Jermaine Kearse won't give hometown discount to Seahawks

sutz

Reaction score
chris98251":gprt5l0z said:
As a UDFA he player for a minimum, he got a nice boost on a prove it contract, this is his time to really negotiate with his playing history now, he isn't saying he will break the bank, just that he's not giving a discount and wants fair value.
...and there's the rub. The team and Jermaine are bound to have a slightly different idea about what "fair value" means. Throw in a 3rd party and we have a negotiation.

I hope they can find common ground, as they say. Kearse is someone I would love to hang onto.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3sac0zjl said:
I don't think he'll have a choice.

Like Doug before him, Kearse's value is much higher within our system and team. It took him what 2-3 full seasons to be the kind of WR he is now learning what Russell needed him to do?

I highly doubt another team is going to give him a big contract offer, as Kearse is the textbook definition of a "system player." Not tall, not fast, not particularly long or quick.............but smart and savvy within our system.
I 100% agree, there's a lot to be said about the 'familiarity' factor, and trying to refit / linkup with another Quarterback who just may not be on the same wave, he may wind up sitting out plays, and being a #3 type Receiver, who knows how long they give him to produce?
There's a lot of potential downside to switching horses in the middle of the stream.
With the Seahawks, he has a better chance to build on his skillset.
Then again, he could (theoretically) go somewhere else and light it up.

Sac

Reaction score
Kearse will be lucky to get 5 or 6M per year somewhere else to be a #2 guy with a garbage QB throwing to him.

KiwiHawk

Reaction score
If all of our receivers were healthy and you had to assemble a 4-WR set, who would be your guys? That should tell you if we should pay starter money for Kearse.

For me, the 4-WR formation would feature Baldwin, Lockett, Richardson, and Graham.

Kearse is a good enough receiver, but we have better guys ahead of him. His main value comes as a contingency for Richardson.

rideaducati

Reaction score
Who cares. His production isn't worth what he was paid this year and a better receiver won't be hard to find or have nearly as many drops. I doubt he gets offered much more than be made this year anyway.

Good luck to him.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":29fgppgv said:
BullHawk33":29fgppgv said:
As Bennett said, there is no such thing as a hometown discount.

Other than the one he claimed to take lol?

If the hometown is offering at least the going rate, is it really a 'discount?'

Rob12

Reaction score
The 25-year-old Kearse was born in Lakewood, Washington, and played college football at the University of Washington. In four seasons with the Seahawks, he has caught 112 passes for 1,599 yards and 10 touchdowns.

Not too worried, Jermaine...

Zorn76

Reaction score
Kearse has had a solid run in Seattle.
Be nice if he could stay, but he's definitely not irreplaceable by any means.

Rob12

Reaction score
With his numbers, I don't see a team offering him much more than the Seahawks would (if they do). His numbers haven't been impressive, which is not his fault, really. But he does have a tendency to completely disappear in games.

I think he's likely gone because he'll go to the highest bidder.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
dumbrabbit":2pjxegva said:
It bugs me when people ask these questions. Why should anyone give their team a hometown discount? Football is dfferent than other sports. Players should go for the money.
This. The expectation is absurd at best.

Sac

Reaction score
c3adaadab2794854be73bb9ea1eca290.jpg

Rob12

Reaction score
Just throwing this out there again:

In four seasons with the Seahawks, he has caught 112 passes for 1,599 yards and 10 touchdowns.

Per season averages:

28 receptions
400 yards
2.5 TD

I don't mean to bag on Jermaine Kearse, because I have supported him throughout his time here, and want him to be on this team moving forward. I think him and Russ have a lot of trust with each other, and he is a serviceable No. 3. He's a very good No. 4 receiver.

But even for a team that hasn't passed the ball a whole lot, those numbers are mediocre. When I look at those numbers, I think of a No. 2 TE on a team with a middle of the pack passing offense. He's made some insanely clutch catches for us, and has also dropped some huge catches as well.

I don't see a team, unless they're just starved for a player that has significant playoff/SB experience, paying him much more than he earned with the Seahawks in 2015 ($2.4M). But who knows, maybe a team will throw him three or four years at $12-15M? In that case, I wouldn't mind if the Seahawks let him go elsewhere. He's still just 25, which is kind of hard to believe, and that will garner some interest.

I'm all for Jermaine maximizing his earning potential. He deserves it. He doesn't owe Seattle a hometown discount. By all accounts, he is an average to slightly above average NFL WR, so his future earning power isn't huge - at all. And if I'm him, I'm doing the same thing, especially for his reasons - he's worked hard, and he wants to help secure the future of his family.

I hope he stays, but will understand if he goes.

tooshort

Reaction score
I have been asking this since Monday to all my Hawks knowledgeable customers...

If Graham is showing good signs of recovery and your option is Kearse at $4-6m or J.G. at $9m who do you pick?

100% Graham so far... And i don't disagree

Rob12

Reaction score
tooshort":1o6lcm66 said:
I have been asking this since Monday to all my Hawks knowledgeable customers...

If Graham is showing good signs of recovery and your option is Kearse at $4-6m or J.G. at $9m who do you pick?

100% Graham so far... And i don't disagree

Graham... It's really not close.

One of the best TE's to ever the play the game. Kearse is good, I really like him, but he's a 3/4. That's replaceable all day long.

I just really hope Jimmy can get back. That injury is no joke, and small sample size or not, history shows that the injured player is not the same after shredding the patella tendon. I think he can buck the trend, but it's an injury that reminds me of the handful of (good) NBA players who got micro fracture surgery on one their knees in the late 90's/early 2000's. Many of them were not the same afterwards.

peppersjap

Reaction score
onanygivensunday":1lob3gsq said:
I expect Kearse's value on the open market will be in the neighborhood of $4.5M/year, which is what Baldwin got a couple of years ago.

We could afford that provided Marshwan is cut, Okung leaves in FA, same with Mebane, and the same with Irvin.
Why in the world would we pay that kind of money for Kearse. I like the guy and his most recent game was great but we seem to remember the Green Bay game last year where he caught the winning TD rather than the same game where he was the cause of a few interceptions. I would be fine with him coming back at the pay scale he was at this year but there is no way he deserves a raise. He is very inconsistent in the NFL, just like he was at the UW. His production would completely go away for games this year. You have to show up for more than the big games. I have always liked him and hope he gets a big payday but we shouldn't be the team that gives it to him.

OP
OP
M

massari

Reaction score
Assuming Kearse gets 3-4M average per year, I would've rather re-signed G.Tate for 6M per.

Seems to me (noob) that they'd be better off using this money on the OL instead of Kearse.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Kearse is the Seahawks version of Big Shot Bob Horry. Serendipity put him in the right place, and when it mattered most, he has answered the bell with big plays. Often contested plays. He is a solid blocker. He checks lots of above average boxes, but doesn't check any great boxes, except the big play when you need it box.

I will be very surprised if he gets offers over 4 mil, if the Seahawks don't negotiate a deal with him before free agency. If they do, I would expect it to be reasonable. He doesn't command double teams. But I could be wrong, and some team with a superstar WR might see him as a really good single coverage guy.

Teams I could see valuing his blocking and reliable 3rd guy skills, Pats, SF, Dallas, Washington, Jacksonville, Atlanta.

Ozzy

Reaction score
Let's say he gets 3-4 million from Seattle. Richardson is easily the more talented guy. If he is healthy he could easily beat Kearse out at some point. Do you want to pay 4 million for your #4? His value is in being a contingency for Richardson. For 3-4 million I would rather gamble on a drafted guy, Smith, Williams etc and put t 3-4 million into the line or somewhere else. I think that's the direction the Seahawks will go.

Pulling for him to get paid though, he's worked hard.

Latest posts