Judging NFL Week 7 overreactions: Are the Seahawks the NFC West favorites?

ivotuk

Reaction score
The NFC West always seems to find a way to be interesting, doesn't it? The rivalries, the quarterbacks, the persistent ability to produce legitimate Super Bowl contenders ... there's always something going on in that division, and so far this year is no exception.
You remember the Seahawks, right? The team that traded away Russell Wilson for a bunch of picks and players, then staged a training camp QB competition between Smith and Drew Lock, while the whole world expected them to trade for Baker Mayfield or claim Jimmy Garoppolo once he got released (which he never did).

This was thought to be one of the worst teams in the league coming into the season -- a true contender for the No. 1 overall pick, which we all assumed they would use to draft their quarterback of the future.

FlyingGunHawk

Reaction score
According to the New York Times, the Seahawks only have an 18% percent chance to win the division. And a 30% (up from 23% after they beat the Chargers) chance of making the playoffs as a wildcard spot. Kind of an interesting metric that they use, But I don't agree with their assessment. Seems bonkers that a team that's leading the conference in scoring has such a poor chance. Especially with all the home games down the stretch.

Spohawks

Reaction score
The Giants game will tell us everything we need to know. If the Seahawks can compete against a high level team, it will show this weekend.

Hawkpower

Reaction score
I'm stoked about how they are playing, but favorites? Nah. Not yet at least.

Does seem odd to wrap your mind around, but when you stop and think about it, its not that crazy

The other three teams are talented and have been up and down, but I dont see any of the other teams as clearly playing better football and we are just about halfway through the season

One could make the case honestly

Jegpeg

Reaction score
I am fine with us not being favorites there is always a feeling that our defence could revert to what was like in the first 5 weeks and/or the 49er or rams will improve I am not a better but I think +500 is insane odds, I would have though +250 to 300 would be more like it. The card chances of the tile are slim but between the rest it is wide open.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
It’s only game 7, let’s wait a few weeks and see how things look then. Is this for real or just a mirage?

Hyperbole and overreaction seem to be the latest thinking, 4 weeks ago the sky was falling. It’s nice to think the team is clearly not as bad as anyone thought, but the games still need to be won and the other NFC-W team taken on before we know more or what the truth really is this season.