Jalen Carter

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
Totally apologize in advance for the saturation of Jalen Carter discussions, but since Seattle made a wave with free agency, I feel thoughts may have changed and I’d like to get an updated assessment on posters here.

Sorry, to the mods, if you guys see this as “another Carter” thread.

But, has your opinion on Jalen Carter changed since you been made aware of his potential/pending legal issues? And now the updates via free agency?

I gotta admit, I loved the potential of Carter to Seattle before his legal issues.

And then his legal issues was brought to light and then I became a lot more concerned and tapered on Seattle picking him…

However, it’s been a week or so on his situation being made public.

Has your opinion on him, changed?

Stayed the same?

Did you want him originally and not now?

Or you wanted him originally, and still kind of do?

We are for sure not knowing what the investigation holds, of course, but, now knowing that Seattle picked up Dre’mont Jones, does adding a DE/DT, such as Carter at pick 5, gives you any inclination that Seattle may or may not draft Carter?

Of course, all of this is pretty tightly under wraps, and I’m sure Seattle is doing their due diligence and investigating as much as they can, so they leave no stones unturned.

But I gotta admit the idea of Jones, paired up with Nwosu and possibly, Jalen Carter, thereby addressing this defensive line woes, still intrigues me and I guess I’m not totally against it as much as I thought I originally was following his news.

But it still remains to be seen if they throw the book at Carter and there is enough evidence to do so—we’ll see.

But I’m not so sure I’m ready to condemn the guy, if Seattle does their investigation and concludes, he’ll be fine, and actually picks Carter at 5.

The possibility of this defensive line being fixed this year, wholeheartedly intrigues me, if Carter is the pick and as talented as Carter is.

I’m not sure what Seattle will do, but I honestly feel right now, anything and anyone is fair game and open to Seattle, and Seattle will make an impact this draft. Not sure what they will do, but they will make an impact.

How does dot net posters feel now and what do you want Seattle to do, if you could choose.

No right or wrong answers, just an open and constructive discussion of insight.

Thanks again.

nanomoz

Reaction score
Go listen to some of Schneider's interviews recently. He credits an emphasis on character for recent draft success. There is zero chance the Hawks will draft Carter. The national media dudes that are still mocking Carter to the Hawks simply haven't done their homework and aren't very good at their job.

And that's before the news of the big legal trouble. The dude is wildly talented, but he had conditioning problems two years in a row, despite saying it was a problem / point of emphasis after the 2021 season.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Go listen to some of Schneider's interviews recently. He credits an emphasis on character for recent draft success. There is zero chance the Hawks will draft Carter. The national media dudes that are still mocking Carter to the Hawks simply haven't done their homework and aren't very good at their job.

And that's before the news of the big legal trouble. The dude is wildly talented, but he had conditioning problems two years in a row, despite saying it was a problem / point of emphasis after the 2021 season.

This is presuming a LOT about what Pete and John are thinking.

The recent arrest has definitely created a pause in what most people consider a slam dunk best prospect in the entire draft kind of player.

But I'm still in on Carter, because unless by some miracle Anderson is still available at 5? He's still the biggest impact defensive player at 5, and that might be far too tempting to pass up despite his legal problems.

IMO this is a culture locker room that has PLENTY of role models and leaders to keep a player like Carter on the right track to success. We've seen it with guys like Clark and Irvin.

bsuhawk

Reaction score

Here's an article from May 2015 discussing JS drafting Frank Clark after stating that domestic violence was a deal breaker for anyone they were considering drafting. As a reminder, Frank Clark was dismissed from the Michigan program in November of 2014 for striking his girlfriend. I'm not being critical of JS, just pointing out that this is the season for NFL draft disinformation.

Jerhawk

Reaction score
Carter is who I've wanted the team to draft since October, not knowing that Seattle would have the #5 pick.

His "character" concerns are overblown. This is exactly the type of player that could use Carroll's wisdom and guidance, and Carroll loves a project like this.

He will be the #5 pick, book it, seal it, bet on it. He will be the most dominant Seahawk since Cortez Kennedy, and we will look back at this day and chuckle, thinking back on our hand wringing over his off the field incident.

Welcome to Seattle Jalen Carter. Your haters will soon embrace you with open arms when they see what you can do.

RockinHawks

Reaction score
I would love Bresee and Nolan Smith in round one. I think #5 might be too high for either...so maybe a trade down a bit, if someone wants a QB at that pick.

Carter would be a great pick, but I like Bresee's game more. He plays harder and looks more violent and physical to me.

EverydayImRusselin

Reaction score
Carter's production is non-existent in college. 6 career sacks in 3 seasons. That is all playing on the best team in college against college players. He's playing less than 50% of the snaps. None of this sounds like a top 5 player to me, even before the recent legal issues popped up.

CanHawksFan

Reaction score
I think there's a slightly lesser chance of Anderson being available now that the Raiders picked up Jimmy G. I thought there was a chance that they could have a decent package to move up in the draft to the Arizona #3 pick and grab a QB. If that had happened, there would have been the strong possibility of QBs going with picks 1-4, leaving Anderson to the Hawks.

That seems unlikely now, and so the Cards are likely to just keep the pick and take Anderson. So if there really is a big talent gap between Anderson/Carter and the rest of the defensive players in the draft, I think Carter would still be in play.

Obviously the team needs to do their due diligence and figure out his character/legal issues, but I don't think it's a foregone conclusion that he won't be picked. For me, the team still needs another DT, and the depth at that position in the draft isn't nearly as strong as it is for ends and edge rushers. I guess we'll see.

renofox

Reaction score
All his fans kerp calling him a "game-wrecker", "generational talent", or other superlative designation.

I watched all his plays for the 2022 season and I saw him making plays against OL that will go undrafted and being held in check by projected day 3 OL talent.

I also saw him coming out of the game constantly after being totally winded playing 30% of snaps.

He may end up being a great NFL player, but I would estimate an 80% chance he becomes a JAG or a washout. 10% or less that he becomes a game-wrecker or even a top-5 IDL.

No way do I gamble a 5 pick on this guy.

RiverDog

Reaction score
I didn't want Carter before the accident. I watched him in the two CFB playoff games and was underwhelmed, thought that he didn't have a high motor, seemed to get gassed easy, was subbed for often even on 3rd downs. Since I had only seen him in those two games, I noted my concerns here on this board, and a number of posters, several of whom I hold a great deal of respect for, validated my opinion.

Then came the crash and all of the subsequent revelations about his behavior, the most concerning of which is that he left the scene of the accident before first responders arrived. Even if it didn't involve two people he knew, IMO it's unconscionable to leave like that when human beings lives were at stake without first making sure that there wasn't anything he could do to help, and that means waiting for first responders. At the very least, you could help with crowd or traffic control. Hell, I'd stop to check on a friend's dog if it was injured. For me, that's a huge red character flag.

Even if we did want Carter, it wouldn't make a lot of sense to use our #5 overall on him as there's a good chance that he's going to fall. But I don't think he's on our board.

rjdriver

Reaction score
I didn't want Carter before the accident. I watched him in the two CFB playoff games and was underwhelmed, thought that he didn't have a high motor, seemed to get gassed easy, was subbed for often even on 3rd downs. Since I had only seen him in those two games, I noted my concerns here on this board, and a number of posters, several of whom I hold a great deal of respect for, validated my opinion.

Then came the crash and all of the subsequent revelations about his behavior, the most concerning of which is that he left the scene of the accident before first responders arrived. Even if it didn't involve two people he knew, IMO it's unconscionable to leave like that when human beings lives were at stake without first making sure that there wasn't anything he could do to help, and that means waiting for first responders. At the very least, you could help with crowd or traffic control. Hell, I'd stop to check on a friend's dog if it was injured. For me, that's a huge red character flag.

Even if we did want Carter, it wouldn't make a lot of sense to use our #5 overall on him as there's a good chance that he's going to fall. But I don't think he's on our board.
I get you @RiverDog

Crazy times though. We live in world where it is more important to film people in distress than it is to actually help them. Helping people in anonymity does nothing for your likes and subscribes.

As far as Jalen getting the book thrown at him (whatever that is). Not going to happen. I don't think he did anything felonious. He will have the best lawyer money can buy and the DA and judge will probably be long time Georgia season ticket holders. He had a serious moral judgement lapse, but I don't see the these offenses affecting him too much legally.

toffee

Reaction score
I think we may be ok with DI group of Kancey-Mazi-Jones, Is carter better than Kancey? Probably, both Carter or Kancey carry some risks. Can both play nose? Probably, but not ideal. If we want, we can get both Kancey and Mazi, not the best value but doable.

Front 7:
Nwosu - Kancey - Mazi - Jones
Mafi - Bobby - Taylor

Last edited:

LickMyNuts

Reaction score
I think we need to find out if he likes to ride ATV’s first?

Also is the locker room going to follow him everywhere he goes? The biggest problem with these guys is the decisions they make when they are away from the team.

Ultimately the teams will have much more information than we ever will.

The fact that he was a top performer at Georgia suggests that his character is decent. It’s the kind of program that will replace you if you don’t toe the line.

With that said Henry Ruggs III went to Alabama and we know how that turned out.

We already know that JC likes fast cars.

RiverDog

Reaction score
I get you @RiverDog

Crazy times though. We live in world where it is more important to film people in distress than it is to actually help them. Helping people in anonymity does nothing for your likes and subscribes.

As far as Jalen getting the book thrown at him (whatever that is). Not going to happen. I don't think he did anything felonious. He will have the best lawyer money can buy and the DA and judge will probably be long time Georgia season ticket holders. He had a serious moral judgement lapse, but I don't see the these offenses affecting him too much legally.
Agree 100% with your first paragraph, although there are still acts of heroism, even amongst NFL players that risk their lives trying to save the life of a stranger.

I don't think they'll "throw the book" at him, either, and I hope they don't. I don't see any kind of malicious intent in what he did, just one stupid idiot with HUA disease. But I doubt that they let him skate, either, based on the fact that he was speeding nearly 2x the speed limit just a few months earlier and the cop told him he was getting a break by him not considering it "reckless". Plus two people did die in the accident, so he bears at least a small degree of responsibility for it.

He's damn lucky that they're not elevating it to vehicular homicide. Then he would be in deep caca.

hoxrox

Reaction score
Car racing and wreckless driving is dumb and shows immaturity. Teams have signed and drafted players with worse offenses.

But if his conditioning and motor is no good, not sure how he's even considered a top 5 pick.

DarkVictory23

Reaction score
Carter's production is non-existent in college. 6 career sacks in 3 seasons. That is all playing on the best team in college against college players. He's playing less than 50% of the snaps. None of this sounds like a top 5 player to me, even before the recent legal issues popped up.
I haven't been following his legal issues in any real sense and I follow college ball only in the vague sense that I'm aware it exists and for reasons unknown to even me, I hate Alabama.

But this is the issue I see with all this talk of him being a top 5 pick. I simply look at his numbers and, maybe this is just because I don't watch college football so perhaps there is something I'm missing... wouldn't an impact player have way better numbers than this in college? What am I missing here?

Last edited:

renofox

Reaction score
I haven't been following his legal issues in any real sense and I follow college ball only in the vague that I'm aware it exists and for reasons unknown to even me, I hate Alabama.

But this is the issue I see with all this talk of him being a top 5 pick. I simply look at his numbers and, maybe this is just because I don't watch college football so perhaps there is something I'm missing... wouldn't an impact player have way better numbers than this in college? What am I missing here?
Think Jadaveon Clowney lite.

He is disruptive on a good % of his plays, and gets a fair amount TFL on run plays, but that's about it.

When he rushes the passer it's usually not at a good angle, so when he gets a pressure he just moves a QB off his spot and he doesn't have the ability to change direction and pursue quickly, so the QB can usually reset and throw.

He is excellent at powering through double-teams against weaker OL players when pass rushing, which looks spectacular on tape but doesn't actually impact the game very often.

Against the run he is good at getting off a block and making the tackle when not doubled, and he has the strength and control to be an effective 2 gap defender (something this team does not have but is crucial to its desired flavor of 3-4 scheme). He would draw alot of double teams, also. But you can find effective OL in that role easily in the 2-4 rounds - not as good as JC would be but pretty damn close.

RiverDog

Reaction score
Car racing and wreckless driving is dumb and shows immaturity. Teams have signed and drafted players with worse offenses.

But if his conditioning and motor is no good, not sure how he's even considered a top 5 pick.
The reckless driving/racing isn't what worries me. I can't get over the fact that having seen how serious and life threatening the accident it was, that he'd leave the scene of an accident before first responders arrived. That can't be explained by being immature. He may not be a locker room cancer, but that kind of selfishness is very concerning.

Ozzy

Reaction score
John would make himself a liar if he drafts him…..he mentioned it recently he won’t waver in character guys moving forward. Again I’ll be shocked