Lynch safety question

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":35q9x1t3 said:
Just because he had a monster free kick (punt) doesn't mean it's still not a horrible call. Zero reason to call a pass play from there. We can agree to disagree. That crap never works, yet it gets called.

I'm OK with passing out of the endzone. If it wasn't for the illegal motion call it looks like Coleman get's a big gain from the play fake the play prior to Wilson almost getting stripped.

The other team is geared up to stop the run, so a safe quick pass is OK with me, Britt just happened to whiff horribly on the block. He needs to do better, wasn't the playcalling.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Britt is definetely getting thrown to the fire. He's had some moments, and has looked like he is getting owned. Only way for him to learn is to keep him out there. I hope they continue to use Miller right next to him once in awhile to help out. Although Miller spends a lot of time on the side of Okung as well. Britt's block on the winning run was outstanding though.

And I do agree, IF they are gonna' do a pass from there, it needs to be something real quick. Not just from the pocket, especially w/how the pass blocking looked.

chris98251

Reaction score
Blame the penalty before that play, we had Coleman in the flat if I remember right wide open and I think Okung got a false start.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
chris98251":2tjp3wu8 said:
Blame the penalty before that play, we had Coleman in the flat if I remember right wide open and I think Okung got a false start.
He has an uncanny knack for that at bad moments, unfortunately...

renofox":2tjp3wu8 said:
The real question is: Why would a play be designed which relied upon a WR blocking DWare?
Haven't you learned your lesson watching the lambasting I've taken in the Bevell threads?

Do NOT question offensive play calls. Ever. :lol:

SalishHawkFan

Reaction score
Speaking of Turbin, it seems like it would have been better to go with him on that play. Two reasons. First, he barrels ahead for a yard or two before tripping and falling forward like he does and that's all we really needed. Second, everyone was keyed on Lynch, seeing Turbin back there they may have been more wary of us going to someone else.

NorCalHawk12

Reaction score
bhamhawk":2lgu1179 said:
How many times has Beast been tackled for a safety in his career? I can't think of another.
Me thinks the thread got hi-jacked.

Nobody answered, or even addressed the OP's question. (all I did was mention it.)

EDIT: I tried to look up some info on safeties but no one has info on who committed them, just who caused them.

AgentDib

Reaction score
The Okung false start happened immediately after the Ware sack and moved the ball back half a yard.

The Ware sack was on a pass play from the 8 yard line; a reasonable place to be passing from. The problem was that Britt was beaten very quickly around the edge and as a result Ware hit Wilson directly from behind when he had no idea he was under pressure.

Britt had a rough game trying to block some really good pass rushers, but it wasn't all bad. He had some great run blocks, including on the last play of the game where he created a huge hole for Lynch by driving a defensive linemen 5 yards to the side.

Blitzer88

Reaction score
renofox":skozhckk said:
The real question is: Why would a play be designed which relied upon a WR blocking DWare?

Bingo, terrible play call when you're on the yardline.

Recon_Hawk

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":g68lv4n9 said:
Just because he had a monster free kick (punt) doesn't mean it's still not a horrible call. Zero reason to call a pass play from there. We can agree to disagree. That crap never works, yet it gets called.

Not quite ;)

vs Chicago 2012: Play action pass, from the pocket. Beginning of a 97 yard drive ending in a TD.
2nd and 10 at SEA 3 R.Wilson pass short left to A.McCoy to SEA 14 for 11 yards.
http://scores.espn.go.com/nfl/playbypla ... 3&period=4

vs Houston 2013: Play action pass, from the pocket. Beginning of a 99 yard drive ending in a TD
2nd and 11 at SEA 1 R.Wilson pass short left to D.Coleman to SEA 5 for 4 yards.
http://scores.espn.go.com/nfl/playbypla ... 4&period=4
http://www.fieldgulls.com/football-brea ... -lynch-nfl

It's a gamble play, but if the defense is planning for a run, it's an easy 5 yards or better to the RB or TE and I'd bet, on average, gains more yards per completion than a run play.

olyfan63

Reaction score
renofox":1v70238r said:

Ding ding ding!! Winner, winner, chicken dinner!!

DWare tossed Kearse aside like a rag doll on his attempted block. Lynch might actually run for a first down if a bigger player is blocking DWare. Can't fault Lynch's read, but maybe have a real blocker like a bigger body TE in there.

If Lynch goes inside, it's probably no safety, Ware still tosses Kearse aside and catches Lynch, but gets dragged forward about 3 yards before Lynch goes down. For me, it's hard to disagree with Lynch's read; he saw a blocked defender, and cut where the space was, but Kearse needs to learn to hold or something on the big boys. I'm sure it's a lot easier to block cornerbacks that DWare.

olyfan63

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2sr0iudb said:
Zebulon Dak":2sr0iudb said:
Sgt. Largent":2sr0iudb said:
Zebulon Dak":2sr0iudb said:
I've watched the play 30 times. There's no way to know for sure what would have happened.

Yes there is, we know going straight would not have resulted in a safety.

I guess. Looks to me like Ware was gonna get his hands on Lynch regardless of which side of Kearse he ended up on. And 95 and the LB were right there either way. Maybe he gets the ball across the line and it's no safety but this notion that he had a guaranteed 3-4 yards is ridiculous.

When does Lynch not get 3-4 yards? Dude always busts his ass to grind out 1-2 extra yards. Ridiculous to think he wouldn't scratch out a couple yards and give us more room to punt.

Sarge nailed it. Lynch going forward is going to drag and push guys a couple yards, and the earliest he gets touched is about the 1. Lynch going sideways is prone to being tacked for a loss.

Still, can't fault Lynch's read on this. He simply wasn't factoring in the blocking mismatch on DWare. Lynch saw a blocked defender and went where he saw open space. Unfortunately, it was DWare there, on the attempted block by Kearse.

Recon_Hawk

Reaction score
Media: Hey Pete. Why'd you choose to throw it from your own endzone?
Pete: 60 percent of the time..........it works........every time

:lol:

mikeak

Reaction score
Seahawk Sailor":3sorxwql said:
SoulfishHawk":3sorxwql said:
3 running plays, more room for a massive punt from Ryan. Zero points given up, play D and dominate like you had been the first 3 plus quarters.

Sooo... the difference between your scenario and what actually happened is that we spotted them two points. Jon Ryan's free kick landed at the goal line and was returned 23 yards, to the 23 yard line.

You realize that in this case 2pts made it a "one-possesion (with 2pt conversion" game instead of a 2 possesion game

Zebulon Dak

Banned
Reaction score
mikeak":16zkyxst said:
Seahawk Sailor":16zkyxst said:
SoulfishHawk":16zkyxst said:
3 running plays, more room for a massive punt from Ryan. Zero points given up, play D and dominate like you had been the first 3 plus quarters.

Sooo... the difference between your scenario and what actually happened is that we spotted them two points. Jon Ryan's free kick landed at the goal line and was returned 23 yards, to the 23 yard line.

You realize that in this case 2pts made it a "one-possesion (with 2pt conversion" game instead of a 2 possesion game

It actually made it a 2 possession game as the score was 17-5 at the time. Your point still stands IMO, but it wasn't something that we shouldn't have been able to overcome. And we were able to overcome it so it all worked out. :mrgreen:

HawkWow

Reaction score
'Shawn should have taken advantage of that free safety advice Earl was doling out.

Hawk-A-Loogie

Reaction score
I remember after this play. Marshawn was on the sideline talking with Coleman like they weren't on the same page. I wonder if both were seeing something different?