawks are once again the team that no one wants to face in the playoffs. That swagger was most definitely back today.

Anyone else as curious as I am to hear what the national talking heads are going to be saying after this game?

RussB

Reaction score
poopoo.0.0.gif

knewch

Reaction score
Hawkscanner":1gf1crwp said:
Anyone else as curious as I am to hear what the national talking heads are going to be saying after this game?

I think the guys during MIN/GB halftime show nailed it. Said that CAR was the best team in the league and that SEA was the most dangerous team in the league.

To me that implies that CAR has been more consistent but that SEA has a higher ceiling.