Jorge Polanco to Seattle

bileever

Reaction score
Wow, that is a great pickup! Polanco is better than Rojas or Urias. That leaves 3B as the weak link for 2024. Urias would likely be the weakest hitter among all AL thirdbasemen, if he is going to be the starter.

Even with the acquisitions of Mitch Garver, Luke Raley, Haniger and Polanco, are we still worse off power-wise than last year with the loss of Hernandez, Suarez, and Kelenic? Haniger, Garver and Polanco were all injured and missed a lot of last season, so one key will be whether or not they can stay healthy and get back to their productive selves.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Sounds like a decent deal. I'll wait to see how it plays out either way. I have real trust issues with this front office.

Crizilla

Reaction score
Polanco won't be playing every day. He'll be the main guy but won't be playing every day. Some knee injury history. This is a wait and see trade. I don't get why they traded a hitting prospect this farm needs as many hitters as possible.

beastalamode

Reaction score
Ok so now they have a shot a 2nd place in the division. Yaaaaaaaay. If they somehow made it out of the AL into the Series, they might win 1 game against the dodgers or braves.

bileever

Reaction score
I understand the negativity about the Mariners, given Dipoto's dumb comments after last season, but I think the off-season moves have been generally positive. The Polanco trade puts the Mariners' payroll at around $135 million, which is in the top half of MLB (but sadly still $100 million less than the Astros). They have gotten rid of a lot of strikeouts in favor of better contact hitters, but sacrificed power. I'm still bummed at the prospect of a Urias/Rojas platoon at 3B.