JJ McCarthy Just Declared for the Draft

12forlife

Reaction score
Looked like garbage?? McCarthy: 17/27 for 221 yards 3 TD and 0 INT against a good Alabama defense. Milroe: 16/23 for 116 yards 0 TD 0 INT.
He wasn't tested and didn't have to carry the team because they didn't need him to win games with their rushing attack doing all that damage. Is that McCarthy's fault??
NCG McCarthy went 10/18 for 140 yards 0 TD and 0 INT. Granted not impressive but it didn't need to be when Michigan sets an NCG record with 303 rushing yards. Washington's secondary was good it's their run defense that wasn't.

McCarthy hasn't been given the opportunity to show what he can do yet because Michigan didn't need him to. If you've been watching, he has shown glimpses of it throughout the year. I suspect that everyone will have their eyes opened in April.
EXACTLY!!! JJ did everything that was asked of him. When given the opportunity I think he great touch & ball placement. Is he a Lock to be the next Mahomes?? Wishful thinking, but he has all the tools including confidence & leadership to become a top 5-10 in the league. I also believe it benefits JJ to sit for the year to better prepare for NFL Defensive schemes, and the speed of the game.

WarHawks

Reaction score
In the Bama game JJ looked like garbage.
My actual comment in the game thread was that JJ 'looked like a blind Trent Dilfer with a broken arm'. THAT is your example of one of his good games>?

He wasn't tested all year. His defense kept him out of pressure and his RB made it impossible for defenses to do much more than focus on the run. Of COURSE he completed some passes. So would Rick Mirer. What is your point?

He rarely, if ever, had to carry the team.

Then sure, Michigan beat UW in the National Championship game. But he struggled to move the ball or score for drive after drive against a UW defense that let everyone walk up the field and score against us

EXACTLY!!! JJ did everything that was asked of him. When given the opportunity I think he great touch & ball placement. Is he a Lock to be the next Mahomes?? Wishful thinking, but he has all the tools including confidence & leadership to become a top 5-10 in the league. I also believe it benefits JJ to sit for the year to better prepare for NFL Defensive schemes, and the speed of the game.
Good post. Given where we're drafting, it's probably unrealistic to expect to draft a qbotf who can start right away. Having one sit for a year or two isn't the worst thing as long as it pans out in the end.

12forlife

Reaction score
Draft him and trade him for Herbert.
Not sure if your kidding or not, but Harbaugh does have a Hard on for JJ. IF Jim ends up SD HC, and has any personnel pull that could realistically happen!

CPHawk

Reaction score
Not sure if you’re kidding or not, but Harbaugh does have a Hard on for JJ. IF Jim ends up SD HC, and has any personnel pull that could realistically happen!
Reports say he took the job. That said, he has been interviewed in the last few months, and couldn’t stop talking about how good he thinks Herbert is. And that was unsolicited. Doubt he wants JJ over Herbs. They should take Bowers at 5

12forlife

Reaction score
Exactly! JJ would be on the cheap for 4-5 yrs. We take JJ @ #16 trade for Herbert. SD gets JJ, and Bowers @ 5. Jim LOVES JJ, on record of saying he is the best QB in Michigan history.

Liquid99

Reaction score
I can't believe people want to take a QB. Geno is serviceable for next year with a decent backup. Unless JJ can stop almost every team from running 200/ypg against us, he's a HARD pass. I'd like to see our 1st & 2 3rd's spent on 2 run stopping DL & a ball hawk safety.

12forlife

Reaction score
I can't believe people want to take a QB. Geno is serviceable for next year with a decent backup. Unless JJ can stop almost every team from running 200/ypg against us, he's a HARD pass. I'd like to see our 1st & 2 3rd's spent on 2 run stopping DL & a ball hawk safety.
Because a QB is the most important position in all of sports. So if you feel your QBOTF is available you take him!! Yes this team has holes on both sides in the trenches, ILB, Satety, and TE. I'm a firm believer in building through the draft, but all those other positions can also be available in FA. Your NEVER going to get a Top 10 QB in free agency. If say Penix or McCarthy are there @ #16, and they pass and go Newton, DeJean or OT I'm ok with that. But if the QB you believe in is there you pull the trigger. Penix & JJ would benefit sitting a year.

CPHawk

Reaction score
Best in history? Um..........Tom Brady would like a word.
Brady didn’t do much at UM though. But he’s basically the only UM QB to be a good NFL QB. Harbaugh was ok, but it took him like 10 years to be decent

Rat

Reaction score
I think some of you are underselling how much it would cost to get Herbert in a trade. At the very least, say goodbye to having a first round pick in the next three years.

12forlife

Reaction score
I think some of you are underselling how much it would cost to get Herbert in a trade. At the very least, say goodbye to having a first round pick in the next three years.
Just interested, why does everyone hold Herbert on such a high pedestal? What has he done to this point? Does he even have a playoff win?? I do believe Harbaugh will get the max out of him, but as of today, 3 1st rd picks is steep when you can roll the dice with Fields for a 2nd rd pick.

WarHawks

Reaction score
I can't believe people want to take a QB. Geno is serviceable for next year with a decent backup.
Any good rookie can equal or exceed Geno's middling level of play, cheaper and with a much higher ceiling. Geno is nothing more than a placeholder. If the new coach wants to keep him around for a year, I get it, but they need to draft a qb. Geno is not the future.

chris98251

Reaction score
Any good rookie can equal or exceed Geno's middling level of play, cheaper and with a much higher ceiling. Geno is nothing more than a placeholder. If the new coach wants to keep him around for a year, I get it, but they need to draft a qb. Geno is not the future.
So little experience seeing QB play it appears, McGwire, Gelbaugh, Stouffer, Mirer, we could also look at the list of QB's that Cleveland has put out since Kosar left for that any moniker. Be careful what you wish for.

WarHawks

Reaction score
So little experience seeing QB play it appears, McGwire, Gelbaugh, Stouffer, Mirer, we could also look at the list of QB's that Cleveland has put out since Kosar left for that any moniker. Be careful what you wish for.
I've been a Hawks fan since the 80's, so yeah, I've seen them all. I'd much rather suck with a rookie for a year or two with a chance at getting really good in a few years than be stuck in purgatory forever.

chris98251

Reaction score
I've been a Hawks fan since the 80's, so yeah, I've seen them all. I'd much rather suck with a rookie for a year or two with a chance at getting really good in a few years than be stuck in purgatory forever.
Funny thing the Seahawks have never drafted a 1st round QB that succeeded in their history to date, UDFA, trades, F.A. stop gap guys or later picks has been our history.

CPHawk

Reaction score
I was being very sarcastic. I’d bet a lot of money the chargers and Harbaugh have zero interest in trading Herbert

12forlife

Reaction score
I don't think he'll ever do anything in the NFL. But even if I'm wrong, why would you spend a 1st rounder on a QB who most teams will tag as a 3rd or 4th rounder?
The NFl talking heads, not giving names I've heard it from multiple nfl analyst that JJ is between 1st to top of the 2nd rd? It's only the people on hear that hate Michigan/Harbaugh that thinks JJ is a not talent suck feat of a QB? SeaWolv said it best with all the facts to back it? JJ has everything your looking for in a QB that you pick every QB apart, he'll even Brady & Mahomes have off games. JJ is the epiphany of consistency, accurate, proven winner, 27-1 college record, knows how to lead a team, teammates love him, great even head, mobile and great arm strength. Just like every single person on here with an opinion that's mine and what I want in a QB! Explain to me why you feel he is dog water? Stop with he didn't put up the Gaudly #'s your looking for, he just was never asked to "carry" the team, but he in flashes shows he can when needed. I see his ceiling top 10, and floor being a backup.