Jordyn Brooks...Pro Bowler??

Jerhawk

Reaction score
I've seen a lot of folks on here bashing Jordyn Brooks.

However, he's currently the top vote getter for NFC inside linebacker when it comes to the 2023 Pro Bowl. Astonishing!

FPD

Reaction score
I know he's been tearing it up for my fantasy football team! But seriously, I love the guy. I bought his jersey his rookie year. He will break Seahawk records if we can keep him here. And yes, I think he should be a pro bowler.

✌️😎

keasley45

Reaction score
He's a monster of a player.

There's a lot of justifiable disappointment when it comes to the results we've seen in a few games now by the D. Last week was an embarrassing loss, no doubt.

But when you look at the entire picture, even in a loss like the one against the Raiders, you can see the team is VERY close to being VERY GOOD on both sides of the ball. Some incredible play is unfortunately being obscured by a few bad mistakes - and mistakes that are coming at inopportune times, at various levels, especially on D.

For example, the run defense last week on all but 6 runs, gave up around 3 ypc, but lost the game giving up runs of 25, 30+, 80+, and 3 more around 10 yards or so each on those 6. And the failure on those 6 in each case was obvious an imminently fixable.
And lost in that are performances like Brooks', that are, but for a play or 2 per game, outstanding.

Just so happens those handful of bad plays are happening amidst and simultaneously in some cases with other, small errors and are unfortunately compounded.

The arrow for Brooks and the core of the defense is pointing way up. In years past, we were duct taping a team together around older pieces and misfit new, or borrowed parts. Now, we have something being built from the ground up, with a lot of really solid players who are still missing a few pieces and are early in the process of coming together.

GemCity

Reaction score
Linebackers work in tandem’s much like safety’s and corners. When you’re next to a good one, it can make you look better than you are (perhaps like being next to Bobby Wagner) or it can make you look worse (next to Barton).

If we grab a compliment to Brooks, I think we’re in for some outstanding LB play.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
He's a monster of a player.

There's a lot of justifiable disappointment when it comes to the results we've seen in a few games now by the D. Last week was an embarrassing loss, no doubt.

But when you look at the entire picture, even in a loss like the one against the Raiders, you can see the team is VERY close to being VERY GOOD on both sides of the ball. Some incredible play is unfortunately being obscured by a few bad mistakes - and mistakes that are coming at inopportune times, at various levels, especially on D.

For example, the run defense last week on all but 6 runs, gave up around 3 ypc, but lost the game giving up runs of 25, 30+, 80+, and 3 more around 10 yards or so each on those 6. And the failure on those 6 in each case was obvious an imminently fixable.
And lost in that are performances like Brooks', that are, but for a play or 2 per game, outstanding.

Just so happens those handful of bad plays are happening amidst and simultaneously in some cases with other, small errors and are unfortunately compounded.

The arrow for Brooks and the core of the defense is pointing way up. In years past, we were duct taping a team together around older pieces and misfit new, or borrowed parts. Now, we have something being built from the ground up, with a lot of really solid players who are still missing a few pieces and are early in the process of coming together.
The defense has a lot of good pieces to work with, for sure. That being said, Brooks has not been that great this season. His play has been all over the place with or without Barton on the field. I don't think he looks particularly special at his new position. He's not terrible, he just looks meh. He's not great at attacking and he has issues shedding blocks. He's certainly not Bobby Wagner in his prime.

Brooks isn't bad, nor is he a liability -- he's just been kind of underwhelming. He's not a huge playmaker at the position. Brooks is just a replaceable cog in the wheel with the potential to be great if he ever puts everything together.

To be completely fair, he's in a new system and new position. He's also responsible for a lot more now that Wagner is gone. I have faith that he'll be a force with the right circumstances around him and another year. He's certainly much better than Queen, whom many clamored for over Brooks.

keasley45

Reaction score
The defense has a lot of good pieces to work with, for sure. That being said, Brooks has not been that great this season. His play has been all over the place with or without Barton on the field. I don't think he looks particularly special at his new position. He's not terrible, he just looks meh. He's not great at attacking and he has issues shedding blocks. He's certainly not Bobby Wagner in his prime.

Brooks isn't bad, nor is he a liability -- he's just been kind of underwhelming. He's not a huge playmaker at the position. Brooks is just a replaceable cog in the wheel with the potential to be great if he ever puts everything together.

To be completely fair, he's in a new system and new position. He's also responsible for a lot more now that Wagner is gone. I have faith that he'll be a force with the right circumstances around him and another year. He's certainly much better than Queen, whom many clamored for over Brooks.

Really? I think he's a phenom playing in a system where he's making mistakes that make him look bad on occassion and with little support to bail him out.

He has been out of position when sharing middle duties in the 3-4 but it's soo hard to place the blame at his feet when the problems start up front right off the snap. For example, the walk off run last week - he looks beat, but there should have been two backers in that gap and the whole situation was made worse by the fact that our Dline got completely turned. Barton stayed wide. Woolen stayed outside of Barton, and Diggs and Jones were asleep at the wheel. Brooks took on the lead block. Should he have beaten it? Maybe. But in this defense, success relies on everyone doing their part and it should have been enough for Brooks to occupy that block and for Barton or Diggs to make the play in the hole or for maybe a 6 yard gain.

That's just one example, but I've seen him pop off the page making solid / explosive plays pretty often. Agreed, not as clean a sheet as when he has in his spot next to Bobby, but I think he's an incredible player Manning a spot in a defense that's a bit disconnected yet.

BASF

Reaction score
Linebackers are only as good as the defensive line allow them to be. Our defensive line has struggled due to lack of talent in some cases. Lack of chemistry in some cases. And a lot of poor choices by our Defensive Coordinator.

Brooks has played fairly well considering the circumstances. This upcoming draft will be massive in helping him reach his potential. The only problem with that is that Clint Hurtt will still be making defensive calls next season.

OP
OP
Jerhawk

Jerhawk

Reaction score
Linebackers are only as good as the defensive line allow them to be. Our defensive line has struggled due to lack of talent in some cases. Lack of chemistry in some cases. And a lot of poor choices by our Defensive Coordinator.

Brooks has played fairly well considering the circumstances. This upcoming draft will be massive in helping him reach his potential. The only problem with that is that Clint Hurtt will still be making defensive calls next season.
If Pete Carroll reads these forums and understands my take on Clint Hurtt, then he won't be calling defensive plays next year

Rat

Reaction score
He's the leader for NFC inside linebackers from fan voting.

It goes against what many here on .Net think of his play this year
It means that casual fans are only looking at his tackles statistics. I remember some unathletic white guy from Harvard racking up tackles for us too, but that didn't make him good.

Spohawks

Reaction score
It means that casual fans are only looking at his tackles statistics. I remember some unathletic white guy from Harvard racking up tackles for us too, but that didn't make him good.
Normally I am not a "stats mean everything" type of guy but I think for a LB stats do matter.

Sure, a few extra INTs and sacks would be nice but what do you really want from your LB? The answer is when the business comes to him, he takes care of business. So IMO, I think the number of tackles do matter.

RiverDog

Reaction score
This right here.

Tackles is one of the most deceiving stats in all of football. It's driven by opportunity. If your defense does its job and gets their opponent to go 3-and-out, there are fewer opportunities for tackles. It's dependent on time of possession.

They also don't differentiate between a tackle for a loss and a tackle 10 yards downfield after you blew your assignment.

As far as Brooks goes, I don't think he's chopped liver, yet I don't think he's deserving of a Pro Bowl selection. He's not an impact player that defenses have to account for.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Brooks is solid when the DLine protects him but when the opposing OLinemen get on him he struggles mightily to get off their blocks. He's often held as well, but the opposing Linemen are never usually called for the holding. He really needs help as his supporting cast a ILB are not getting the job done.

Last edited:

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
Brooks is solid when the DLine protects him but when the opposing OLinemn get on him he struggles mightily to get off their blocks. He often held as well but the opposing Linemen are never usually called for the holding. He real needs help as his supporting cast a ILB are not getting the job done.
The issue with Brooks is he's a guy that needs everything to go right to get things done. Top Billin' put out a video that said what I have suspected all along. Brooks doesn't know how to shed blocks. You get one hand on him and you can take him out of the play. He also doesn't know how to attack, he just kind of waits for his guy to come to him. Barton can shed blocks, but he consistently chooses the wrong gap. He plays overly aggressive and gets burnt.

Brooks is not a pro-bowler linebacker, i'm not even inclined to say that he's a particularly good linebacker right now. The more I key in on him the more I see that he's actually been part of the problem.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Oh I think he's a very good LB and he's made a lot of tackles this season. However, he does have his limitations which other teams are taking advantage of by running away from him .

DJrmb

Reaction score
Brooks is performing better in this defense than Bobby Wagner did last year. Brooks is a very talented linebacker and yes, a pro bowler. Dudes all over the field cleaning up after a lot of horrible D-line missed tackles. Wyman was on the radio just the other day stating how whenever he watches tape Brooks is always in the right spot and making the correct decision. He hardly ever makes mistakes. Problem is the guys in front of him are not doing their jobs so he's having to clean up their messes instead of being able to attack as much.

He had 10 tackles for loss just last year. You know how many times Bobby Wagner had 10 or more TFL's? Twice (2014 and 2017) in his entire career! Brooks is a good linebacker and anyone that can't see that isn't looking at the facts.

Last edited:

Latest posts