KJ Wright: No To Jalen Carter, Yes To Anthony Richardson

GemCity

Reaction score
Man…Pete’s voice….his inflection really changed when talking about Richardson.

rjdriver

Reaction score
Man…Pete’s voice….his inflection really changed when talking about Richardson.

Ya, agree

Listen, I know there is a lot of posturing, gamesmanship, and smoke and mirrors leading up to the draft. That said, I can't see how how you can listen to that and still be so resolute (as many .netters are) that there is "NO CHANCE" we take a QB at 5.

I agree that certain stars have to align, but if they do, I think there is solid chance we go QB at 5 (Richardson more than likely).

Germanhawk7

Reaction score
I dont know when the interview is from but Pete's statement is very offensive.

I am not quite sure what he wants to achieve with it.

If they really want one of the 4 QB's the statement is actually bullshit because it clearly shows that at #5 at the latest the last good QB goes away.

I see this much more as a bluff that they want to put so much pressure on teams to trade for #3 and really QB's from 1-4 go and they get Anderson.

OP
OP
M

massari

Reaction score
I dont know when the interview is from but Pete's statement is very offensive.

I am not quite sure what he wants to achieve with it.

If they really want one of the 4 QB's the statement is actually bullshit because it clearly shows that at #5 at the latest the last good QB goes away.

I see this much more as a bluff that they want to put so much pressure on teams to trade for #3 and really QB's from 1-4 go and they get Anderson.

If all this really is a smokescreen, they really seem to be going all in on it.

A few cliffs from a slightly longer version of the interview:

NFL Net: Are you going to any more pro days other than the QBs?

PC: No, I'm heading to Gainesville (Florida Gators facility)

NFL Net: We've seen you evaluating all these QBs, what does this all mean? You just extended Geno.

PC: I told Geno we're doing it. Geno knows we're trying to win, this is how we compete

Last edited:

Recon_Hawk

Reaction score
The Seahawks don't have a franchise quarterback on the roster. I like Geno and he might be on the roster for another 3+ years, but his contract suggest it's just a one year deal. The chance to upgrade at the position for lesser money should not be ignored.

The rest of the league knows this, too. . Any competent team holding the 5th overall pick will be scouting QBs. There's no point hiding their interest.

Scout

Reaction score
Drafting a QB is a possibility with a first round pick because having a QB on the cheap for five years allows you even better cap space to build a team to compete.

The question is will it happen this year or next year?

DJrmb

Reaction score
I heard this on the radio from another draft analyst: You can work on a lot of things, but it's really hard to fix accuracy issues for QBs after entering the NFL. That's one trait you want them to already have coming out of college. That struck me.

They went on to say that no QB with a 53% accuracy rate coming out of college has ever been a franchise QB (in the modern era). I don't know how true that statement is or not. Also it's possible I guess that Richardson could be the first ever to do it too... However, I thought I'd bring it up here. Do any of you guys have an example of a guy that was sub 55% accuracy in college and ended up being a great NFL QB?

AgentDib

Reaction score
They went on to say that no QB with a 53% accuracy rate coming out of college has ever been a franchise QB (in the modern era). I don't know how true that statement is or not.
In my view historical data isn't that relevant for a league which has trends that rapidly evolve from season to season. QB coaching specifically has improved dramatically over the last few years.

There's been an enormous shift in the NFL from refined pocket passers to toolsy project QBs over the last 15 years. The top QBs from 2008 were all great pocket passers and so incoming QBs were put into that same mold. The developmental types rarely worked out, but they were square pegs being jammed into round holes on bad teams. Vick was a fun outlier but he seemed unique and no other teams really wanted to duplicate that when they were busy chasing Manning, Brady, Brees, Rivers, Ryan types.

At the same time, defenses kept building up their pass rush to get those pocket passing QBs off their spots, and the demand caused the best athletes to end up on the defensive line. Aaron Rodgers really started changing opinions in in 2009ish as an excellent pocket passer - who was also deceptively mobile and could extend plays and minimize the pass rush. Forward two seasons and Cam Newton was the #1 overall draft pick while Aaron Rodgers was winning the MVP.

There was an explosion of mobile QBs after that with RG3 and Russ going the following year and Kaep getting the job in SF. NFL coaching staffs were hiring guys who could implement systems around toolsy QBs. Lamar Jackson, Kyler Murray, Josh Allen, Patrick Mahomes, Jalen Hurts, Tua Tagovailoa, and Daniel Jones among others have offenses and systems built around them to take advantage of their skillsets. Coaching has come a long way and teams are succeeding with these developmental high upside prospects, which only makes other teams ask themselves why they can't do the same thing.

Mad Dog

Reaction score
AR looks like a crappier Lamar.
The difference is that Jackson won more and against better teams, even though he had a much worse team than AR had.
And Lamar isn't even worth the Ravens fighting to keep.
AR could suddenly become a good QB. But to get this this level at a power conference, start all year and be that unpolished - says a bit.
You are paying for a lot of potential drafting AR in the top of the 1st, but AR never even flashed the potential that Lamar did. And Lamar isn't enough.

Maybe AR works out for someone. But he doesn't look like a guy that will the reason his team regularly advances deep in the playoffs.

I'm not sure I agree that Lamar Jackson had a worse team than Richardson did.
Determining how good a college team is takes some significant degree of guesswork given the non uniformity of schedules, the larger rosters, the vagaries of competition, the quality of coaching.

But 9-4 would seem to me to be a better team than 6-6.

Richardson is an athletic stud and if all he is is a poor man's Lamar Jackson, he still could get you to a Super Bowl at the rookie price, provided you use those savings to build around him.

toffee

Reaction score
I watched two of Carter's games, Ohio State, and Tennessee. In both games, the coach was careful with Carter's snap counts, stamina issues? NFL season has 2 preseason, 17 regular, and hopefully some playoff games. How can Carter survive the late season games? On the other hand, Mazi Smith, a heavier dude, didn't have as much stamina issues.

Latest posts