Lou Pinella

Hawkinaz

Reaction score
Well, every time a player grounds into a double play, I yell "next time, just strike out" at them. A strikeout also guarantees at least three pitches will be added to the opponent's counter (we see a lot of first pitch disasters from this team).

So, what I think sucks about strikeouts isn't their situational impact, but, more what it says about the effectiveness of our batters' approach and preparation.
When a batter strikes out nothing positive can happen at least if you put the ball in play something positive can happen a good manager will know when to send runners one of the most exciting plays in baseball is a well executed hit and run and by having a base runners going it will cause a hole in the infield due to the infielder needing to cover 2nd base for the possible throw from the catcher. My point is instead of sitting on your hand’s waiting for a 3 run homer which may never happen manufacture runs. There is nothing as demoralizing to a pitcher as giving up a run that the ball never leaves the infield

jeremiah

Reaction score
First off I love Lou Pinella. He was the one who brought my favorite team to the playoffs for the 1st time ever. His fiery temper made me love him even more.

As I got older and I enjoy Scott Servais(Him and Lou are my Top Two Favorite Mariner Managers) I notice a lot of disdain for Servais. People who dislike him will dismiss stats to have a reason why they win despite him. When the Ms lose? It is all his fault.

Neither are perfect. One had the better roster and more hall of fame players. One does more with less factually. I enjoy and like both the same. I just don't believe both are treated equally by fans. I feel like the reason is a couple of points I would like to make.

1) Lou brought the Ms to the Playoffs for the 1st time ever.
2) This is the BIGGEST ONE for me. There was zero social media in the sense of reddit, twitter,etc.
3) We older fans look to the past as a time of fondness as well.(including myself. The double. Jr. Big Unit)

I believe Lou would be looked at much different nowdays. I think the negative people would be much larger and they would follow what blog writers, large twitter follpwers say. Lou would be scrutinized. I will pull a few examples.

"In the star-crossed history of baseball in Seattle, Piniella’s team’s four trips to the playoffs were the only four in the franchise’s history until 2022 but not getting even one pennant from the quality teams he skippered seems like a significant under-achievement."

"
Maybe he(Ayala) was a victim of Lou Piniella’s famous mishandling of the bullpen."
Mariners win 1 maybe 2 world series, if the FO doesn't play tic tac toe, when hardball is called for. They chased people out of town by being cheap, they refused to bring in a left handed bat with pop in the record setting season. That alone, was a simple ask, and the reason Lou left town. The owners are penny pinching idiots.

OP
OP
S

Shanegotyou11

Reaction score
Mariners win 1 maybe 2 world series, if the FO doesn't play tic tac toe, when hardball is called for. They chased people out of town by being cheap, they refused to bring in a left handed bat with pop in the record setting season. That alone, was a simple ask, and the reason Lou left town. The owners are penny pinching idiots.
Same could be said for now too then

ivotuk

Reaction score
Scott Servais was up for Manager of the Year, and many thought he should have won it.

He's doing amazing stuff with this team that was stripped down some, then rebuilt with players nobody seemed to like, and we lead the AL West.

Look at how Dom Canzone, and Josh Rojas have been playing.

When we returned to the playoffs, we took out Toronto, and took the eventual World Series winner (Houston) to the limit.

After that playoff series, one of the AssTrolls players said: "Seattle was playing unbelievable ball!" "I think that we were the only team that could have beaten them!"

Hawkinaz

Reaction score
Scott Servais was up for Manager of the Year, and many thought he should have won it.

He's doing amazing stuff with this team that was stripped down some, then rebuilt with players nobody seemed to like, and we lead the AL West.

When we returned to the playoffs, we took out Toronto, and took the eventual World Series winner (Houston) to the limit.

After that playoff series, one of the AssTrolls players said: "Seattle was playing unbelievable ball!" "I think that we were the only team that could have beaten them!"
The Mariners have an abysmal team batting average of .228 going into tonites game against the Yankees if this keeps up they won’t make the playoffs

OP
OP
S

Shanegotyou11

Reaction score
He’s one of the better managers, period,” Kurkjian said. “He’s got a great understanding of what he’s doing. He was a good player in his day (and) he’s great with people”

OP
OP
S

Shanegotyou11

Reaction score
I will go with analysts and votes over fans. Fans during Pinella's time cried over the same issues but Pinella had the better roster.

Bobblehead

Reaction score
So, Lou screwed up the bullpen per these blog writers and fans back in the day. Cubbie fans ripped him for blowing leads,etc.

It just was at a smaller social media time for fans. I think Lou would be looked at like Servais for fans nowdays.

I was rewatching Sportscenter Mariner Playoff Highlights from 95 and 2001 and they ripped on a Edgar Groundout lack of hustle. They said Lou with another questionable bullpen decision. They also said Lou Pinella's great defensive team in 01 crumbled in the playoffs.

And lets be honest, if this was nowdays Lou would not be this Golden Child for us all. People who are negative would have been saying "Lou choked, Lou lost us the playoffs, Lou had 4 hall of famers and zero WS appearances,etc"

I would have been defending Lou like I defend Servais. Lol. Players need to still execute. Do i think Lou had the better teams then Servais? Yes. Its why Servais is 2nd above expected wins since 2018. It is why the article said Lou underachieved here.

I really like them both. I just think with how many fans think they are coaches, players,etc now that Lou would not get the same love.

Thoughts?
I thought the M's crumbled the day after 2k1.. baseball just didn't matter at the time.

ivotuk

Reaction score
This team is setting records that go back 80+ years! Won 8 out of 9 series, tonight ended the 2nd longest stretch of not allowing an opposing pitcher to finish 7 innings.

Want to see a gritty team? Watch as this one grinds it out until the end, game after game, and wins a lot of them, doggedly getting stronger as the game goes on.

They've scored a lot of runs with 2 outs, over the last couple of years, and I don't think people realize just how tough minded a team has to be to accomplish that!

Then there's all the 1 run wins...

And we've been doing all of this without JP. He's probably going to take a few games to get back in form, but when he does, nobody will want to play the Mariners.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
I will go with analysts and votes over fans. Fans during Pinella's time cried over the same issues but Pinella had the better roster.
You have right to your opinion. And you know what, so do I.
Also, YOU are biased in favor of Servais. How is it any different? You think Lou is overrated; I think Servais is overrated. Not sure what the big deal is. But oh well. He actually does something in the playoffs, and I'll be glad to Crow up. It's not that important. Servais isn't in the same stratosphere as Lou Pinella. MY OPINION.

Threedee

Reaction score

I'm still annoyed that John Schneider lost Executive of the Year to Ryan Grigson. Not sure I would heap that sort of praise on Servais through 2023, but, perhaps this could be his year. Especially having to manage an offense that is all over the place and lacks a reliable power hitter in the three slot.

OP
OP
S

Shanegotyou11

Reaction score
You have right to your opinion. And you know what, so do I.
Also, YOU are biased in favor of Servais. How is it any different? You think Lou is overrated; I think Servais is overrated. Not sure what the big deal is. But oh well. He actually does something in the playoffs, and I'll be glad to Crow up. It's not that important. Servais isn't in the same stratosphere as Lou Pinella. MY OPINION.
No, but im not. They both are my favorite manager to ever manage a Mariners team. So, no nice try. They are equal to me. However, people look at Lou differently and fans back then did what ppl do on Servais.

And yes i agree. Lou had hall of fame players. He never got Seattle to the WS. Not even once. Not even when favored in 1997. Lost in ALDS. Geesh.

Scott got bagged on for losing to champion Houston when Houston was favored. I love both but ppl look fondly at the past.

Good talks tho!!

RiverDog

Reaction score
Sweet Lou was horrible at managing pitchers. I was watching an M's game once and Pinella brought in a reliver by the name of Bobby Ayala, who promptly walked the first two batters, the second on 4 straight pitches, and you could see the steam coming out of Pinella's ears. Lou made a trip to the mound for a very brief conversation, and you could read his lips: "Throw strikes, God dammit!", and went back to the dugout. On the next pitch, Ayala grooved a fastball down the middle and the hitter crushed it, hit it about 450 feet for a 3 run homer.

Pinella once went to the mound in the middle of an inning and his conversation with his pitcher went like this: "I've only got one question: Do you plan on getting anybody out this inning?"

Lou came from Billy Martin's coaching tree as he played for Martin for a number of years and likely picked up on some of Martin's ways. Martin once got into a bar room fight with one of his pitchers.

And both were hilarious to watch when they protested an umpire's call. Lou once picked up 2nd base and hurled it into the outfield. The next day during BP, Pinella came out of the dugout, and he saw Ken Griffey Jr. and Jay Buhner, tape measure in hand, taking turns throwing the base and measuring the distance.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
No, but im not. They both are my favorite manager to ever manage a Mariners team. So, no nice try. They are equal to me. However, people look at Lou differently and fans back then did what ppl do on Servais.

And yes i agree. Lou had hall of fame players. He never got Seattle to the WS. Not even once. Not even when favored in 1997. Lost in ALDS. Geesh.

Scott got bagged on for losing to champion Houston when Houston was favored. I love both but ppl look fondly at the past.

Good talks tho!!
People have a right to have their preference. You're taking this shit way too seriously. :ROFLMAO: It's sports. Some people like the manager, some don't. It's not some huge thing. I think Lou was better. Servais is clearly doing a hell of a job this year. Esp. with what he has to work with.

Threedee

Reaction score
Sweet Lou was horrible at managing pitchers. I was watching an M's game once and Pinella brought in a reliver by the name of Bobby Ayala, who promptly walked the first two batters, the second on 4 straight pitches, and you could see the steam coming out of Pinella's ears. Lou made a trip to the mound for a very brief conversation, and you could read his lips: "Throw strikes, God dammit!", and went back to the dugout. On the next pitch, Ayala grooved a fastball down the middle and the hitter crushed it, hit it about 450 feet for a 3 run homer.

Pinella once went to the mound in the middle of an inning and his conversation with his pitcher went like this: "I've only got one question: Do you plan on getting anybody out this inning?"

Lou came from Billy Martin's coaching tree as he played for Martin for a number of years and likely picked up on some of Martin's ways. Martin once got into a bar room fight with one of his pitchers.

And both were hilarious to watch when they protested an umpire's call. Lou once picked up 2nd base and hurled it into the outfield. The next day during BP, Pinella came out of the dugout, and he saw Ken Griffey Jr. and Jay Buhner, tape measure in hand, taking turns throwing the base and measuring the distance.
Ayala was an effective closer every other year. He was all over the place.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
If Management/Ownership would have actually TRIED to add when Lou was there, they probably make the WS. But, cheap as usual. And yes, you can say the same with Servais.

Latest posts