JJ McCarthy Just Declared for the Draft

12th_Bob

Reaction score
Funny thing the Seahawks have never drafted a 1st round QB that succeeded in their history to date, UDFA, trades, F.A. stop gap guys or later picks has been our history.
Neither did KC before Mahomes and that worked out pretty good.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
Now that we have the Michigan connection with HC Macdonald, have the odds just gone up that JJ is our QBOTF?
This has been something that I've been pondering as well. That Michigan connection is undeniably strong. In McCarthy's rookie season, Macdonald was the defensive coordinator for the Wolverines. He has first hand experience with McCarthy, it's likely he even coached against him in practice while McCarthy was running a scout team. This also would have given MacDonald a good view of McCarthy's character and work ethic.

Seattle has a clearer picture on who J.J McCarthy is than anyone that is not in San Diego right now.

Chukarhawk

Reaction score
will he be drafted in the 1st round? Maybe, is he a first round talent? No. I'd pick Nix over him all day.

12forlife

Reaction score
I'd take Nix over him as well. And y'all know what I think of the Quacks :ROFLMAO:
Opinions very and that is ok, you & Chukar need to explain why Nix is heads above JJ. Personally I like McCarthy's athleticism over Nix, think he is better off script/rollout passes, and is 2+ years younger? I'm not opposed to Nix, I just don't believe his ceiling is as high as McCarthy, while their floor is very similar.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
I don't need to explain anything. Bo Nix was a hell of a QB his entire time at Oregon. His record and stats say it all. They also relied on him a LOT when it counted. He seems like a good leader too. I don't honestly know a ton about McCarthy, other than I just FEEL like he's a bit overrated. It's an opinion. Not a fact.
Plus, I'm too busy trying to figure out why in the hell so many people are down on Penix after one bad game (for his entire team)

Yet after the Sugar Bowl there was talk of him going top 15, maybe top 10. One damn game and he drops to the 3rd round :rolleyes:

12forlife

Reaction score
No you don't have to explain anything. Just nice to hear people's thoughts to back their opinions?
As for Penix again if our coaches believe they can get out of Penix what he offered in college I'm not opposed to him being our QB. Dude has a great arm, and can make all the NFL throws. With Penix it all comes down to durability. I think that's where people have their doubts, it's not his arm talent. It's the fact he won't be able to escape pressure and protect himself in the NFL?

OP
OP
SeaWolv

SeaWolv

Reaction score
https://www.si.com/nfl/seahawks/new...draft-fit-joel-klatt-lamar-jackson-comparison

“I’m not saying in any way shape or form that J.J. is comparable to Lamar,” Klatt said on Seattle Sports' Brock and Salk. “But I will say that that (Macdonald) understands the importance of the quarterback’s ability to create between two and five first downs with his legs a game.

“Those are monumental because the defense can do everything right, which he’s uniquely aware, and then all of a sudden the quarterback makes you wrong. J.J. has that ability.”

Last edited:
OP
OP
SeaWolv

SeaWolv

Reaction score
More fuel for the fire on McCarthy:

https://fanduel.com/research/2024-nfl-draft-which-quarterback-is-statistically-superior

His 89.2 Total QBR was third in the nation, trailing only Daniels and Nix. Both of those guys are at least two years older than McCarthy, who just turned 21 in January.

McCarthy's Total QBR is more impressive than his AY/A (9.8) partly due to the schedule he faced. More than 63% of his pass attempts came against top-50 defenses by SP+, and the average opposing defensive rank was 38.8. Both were toughest of the six quarterbacks we're looking at today.

WarHawks

Reaction score
I've seen several mocks that have JJ being picked as high as #10 or #12 to the Raiders. If he has a great combine, he may be out of reach at 16. Will be interesting to see how it all shakes out.

Boycie

Reaction score
This is what really intrigues me about this guy. He has room to grow and develop because of his age compared to his peers at the same level. The more I read, the more I am liking this kid. All of this could be moot if he as a great combine though as he could be gone before we pick.

OP
OP
SeaWolv

SeaWolv

Reaction score
View attachment 65010
This is what really intrigues me about this guy. He has room to grow and develop because of his age compared to his peers at the same level. The more I read, the more I am liking this kid. All of this could be moot if he as a great combine though as he could be gone before we pick.
Here's hoping he has a good combine (not great) and is still there at 16.

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
This McCarthy thing went 9 pages wow.

I’ll be honest I have t seen enough Michigan tape other than the Natty against UW and Bama to properly assess McCarthy.

It’s crystal clear in the NFL you want a QB that can throw and also evade pressure/run when you need him to beat man coverage….

McCarthy ran well against UW when it mattered…that’s vastly important IMO.

In terms of his passing abilities, he may not be as polished a thrower as Penix, Bo Nix, Caleb or Jayden Daniels is but he may also get better…

I’m neither for nor against McCarthy so I’ll see how it all plays out…

If McCarthy is the pick at some point then he’ll be our guy and we’ll see what he can do…