Julian Love

getnasty

Reaction score
Thoughts so far? I'll be honest he has been the biggest disappointment to me. Doesn't mean he can't bounce back but I can't think of to many plays he's made. Maybe I just thought to much of him to begin but hopefully he figures it out.

bileever

Reaction score
Julian Love is ranked 70th and Quandre Diggs is ranked 73rd by PFF, so not great safety play so far, although PFF rankings for DBs are the most suspect since it doesn't know what coverage was called and what the assignment was for any given play.

It's only been one game, but Jamal Adams is ranked by PFF in the top 10 among safeties.

nwHawk

Reaction score
Well, Bucs fans think his is straight up trash. A lot of disappointed TB fans regarding Ryan Neal. So… the grass is not always… yada yada yada

bileever

Reaction score
How has Ryan Neal been for Tampa?
Ryan Neal has had a tough year, being graded as one of the worst safeties by PFF, with a grade of 47.0 and a coverage grade of 45.2, which puts him at 82nd among NFL safeties.

nwHawk

Reaction score
Yet, people acted like they let a HOF player go. Sometimes it's more about the system and fit. This isn't close to the first time someone struggled after leaving here. Pretty common actually.
Spot on. I hate it when teams underperform or flat out suck and when the purge happens, fan start panicking about getting rid of players. If you suck, start over!

Slick

Reaction score
Julian Love. The thing that stands out most positively speaking is his speed on the Spoon interception. He could have ran a circle around Spoon and Spoon is no slouch.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
It's early but he is seemingly not as talented as Adams, I am still waiting to see Love perform as advertised. There are reasons why the Giants decided not to renew his deal with them.

bileever

Reaction score
I'm not suggesting that Julian Love isn't playing well. Despite his PFF grade, I've liked what I've seen so far. He's third on the team with 41 tackles, behind only Wagner and Brooks. Maybe the OP can articulate his concerns? @getnasty?

bileever

Reaction score
It's early but he is seemingly not as talented as Adams, I am still waiting to see Love perform as advertised. There are reasons why the Giants decided not to renew his deal with them.
The Giants absolutely wanted him back. It was reported by the Athletic that Love took less money to sign with the Seahawks than what was offered by the Giants and other teams. I can't find the link to the Athletic story, but here is another source:

sutz

Reaction score

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Well, I stand corrected but think our young player Reed might have more talent than Love. If the Giants truly wanted Love back and he was considered important to their plans he'd have been re-signed.

sutz

Reaction score
I think the "Giants want him back" talk refers to the fans, not the team. If the team had wanted to keep him, they probably could have.

KinesProf

Reaction score
Eye test, completely subjective mind you, suggests he's been a noticeably solid contributor from the Giants game onward. Though it is so early and the sample size is so small. But he appears to be trending in the right direction.

bileever

Reaction score
Well, I stand corrected but think our young player Reed might have more talent than Love. If the Giants truly wanted Love back and he was considered important to their plans he'd have been re-signed.
You might be right. I don't know what the Giants were thinking, but one Giants fan I know said he didn't want him back. But that was when people were thinking that he was going to get $9 or 10 million per year. On the other hand, how's that Giants defense doing without Love this year? He's the only starter they've lost from last year, and the defense has gone from being decent to being not so good.

Love had a great year in 2022, with a 70.9 PFF coverage grade and he has a very low missed tackle rate. He was playing strong safety in New York, which may not be his best position. I think he came to Seattle because I think that maybe he will eventually replace Diggs as the free safety. Love played corner at Notre Dame so he has those coverage skills.

People love Jerrick Reed because he's tough and has high football IQ. I think the problem with Reed is that he's basically a strong safety because he doesn't have the coverage skills, but he has a free safety's body at 5' 9".

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Not clear what everyone is watching.
Yes, we are no longer 30th in the league as a secondary but we are still near the bottom with what look to be strong CBs (Woolen seems to be much less impactful this year however)

So far, Love is veering from average to basically sucking to back to average. One of my least favorite moves by the FO, and a guy I am the most disappointed with. He did fix the nightmare our safeties were, that saddled us with #30 slot last year but it ain't great.
I still count our safeties as one of our big weaknesses along with our LBs. Wasn't as terrible against the Giants, and reasonably serviceable against the Bengals - but I think Adams returning is a big part of us looking better vs the pass in the Bengals game.

nwHawk

Reaction score
Seems crazy, but what will you say if this defense ends up top 7 in the NFL this year?

Latest posts