Lots of 3-4 last night

hawk79

Reaction score
It was interesting to see alot of the 3-4 scheme last night. I guess it was necessary because of D-line injuries but, could prove an interesting game planning tool especially when Irvin returns.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
I think what you're seeing is Pete and John's plan to run as many schemes and formations on defense as possible. That's why we drafted and signed all these so called "hybrid" players like Irvin, Avril, Bennett, etc. Guys who can play multiple positions in multiple formations.

The NFL is no longer a league where you can just line up the same formations down after down and stubbornly say "may the best man win" (on either side of the ball). So I fully expect to see all sorts of crazy ass formations now that we have the right personnel in place, especially on defense.

twisted_steel2

Reaction score
Who were the lineman when we were in the 3-4 look last night? Anybody track that? I assume it was Red, Mebane, and McDaniel right?

Oh wait, Mebane wasn't playing... Red, Siliga, McDaniel?

Edit, ahhh McDaniel was inactive too... whatever I cant keep track of the d-line anymore. :lol:

sutz

Reaction score
People focus entirely too much on the whole '3-4' v '4-3' concept. I don't believe any team in the league uses one or the other exclusively any more. Sgt Largent has it right. Our D will run many, many different looks this year.

pehawk

Reaction score
One of the great things about Pete, is he'll adapt schemes to fit personnel. If the injuries all stay the same, 3-4 may be the way to go, in week one.

If this was Holmgren, he'd still insist on a 4-3 and would be scooping up street free agents to fill roster spots. Pete? Meh, we'll just tweak the scheme and adjust to the talent available.

C-Dub

Reaction score
pehawk":aaj61rni said:
One of the great things about Pete, is he'll adapt schemes to fit personnel. If the injuries all stay the same, 3-4 may be the way to go, in week one.

If this was Holmgren, he'd still insist on a 4-3 and would be scooping up street free agents to fill roster spots. Pete? Meh, we'll just tweak the scheme and adjust to the talent available.
The reason I got frustrated at Holmy a lot. He was so damn stubborn in his ways. In fact, most coaches in the NFL are like that still. Not many are willing to deviate from "their" way.