Jazz Ferguson to be cut

West TX Hawk

Reaction score
I don't know how anyone objectively can argue that Jennings is a better prospect or showcased more ability during camp. Jennings is the next Darboh and can only wish to be a JAG. Jazz demonstrated if nothing else, the ability to box out and be a redzone threat. Jennings' entire camp resume was predicated on a singular practice and in the games only displayed overt mental errors.

There seems to always be this sentiment on here that if the FO made the decision then it just has to be the right one and to hell with any cut or former players. I don't understand this concept of refusing to ever criticize the FO.

And to hell with these Kasen Williams comparables---why have many people forgotten Kasen was on the active roster for parts of '15 and '16 and when they cut him in '17, they had evaluated him over a 3 year period. Here, they are willing to part ways with a 6'5 4.45 player immediately.

The compete mantra is evidently greatly exaggerated as Jazz clearly outperformed Jennings.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
West TX Hawk":29vidc41 said:
............Jazz clearly outperformed Jennings.
Were you at all the practices including the ones closed to the public and media? If not, you don't know that to be fact.

That said, I don't think either of them do much in the long run.

Jville

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/MikeDugar/status/1167918095228260352[/tweet]

Northwest Seahawk

Reaction score
Looks like those failed drug tests and grades are really screwing this guy. We'll see if that mentality continues to hold up now that he's been cut.

John63

Reaction score
hawksfansinceday1":e5dfwvuj said:
West TX Hawk":e5dfwvuj said:
Were you at all the practices including the ones closed to the public and media? If not, you don't know that to be fact.

I was not at the closed onea but all the rest. Jazz out performed him. More importantly he didn't when it mattered real games.

Fade

Reaction score
West TX Hawk":1bk1nu9z said:
I don't know how anyone objectively can argue that Jennings is a better prospect or showcased more ability during camp. Jennings is the next Darboh and can only wish to be a JAG. Jazz demonstrated if nothing else, the ability to box out and be a redzone threat. Jennings' entire camp resume was predicated on a singular practice and in the games only displayed overt mental errors.

There seems to always be this sentiment on here that if the FO made the decision then it just has to be the right one and to hell with any cut or former players. I don't understand this concept of refusing to ever criticize the FO.

And to hell with these Kasen Williams comparables---why have many people forgotten Kasen was on the active roster for parts of '15 and '16 and when they cut him in '17, they had evaluated him over a 3 year period. Here, they are willing to part ways with a 6'5 4.45 player immediately.

The compete mantra is evidently greatly exaggerated as Jazz clearly outperformed Jennings.

Very much true for the pre-season games, but we don't know what went on in the meeting rooms, locker room, practices, and outside of the building.

There is a reason he went undrafted, and it wasn't because of his talent level.

Now if he kept his nose clean outside of showing up for rookie mini camp over weight. He should have made the team over Jennings.

Thepeelsessions

Reaction score
Northwest Seahawk":3d9glzg4 said:
Looks like those failed drug tests and grades are really screwing this guy. We'll see if that mentality continues to hold up now that he's been cut.
Damn, that's pretty cold and seemingly ignorant.

Northwest Seahawk

Reaction score
Thepeelsessions":8m0ztt1i said:
Northwest Seahawk":8m0ztt1i said:

Really you have a better explanation for going undrafted then getting cut after outperforming every other rookie WR on this team. You know what don't bother it will be just another asinine explanation.

West TX Hawk

Reaction score
hawksfansinceday1":17m6afqe said:
West TX Hawk":17m6afqe said:

No, certainly neither I nor you or anyone else was privy to all practices, workouts or behind scenes situations. All we can do is base our opinions on what we did see in the games, open practices and reports. Maybe there were genuine character, attitude or work ethic concerns but maybe not at all.

But what I saw in Jazz is a raw, untapped talent that showed a jump ball ability and a potential RZ target--that is at least something to build on. He does not appear to be a Chris Matthews fluke without projection. What we saw in Jennings were mental errors and not much else aside from a glowing report from 1 practice.

Perhaps you're correct that neither one becomes successful but it's indeed odd, questionable and curious Pete chose Turner and Jennings over the one "big man" receiver he supposedly covets.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
Ferguson was never going to see the field over Lockett, Moore, Metcalf, and Ursua as a WR. Your 5th and 6th WRs have to be adept on ST or they are GONE. Ursua may not even be active on game day a lot of the time because of ST in favor of Turner and possibly even Jennings.

End of story. Enough crying already.

Thepeelsessions

Reaction score
Northwest Seahawk":317rhrm8 said:
Thepeelsessions":317rhrm8 said:
Northwest Seahawk":317rhrm8 said:

Really you have a better explanation for going undrafted then getting cut after outperforming every other rookie WR on this team. You know what don't bother it will be just another asinine explanation.
Don't be a fool. By all accounts, he turned himself around when he transferred. His coaches and peers had nothing but glowing things to say about him, and this is all public knowledge. Yes, to say he was cut due to drug problems and poor grades is ignorant and "asinine".

Donn2390

Reaction score
Thepeelsessions":1uii1cq3 said:
Northwest Seahawk":1uii1cq3 said:
Thepeelsessions":1uii1cq3 said:
Why do I always hear that Pete loves and covets big WRs? Outside of Rice and Mike Williams, the biggest WR that's had any sort of production during Pete's tenure has been Kearse. Pete has almost always targeted the smaller guys. Lockett, Doug, Percy, Richardson, etc.

I'm over it I just hope he doesn't land in the NFC West actually maybe he should Pete and John have been very pig headed about the Jazz VS Jennings decision.

I honestly would like to see him picked up. I hope he gets a shot on a 53 man roster. I don't care for who, either. He was arguably the most impressive receiver, all things considered, outside of the locked in positions, DK included (I'd also take him over Jaron any day).
As much as I love the Hawks, this is a move I hope comes back on them.

To make a statement like that, you not only don't love em, you don't even like them and hope to see them fail...!!

Thunderhawk

Reaction score
How on Earth does Jazz Ferguson justify this kind of hand wringing?

Having been a member of this board for around a decade I find it fascinating what sets some people off. I mean, two pages of comments for Jazz Ferguson?

Jazz Ferguson?

Thank God the front office is smart enough to ignore a couple splash plays and contextualize. Jennings will be the better pro guaranteed.

quadsas

Reaction score
You realise he's probably practice squad bound? We just didn't have enough spots on the squad. NFL teams are probably aware by now that you don't pick up Seahawks preseason stars that get cut

chris98251

Reaction score
vin.couve12":3535445b said:
Ferguson was never going to see the field over Lockett, Moore, Metcalf, and Ursua as a WR. Your 5th and 6th WRs have to be adept on ST or they are GONE. Ursua may not even be active on game day a lot of the time because of ST in favor of Turner and possibly even Jennings.

Jennings showed nothing, Moore has been a one trick pony and undependable so far, just because someone is willing to make dumb moves and get 15 yard penalties does not make him a better player, more like a emotionally desperate one that can't maintain his focus.

One thing that does stand out is special teams, having two receivers in Metcalf and Jazz that at least I didn't see play on them is a factor.

Homer played and can run between the tackles and catch, that's one plus over McKissic, Ursua looked to be a guy that can return punts and does other stuff on special teams.

As far as never seeing the field, having two 6'3 plus guys inside the ten for fades, post up's and jump balls would be very hard to defend against on a quick throw. Moore is not that kind of receiver, Lockett isn't Ursua isn't. Turner, yes he does gunning on Kick Offs, but again a one trick pony. I expect him to be cut and resigned to the PS with someone else being brought back as a Vet.

AgentDib

Reaction score
West TX Hawk":2obiyunj said:
But what I saw in Jazz is a raw, untapped talent that showed a jump ball ability and a potential RZ target--that is at least something to build on.
This seems like a fair assessment of Ferguson's current state and if we had a minor league system then we could keep him as a valuable piece in our farm system. However, under our current system the primary concern is whether a player is ready to produce now.

After all, 1200 people just got cut and another 500 rookies will be added to the pool of potentials next off-season. You could spend the whole year carrying Ferguson in order to bring him up to speed only to replace him next season with a better prospect. If he sticks on the practice squad and develops there then so much the better, but if he doesn't then we can replace him with any of the thousands of promising young players who aren't yet NFL ready.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
You can sort of understand why they kept Jennings as he was never likely to clear waivers, but am curious about keeping Malik Jackson over Ferguson.

Ferguson does have a fair shot at clearing Waivers and would then be back on the PS.

Jville

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/TomPelissero/status/1168205754395963392[/tweet]

.................................... I'm sure this makes a lot of people happy.

Scorpion05

Reaction score
chris98251":1xia7s0k said:
vin.couve12":1xia7s0k said:

Jennings showed nothing, Moore has been a one trick pony and undependable so far, just because someone is willing to make dumb moves and get 15 yard penalties does not make him a better player, more like a emotionally desperate one that can't maintain his focus.

One thing that does stand out is special teams, having two receivers in Metcalf and Jazz that at least I didn't see play on them is a factor.

Homer played and can run between the tackles and catch, that's one plus over McKissic, Ursua looked to be a guy that can return punts and does other stuff on special teams.

As far as never seeing the field, having two 6'3 plus guys inside the ten for fades, post up's and jump balls would be very hard to defend against on a quick throw. Moore is not that kind of receiver, Lockett isn't Ursua isn't. Turner, yes he does gunning on Kick Offs, but again a one trick pony. I expect him to be cut and resigned to the PS with someone else being brought back as a Vet.

If you really think an NFL offense can function effectively just by having big receivers to make quick throws for fades, jump balls, etc. Wow. Why haven’t 31 other teams thought of that.

Just get the really big, or really fast receiver. That’s it, that’s how Sean McVay, Sean Payton, and all the other offensive geniuses run an offense.

So just to confirm, Jennings showed nothing right? Educate all of us, did you see this from All-22 film? Spending hours(like the coaches do) analyzing and studying him in practice or in games? Kind of like politics, it’s great for the public to have opinions. The worst kind of opinion however are from those who swear they have the answers when they haven’t done the extensive, wall to wall research.

I’m not gonna pretend I spent an extensive amount of time doing research. But I did rewatch the preseason games. I did read the scouting report on Jazz and Jennings. And I do pay to watch All-22 film during the season. Some of you see stats on paper and that’s where the facts begin and end for you.

Moore has been a one trick pony? That one trick pony has made huge catches, and was a 7th rounder who developed into a competent NFL wide receiver. What exactly are you expecting, REASONABLY AND LOGICALLY, from young players still developing? So if Moore, with his speed and contested/deep catch ability, also becomes more crisp in his routes, then what? Doesn’t that make him a stud? Which then means we’ll have to pay him eventually?

So to review, Moore’s currently a one trick pony. But with a little more ability, he’d be a Pro-Bowl level talent. Sounds very black and white. And Jennings showed nothing because, you’ve done the extensive research to come to that conclusion. And a receiver should be selected because he’s big and fast, which is all what any explosive offense needs. Am I missing anything?

West TX Hawk

Reaction score
Scorpion05":3d5ej71j said:
chris98251":3d5ej71j said:
vin.couve12":3d5ej71j said:

The worst kind of opinion however are from those who swear they have the answers when they haven’t done the extensive, wall to wall research.

I’m not gonna pretend I spent an extensive amount of time doing research...

Interesting. I guess then we can surmise your opinion is no more validated than the rest of ours, correct?