JJ McCarthy Just Declared for the Draft

WarHawks

Reaction score
McCarthy doesn't have many unique or special traits. He has an average NFL arm at best. He's still very thin & needs to fill out. Now, he may develop into a good starter down the line, but it wouldn't happen overnight. He's most likely going to have to sit for a year or two. Unless he's forced to play right away, which could backfire on the team that drafts him. He’ll probably be drafted higher than he should. If you're expecting him to come in & light the world on fire, then your mistaken. He's a project.
Yes. No one is pretending otherwise. But unless we're willing to tank or trade the farm, I don't think we're going to get a potential top 3 qbotf (which is what JJ would likely be if he stayed in school) unless he's a long term project. He's likely to be the 4th qb chosen, so all this JJ talk is likely a moot point anyway.

bigcc

Reaction score
Because everything they said about Brady before he was drafted is what they are saying now about JJ, and they are both similar in stature, mindset, and arm talent at 21. Brady grew into the position. JJ could easily do the same.
People are touting him as the 4th qb and tophalf of 1st round pick , if not higher

Literally the opposite of brady

WarHawks

Reaction score
People are touting him as the 4th qb and tophalf of 1st round pick , if not higher

Literally the opposite of brady
Not with regards to arm strength, etc etc.

GemCity

Reaction score
You just don’t take the 4th or 5th rated guy at pick 16. You don’t.

That doesn’t mean one of those won’t turn into the next TB but if that’s your overall draft approach, get ready for some 4-13 seasons.

Always a gamble. No doubt about that.

I feel like we have way too many other holes to fill. Additionally, look at how many teams are in need of a QB. Who’s going to go all in? What’s it going to cost to make a move to grab a guy?

If we were stacked everywhere else, I’d make a move. But, I’d rather see a #1 guy in his position at 16 rather than a 4th or 5th ranked.

Chukarhawk

Reaction score
Well, the hawks have interviewed him officially.

DarkVictory23

Reaction score

That doesn’t mean one of those won’t turn into the next TB but if that’s your overall draft approach, get ready for some 4-13 seasons.

I feel like we have way too many other holes to fill. Additionally, look at how many teams are in need of a QB. Who’s going to go all in? What’s it going to cost to make a move to grab a guy?

If we were stacked everywhere else, I’d make a move. But, I’d rather see a #1 guy in his position at 16 rather than a 4th or 5th ranked.
I pretty much agree with this thought process, so that's my only 'knock' on JJ McCarthy (who I have not seen play) is that getting him at #16 basically is a bad draft move. Grab the best guy in his position, preferably a position of need, and then get cute later.

My only caveat here is that if Schneider and Macdonald really like McCarthy and don't believe he'll be available later, we are exactly the type of team where this guy works. Because he is only 21, he really needs to be able to sit behind a solid starter. Having just declared, yes, Geno is going to be here for sure next year, there is no pressure to make McCarthy start Week 1. We can be patient with him.

So, I wouldn't hate this choice, because I would trust that Schneider and Macdonald have a solid idea of what they're doing, but I'd lean towards what you said above as my preferred draft strategy.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
That's a pretty generous way of framing 10/18 140, and 4/31 rushing

Glosses over the 271 other rushing yards but to each their own.

I feel I'd be remiss without mentioning that's his year.

He threw for 225 yards for 4 of 15 games last year

Purdue: 4-8
Michigan state: 4-8
East Carolina: 2-10
Unlv: 9-5!.... In the mwc

I'm willing to hear out someone defend his numbers with anything but "he didn't have to throw!", because that's fine but wtf are you people watching to get excited about this guy?

If by comparing him to brady you mean a 6th round pick I apologize
Someone get this person a tissue.........
Absolutely clueless. Thanks for the laughs and proving you know little to NOTHING about football.

12forlife

Reaction score
Absolutely clueless. Thanks for the laughs and proving you know little to NOTHING

Absolutely clueless. Thanks for the laughs and proving you know little to NOTHING about football.
Preach brother! This site is exhausting @ times. We have people on here admitting they have never watched the kid play, but find it necessary to tear the kid down, for some unknown reason like their daddy didn't huge them enough lol.
It's all good all of us that like JJ have watched actual games and heard the kid speak, and believe he has the "POTENTIAL" to be a 10 QB in the NFL. I will say he needs to sit a year. Plus I see it as us getting a steal, I believe if JJ went back to Michigan he would be a top 3 draft pick in '25, and the #1 QB.

GemCity

Reaction score
I pretty much agree with this thought process, so that's my only 'knock' on JJ McCarthy (who I have not seen play) is that getting him at #16 basically is a bad draft move. Grab the best guy in his position, preferably a position of need, and then get cute later.

My only caveat here is that if Schneider and Macdonald really like McCarthy and don't believe he'll be available later, we are exactly the type of team where this guy works. Because he is only 21, he really needs to be able to sit behind a solid starter. Having just declared, yes, Geno is going to be here for sure next year, there is no pressure to make McCarthy start Week 1. We can be patient with him.

So, I wouldn't hate this choice, because I would trust that Schneider and Macdonald have a solid idea of what they're doing, but I'd lean towards what you said above as my preferred draft strategy.
Well said. If JS and MM take him at 16, I have faith that he’ll be a helluva NFL QB at some point.

getnasty

Reaction score

If you took that logic to this draft your most likely picking a OG, or DT. Not sure there's a clear cut number 1 at either position and certainly nobody looking like an Aaron Donald/Chris Jones type talent.

If McCrathy came out next year at the age of 22 he'd be a top 5 pick. If he's there at 16 you pick him, let him learn under Geno for a year. Use cap space to build the treches in 2025 and let JJ play the Russell Wilson circa 2012.

I don't think he gets out of the top 10 though.

EverydayImRusselin

Reaction score
If you took that logic to this draft your most likely picking a OG, or DT. Not sure there's a clear cut number 1 at either position and certainly nobody looking like an Aaron Donald/Chris Jones type talent.

If McCrathy came out next year at the age of 22 he'd be a top 5 pick. If he's there at 16 you pick him, let him learn under Geno for a year. Use cap space to build the treches in 2025 and let JJ play the Russell Wilson circa 2012.

I don't think he gets out of the top 10 though.
Donald and Jones didn't look like Donald and Jones either, hence them getting drafted 13th and 37th overall.

I would prefer they pick someone other than JJ, but I will defer to their team building intentions.

WarHawks

Reaction score
If we were stacked everywhere else, I’d make a move. But, I’d rather see a #1 guy in his position at 16 rather than a 4th or 5th raranked.
We're never going to be stacked everywhere. That's a logical fallacy. There are always holes and needs every year. Always. If you wait until everything is perfect to draft a qbotf, you'll never draft one. If you're only speaking of taking a 4-5 at 16 however, that is a fair point, although I would argue as the poster above did that JJ would likely be a #1 pick in a year or two if he stayed in school. There is no way to eliminate risk.

Last edited:

CPHawk

Reaction score
Lots of slobbering over JJ by Michigan fan boys on NFL network. But they ignored all his bad passes.

QWERTY

Reaction score
The thing about JJ, is the fact that he's so small and weak.

If he gets sacked by some DL 2x he would be out for the remainder of the season.

You would want someone 225-230 LBS. The kid was like 200's in Michigan, and now I'm hearing he added weight, he's not used to this. Should had stayed in College 1 more season.

SonicHawk

Reaction score
After watching the combine I don't have a change in position but homies got a big boy arm. I watched Nix right after and it was like watching me throw out there comparatively.

JJ out here ready to be Drew Lock 2.0.

GemCity

Reaction score
After watching the combine I don't have a change in position but homies got a big boy arm. I watched Nix right after and it was like watching me throw out there comparatively.

JJ out here ready to be Drew Lock 2.0.
Just watched…I do love this kids arm.

If they grab him at 16, I’m all in.

Not my preference but, his completion percentage, decision making, leadership…

I’m definitely not throwing shit at my T.V. like “someone” I know did when we picked Collier.

SonicHawk

Reaction score
If they draft him then i’ll be like… ok, see what the hell happens