Jimmy G only TE in NFL history w/10+ TD season w/2 teams

Missing_Clink

Reaction score
scrummymustard":r4eoh3gp said:
I don't get our offensive staff. Last year they used him between the 20s, barely in the red zone.

This year, used in red zone, barely between the 20s.

Honestly though, if you were Graham, would you come back here? This offense is so Jekyll and Hyde.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep. That’s why I’m not going to get excited because I am almost certain he will want to leave for an offense that can actually utilize him every week. He’s gone.

Jville

Reaction score
Curators of Blame have virtually no hope of comprehending what unfolds in front of their own eyes. It's a self ensnaring trap.

If there is ever a collection of high profile case studies as to how and why personnel usage varies from season to season and game to game, then Jimmy Graham would certainly be included in that collection.

A carefully orchestrated comeback necessitates support from team mates, staff and the demands of week to week game plans. Every week demands a weekly reassessment. Not only was there the task of working Jimmy back into the offense, there are also the week to week health limitations to factor in. In addition to the task of rehabbing from a serious knee injury, Jimmy suffered an ankle injury in week eight and dealt with playing thru that as well as a follow up nagging knee problem that has persisted since week nine.

Health and injuries do affect what a player can and can not do. It also affects how an offense and the weekly game plan can utilize him. It affects player execution and demands weekly adjustments. The results are there to be seen by observant fans. It's there on game day. It is available for replay. But, I do acknowledge it may be too challenging for lazy fans to follow and consider and for busy fans pressed for time to go back and review. In any case, lazy blame games require so little thought they become an all consuming trap for both individuals and the community.

Clarification: My post is not intended to call out any poster. It is just an observation on what a high price blame games generate. It remains an individual to individual choice as to how much effort is invested in understanding what unfolds in front of each of our eyes and ears. :229031_shrug: ..... carry on.

scrummymustard

Reaction score
Jville":35kfmiug said:
Curators of Blame have virtually no hope of comprehending what unfolds in front of their own eyes. It's a self ensnaring trap.

If there is ever a collection of high profile case studies as to how and why personnel usage varies from season to season and game to game, then Jimmy Graham would certainly be included in that collection.

A carefully orchestrated comeback necessitates support from team mates, staff and the demands of week to week game plans. Every week demands a weekly reassessment. Not only was there the task of working Jimmy back into the offense, there are also the week to week health limitations to factor in. In addition to the task of rehabbing from a serious knee injury, Jimmy suffered an ankle injury in week eight and dealt with playing thru that as well as a follow up nagging knee problem that has persisted since week nine.

Health and injuries do affect what a player can and can not do. It also affects how an offense and the weekly game plan can utilize him. It affects player execution and demands weekly adjustments. The results are there to be seen by observant fans. It's there on game day. It is available for replay. But, I do acknowledge it may be too challenging for lazy fans to follow and consider and for busy fans pressed for time to go back and review. In any case, lazy blame games require so little thought they become an all consuming trap for both individuals and the community.

Clarification: My post is not intended to call out any poster. It is just an observation on what a high price blame games generate. It remains an individual to individual choice as to how much effort is invested in understanding what unfolds in front of each of our eyes and ears. :229031_shrug: ..... carry on.

Your post is so vague, I'm not even sure what you mean, but I'll try to discuss the points i think you are talking about.....I watch the all-22 every week....

I think that you mean that Jimmy's usage in 2016 was because of injury and returning from injury.......If this was the case......than why did Graham play in a higher percentage of snaps in 2016 than ANY season in his career? He was too hurt to be used in the red zone....but healthy enough to play more than ever before all over the field?

Addressing your point about jimmy's ankle injury in week 8... Here are his total play time percentages for 2017...

1 81.6%
2 64.6%
3 65.8%
4 67.6%
5 61.8%
6 63.2%
7 71.0%
8 68.7%
9 69.8%
10 64.9%
11 69.1%
12 67.7%
13 61.3%
14 80.0%
15 70.2%

His playing percentages have been pretty consistent throughout the year, for whatever reason his usage has mainly been in the RZ.

Jville

Reaction score
scrummymustard":1eajsuun said:
Jville":1eajsuun said:

Your post is so vague, I'm not even sure what you mean, but I'll try to discuss the points i think you are talking about.....I watch the all-22 every week....

I think that you mean that Jimmy's usage in 2016 was because of injury and returning from injury.......If this was the case......than why did Graham play in a higher percentage of snaps in 2016 than ANY season in his career? He was too hurt to be used in the red zone....but healthy enough to play more than ever before all over the field?

Addressing your point about jimmy's ankle injury in week 8... Here are his total play time percentages for 2017...

1 81.6%
2 64.6%
3 65.8%
4 67.6%
5 61.8%
6 63.2%
7 71.0%
8 68.7%
9 69.8%
10 64.9%
11 69.1%
12 67.7%
13 61.3%
14 80.0%
15 70.2%

His playing percentages have been pretty consistent throughout the year, for whatever reason his usage has mainly been in the RZ.

The intent of my post was to acknowledge the trap of habitually relying on the assignment of blame.

In response to the mention of vagueness, I would say there is a great deal that we outside of the VMAC don't know. Week to week health variations and match up uncertainty affect player utilization. When Russell Wilson was intercepted by a trailing db a couple of weeks ago, one could see the explosive acceleration and timing from the db. The db's film study on Graham paid off. I see no reason to fault or blame Wilson or Graham or the play call or game plan or anything else over that outcome. It's football. The effects of roster churn also contribute to unknowns. For example, Kearse departed as a wide receiver red zone option. Richardson earned a significant role in 2017 plans for the wide receiver core. The mix of assets are in constant flux. Looking for possible influences that contribute to changes in how a player is utilized can be helpful and even instructive. Resorting to blaming individuals again and again provides nothing in the way of insight.

Thanks for your feedback.

scrummymustard

Reaction score
Jville":1kyu6bsn said:
scrummymustard":1kyu6bsn said:
Jville":1kyu6bsn said:

1 81.6%
2 64.6%
3 65.8%
4 67.6%
5 61.8%
6 63.2%
7 71.0%
8 68.7%
9 69.8%
10 64.9%
11 69.1%
12 67.7%
13 61.3%
14 80.0%
15 70.2%

The intent of my post was to acknowledge the trap of habitually relying on the assignment of blame.

In response to the mention of vagueness, I would say there is a great deal that we outside of the VMAC don't know. Week to week health variations and match up uncertainty affect player utilization. When Russell Wilson was intercepted by a trailing db a couple of weeks ago, one could see the explosive acceleration and timing from the db. The db's film study on Graham paid off. I see no reason to fault or blame Wilson or Graham or the play call or game plan or anything else over that outcome. It's football. The effects of roster churn also contribute to unknowns. For example, Kearse departed as a wide receiver red zone option. Richardson earned a significant role in 2017 plans for the wide receiver core. The mix of assets are in constant flux. Looking for possible influences that contribute to changes in how a player is utilized can be helpful and even instructive. Resorting to blaming individuals again and again provides nothing in the way of insight.

Thanks for your feedback.

Appreciate the clarification and agree with your point. It's easier to place blame immediately than research.

But I acknowledge that this is a fan forum and everyone is different. I always enjoy the banter regardless.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
scrummymustard":2e81yuff said:
Jville":2e81yuff said:

I’ll give you the short readers digest version of what he’s trying to do.

Defend the OC at ALL COSTS, facts be damned!

We used to call that sort of thing “polishing a turd”.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
semiahmoo":253015s7 said:
Great points all around!
I agree..
I hope can keep him and use him right.
The RZ is a big step this year finally and if they can just line him out at WR(forget blocking as TE)
I know we talk this over/over but this is a serious board so we do..

OP
OP
S

semiahmoo

Reaction score
IndyHawk":2kasx8fx said:
semiahmoo":2kasx8fx said:
Great points all around!
I agree..
The RZ is a big step this year finally and if they can just line him out at WR(forget blocking as TE)

Indeed. There should be no issue here regarding a free exchange of ideas - even oft-repeated ones.

Hope Jimmy G stays but will understand if he chooses to move on, especially if there isn't a big change in the coaching staff.

Seymour

Reaction score
Quite an accomplishment for Jimmy. If it all works out, he will get a chance for 3 teams next year. We sure don't get $10M out of him, and never have.

You (Pete) want to be a run 1st team then guys like Graham absolutely have to go.

Jville

Reaction score
I find it useful to go ahead and think of Jimmy Graham as a big or jumbo receiver. It seems to me that Graham, Willson and even Vannett are commonly termed as move or joker tight ends. Those of us who still miss the play of a well rounded and versatile Zack Miller may need to go ahead and let go of that style of tight ends. Old school tight ends may very well have gone the way of the fullback. There may be something to the notion that old school football has given way to field basketball.

Carroll's early offense has morphed into what we see today. I would assume that it would take a significant retooling to head off in another direction. I'm guessing the the evolution will continue.

Subzero717

Reaction score
scrummymustard":t9i1985r said:
I don't get our offensive staff. Last year they used him between the 20s, barely in the red zone.

This year, used in red zone, barely between the 20s.

Honestly though, if you were Graham, would you come back here? This offense is so Jekyll and Hyde.

He's had a bunch of drops.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

Uncle Si

Reaction score
semiahmoo":36ft81m6 said:
IndyHawk":36ft81m6 said:
semiahmoo":36ft81m6 said:
Great points all around!
I agree..

Indeed. There should be no issue here regarding a free exchange of ideas - even oft-repeated ones.

Hope Jimmy G stays but will understand if he chooses to move on, especially if there isn't a big change in the coaching staff.

It's not an "exchange of ideas" if you keep repeating yourself, is it...

You never miss a chance to have a go at the head coach.

Subzero717

Reaction score
I really cantvstand Jimmy. The only thing about him is the fact that if he doesn't score those 10 TDs, who does? We are so bad on offense, specifically in the red zone. This has been an issue forever, not just this season.

OP
OP
S

semiahmoo

Reaction score
Seymour":1zxyb2lc said:
Quite an accomplishment for Jimmy. If it all works out, he will get a chance for 3 teams next year. We sure don't get $10M out of him, and never have.

You (Pete) want to be a run 1st team then guys like Graham absolutely have to go.

I'd rather see Pete go not just for Jimmy G but for the whole of the team. I think it's time.

Others disagree w/that and that's fine. That's what being a fan is about - differences of opinion brought together by a shared love of a team.

They tried to make Jimmy into something he's not - a Gronk-styled wrecking ball out there. Jimmy is actually the better athlete and potentially a far better offensive threat. He was misused too often for too long.

What could have been...

OP
OP
S

semiahmoo

Reaction score
Subzero717":2e8bydb7 said:
I really cantvstand Jimmy. The only thing about him is the fact that if he doesn't score those 10 TDs, who does? We are so bad on offense, specifically in the red zone. This has been an issue forever, not just this season.

Agreed. Miss those Beast Mode days when he just blasted into the end-zone. Of course the O-line was a fair bit better then as well.