Jazz Ferguson to be cut

olyfan63

Reaction score
Thepeelsessions":xnzld6hr said:
Come on man, Jennings was reportedly struggling with everything during TC (from more than one observer) and that carried over into the preseason. He struggled going against backup DBs, go back and watch the games. He made more than a few blatantly boneheaded penalties on ST. Jennings has a very, VERY long way to go.

In the preseason game vs the Raiders, Jenning's "bonehead" ST penalty on that punt return was not quite exactly as it seemed. He got pushed in the back by a Raiders player into the returner. Visible on replay, but hard to see in real time. With the push, he couldn't quite hold up that split second to allow time for the ball to arrive first. From there it looked like he decided he may as well hit the guy anyway and make it an actual tackle, rather than going all goofy.

From the Seahawks ST coaches standpoint, the play is still a "win" for Jennings; he took the right path, avoided the blockers, hustled down and got there, and just got outfoxed. As a ST coach, I would love to see one of my players make a "bonehead" play like this in preseason, because *now* you have that player's *full attention* and desire to analyze and fix that mistake.

In the regular season, the refs might very well catch that and call a block in the back on the return team, which would have been the correct call, and pick up the personal foul flag.

On balance, that play is probably a net positive for Jennings with the coaching staff and for making the team. It's hard to coach speed and desire, but for damn sure you can coach technique, decision-making, taking correct lines, timing, etc. With a little coaching a guy like Jennings who already has speed and desire can become a special teams ace.

Northwest Seahawk

Reaction score
Well as fans all we can do is go by how these rookies look in preseason. Jazz outplayed every other rookie WR on this team . He deserved a roster spot . I'll settle for the practice squad.

I sure hope there right about Jennings all the kid has done in preseason is make bone headed penalty's.

sutz

Reaction score
Northwest Seahawk":2ga5790l said:
Jazz outplayed every other rookie WR on this team . He deserved a roster spot.
Dude, srsly? :34853_doh:

vin.couve12

Reaction score
How long have you been watching this team? This coach? How did we win a Superbowl with 2 scrub receivers (at the time) who also covered kicks and blocked punts? How can you be as much of a learning disabled moron as you are? If you don't play ST then you're not getting your foot in the door. There has been 1 exception to that (Metcalf).

But go ahead and keep crying to a guy who actually did make it to the PS and is still technically a Hawk....

olyfan63

Reaction score
chris98251":24r2qp2p said:
Jennings showed nothing, Moore has been a one trick pony and undependable so far, just because someone is willing to make dumb moves and get 15 yard penalties does not make him a better player, more like a emotionally desperate one that can't maintain his focus.
<snip non WR stuff>
As far as never seeing the field, having two 6'3 plus guys inside the ten for fades, post up's and jump balls would be very hard to defend against on a quick throw. Moore is not that kind of receiver, Lockett isn't Ursua isn't. Turner, yes he does gunning on Kick Offs, but again a one trick pony. I expect him to be cut and resigned to the PS with someone else being brought back as a Vet.

Scorpion05":24r2qp2p said:
Wow, way to make a post personal.

If you really think an NFL offense can function effectively just by having big receivers to make quick throws for fades, jump balls, etc. Wow. Why haven’t 31 other teams thought of that.

Just get the really big, or really fast receiver. That’s it, that’s how Sean McVay, Sean Payton, and all the other offensive geniuses run an offense.

So to review, Moore’s currently a one trick pony. But with a little more ability, he’d be a Pro-Bowl level talent. Sounds very black and white. And Jennings showed nothing because, you’ve done the extensive research to come to that conclusion. And a receiver should be selected because he’s big and fast, which is all what any explosive offense needs. Am I missing anything?

Wow, way to make a post into a Straw Man!
Chris98whatever shared a concise, objective, blunt assessment. Didn't see nothin' personal about it.
Now you are turning his post into a rather twisted straw man instead of seeing it for what it is.

Besides, everybody knows that big WR targets you can throw jump balls to win you Super Bowls. The Patriots have proven that over and overs with those big-bodied receivers of theirs, Julian Edelman and Danny Amendola. We tried to counter with our small quick guy, Chris Matthews, and it worked for a half and then suddenly it didn't work. And don't even bring up their small quick guys like Gronkowski and back in the day, that Randy Mossy fellow. Dink and dunk football. But those red zone jump-ball winners like Edelman and Amendola, now guys like that are a dagger in the heart to opponents.

OK, back on topic.
Jazz didn't make it because of issues that Pete and his staff saw needed work. Their assessment is that Jennings is closer to becoming a real NFL wide receiver in a real NFL offense. Jennings made plays on special teams, and his errors there are fixable with coaching. I don't recall hearing Jazz's number called on special teams plays. Does he not play ST, or just not make plays on ST?

David Moore had some nice splash plays last year, like in the Lions game, but it seemed to me that he became near-invisible the last month of the season. Why? I have no idea. Maybe injured? In any case, he is unavailable for a while.

Someone on the team had a couple nice returns on ST in preseason games... was that Moore before his injury?

I do expect/hope we bring back Jauron Brown after the Clowney trade and roster situation is all resolved, but I know these things can get tricky.

At this point, there are so many variables it's just too tricky for most of us mere mortals to make an accurate call with limited info.

I would love to see a talent like Jazz do the work to become an NFL-quality receiver with the 'Hawks. Jerome Kearse did it, back in the day.

Scorpion05

Reaction score
West TX Hawk":3001b9td said:
Scorpion05":3001b9td said:
chris98251":3001b9td said:
vin.couve12":3001b9td said:
Ferguson was never going to see the field over Lockett, Moore, Metcalf, and Ursua as a WR. Your 5th and 6th WRs have to be adept on ST or they are GONE. Ursua may not even be active on game day a lot of the time because of ST in favor of Turner and possibly even Jennings.

End of story. Enough crying already.

Jennings showed nothing, Moore has been a one trick pony and undependable so far, just because someone is willing to make dumb moves and get 15 yard penalties does not make him a better player, more like a emotionally desperate one that can't maintain his focus.

One thing that does stand out is special teams, having two receivers in Metcalf and Jazz that at least I didn't see play on them is a factor.

Homer played and can run between the tackles and catch, that's one plus over McKissic, Ursua looked to be a guy that can return punts and does other stuff on special teams.

As far as never seeing the field, having two 6'3 plus guys inside the ten for fades, post up's and jump balls would be very hard to defend against on a quick throw. Moore is not that kind of receiver, Lockett isn't Ursua isn't. Turner, yes he does gunning on Kick Offs, but again a one trick pony. I expect him to be cut and resigned to the PS with someone else being brought back as a Vet.

The worst kind of opinion however are from those who swear they have the answers when they haven’t done the extensive, wall to wall research.

I’m not gonna pretend I spent an extensive amount of time doing research...

Interesting. I guess then we can surmise your opinion is no more validated than the rest of ours, correct?

Nope, let’s revise:

- Basing Jazz’s roster spot on mixed preseason tape, when you’re not watching or doing the same research as coaches/analysts is arrogant, and at worst silly

- Basing Jazz’s roster cut on mixed preseason tape, low competition, who’s production came in large part because he was force fed the ball, is logical. Arguing that coaches are looking at All-22 tape, and evaluate Jazz and Jennings far more than any of us, is also a logical argument.

The difference, is that I’m not butt hurt or unreasonably passionate about whether Jazz did, or didn’t make the team. But basic football IQ means understanding that picking football players for your roster comes far more down to scheme fit, and how they fit within an offense. Not just how big, and fast a player is. Is that more clear?

chris98251

Reaction score
Scorpion05":2kpx0661 said:
chris98251":2kpx0661 said:
vin.couve12":2kpx0661 said:
Ferguson was never going to see the field over Lockett, Moore, Metcalf, and Ursua as a WR. Your 5th and 6th WRs have to be adept on ST or they are GONE. Ursua may not even be active on game day a lot of the time because of ST in favor of Turner and possibly even Jennings.

End of story. Enough crying already.

One thing that does stand out is special teams, having two receivers in Metcalf and Jazz that at least I didn't see play on them is a factor.

Homer played and can run between the tackles and catch, that's one plus over McKissic, Ursua looked to be a guy that can return punts and does other stuff on special teams.

If you really think an NFL offense can function effectively just by having big receivers to make quick throws for fades, jump balls, etc. Wow. Why haven’t 31 other teams thought of that.

Just get the really big, or really fast receiver. That’s it, that’s how Sean McVay, Sean Payton, and all the other offensive geniuses run an offense.

So just to confirm, Jennings showed nothing right? Educate all of us, did you see this from All-22 film? Spending hours(like the coaches do) analyzing and studying him in practice or in games? Kind of like politics, it’s great for the public to have opinions. The worst kind of opinion however are from those who swear they have the answers when they haven’t done the extensive, wall to wall research.

I’m not gonna pretend I spent an extensive amount of time doing research. But I did rewatch the preseason games. I did read the scouting report on Jazz and Jennings. And I do pay to watch All-22 film during the season. Some of you see stats on paper and that’s where the facts begin and end for you.

Moore has been a one trick pony? That one trick pony has made huge catches, and was a 7th rounder who developed into a competent NFL wide receiver. What exactly are you expecting, REASONABLY AND LOGICALLY, from young players still developing? So if Moore, with his speed and contested/deep catch ability, also becomes more crisp in his routes, then what? Doesn’t that make him a stud? Which then means we’ll have to pay him eventually?

So to review, Moore’s currently a one trick pony. But with a little more ability, he’d be a Pro-Bowl level talent. Sounds very black and white. And Jennings showed nothing because, you’ve done the extensive research to come to that conclusion. And a receiver should be selected because he’s big and fast, which is all what any explosive offense needs. Am I missing anything?

Moore almost a Pro Bowler, get out of here, he would have to look better then Lockett, seems like you better start watching more film.

As far as Jazz he is big, fast and runs better routes then Moore, Moore rounded his routes badly last year, he was good on streaks and where he could use his natural speed. That's my knock on him, rounding routes and body catching makes him easy to defend.

Turner is also has many of the same down sides of Moore, can't get open unless it's a go route, where he does add value is special teams.

Jennings showed nothing except he can get 15 yard penalties so far. He does contribute on special teams, but Pete only has so much patience for guys that draw brain fart penalties.

Winston Guy Jr., Tharold Simon, two guys that had a habit of doing that, yes they are DB's but even more so puts the point in place.

sutz

Reaction score
chris98251":biz550bf said:
Jennings showed nothing except he can get 15 yard penalties so far. He does contribute on special teams, but Pete only has so much patience for guys that draw brain fart penalties.

Winston Guy Jr., Tharold Simon, two guys that had a habit of doing that, yes they are DB's but even more so puts the point in place.
Stupid penalties and fumbles. Sure tickets to Pete's doghouse, and a boot out the door.

OP
OP
UK_Seahawk

UK_Seahawk

Reaction score
Jville":286zc1zk said:
[tweet]https://twitter.com/TomPelissero/status/1168205754395963392[/tweet]

.................................... I'm sure this makes a lot of people happy.

It made me this happy....

[youtube]NdWJpHt1Xws[/youtube]