Jalen Carter

RiverDog

Reaction score
John would make himself a liar if he drafts him…..he mentioned it recently he won’t waver in character guys moving forward. Again I’ll be shocked
Yep, I heard that, too, and when I said in another thread that I didn't think he was on our board, I caused a couple "WTF" reactions out of a couple of posters.

Appyhawk

Reaction score
Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montan
Carter's bail was $4000. How much "book" can they throw at you for two misdemeanors?
IF he can play up to his hype I think he's worth the pick. He is young enough all this stuff has to be making a serious impression on him. Kids generally learn pretty quick. He'll come out of all this a better young man and likely have his nose to the grindstone with serious intent.
I can't explain his lack of stats. How did he get such a huge reputation without producing some compelling play?

James in PA

Reaction score
John would make himself a liar if he drafts him…..he mentioned it recently he won’t waver in character guys moving forward. Again I’ll be shocked
If John stays true to his word and Carter is off their board, we could be in a pickle if Arizona doesn't trade their pick and selects Anderson. That would mean one of the 4 QB's is still there. Then what? Take that QB? Trade down and grab Bijan and take the DT from Pitt later on?

Chukarhawk

Reaction score
I don't get the hype on this guy. Based on what production? How is he even rated this highly? He's had a total of 6 sacks and 44 tackles in 3 seasons.

SEASONTEAM
202061UGA
202161UGA
202261UGA

TOTSOLOASTPDSACKFFINTYDSTD

Last edited:

JPatera76

Reaction score
Carter's bail was $4000. How much "book" can they throw at you for two misdemeanors?
IF he can play up to his hype I think he's worth the pick. He is young enough all this stuff has to be making a serious impression on him. Kids generally learn pretty quick. He'll come out of all this a better young man and likely have his nose to the grindstone with serious intent.
I can't explain his lack of stats. How did he get such a huge reputation without producing some compelling play?
6 months to 1 yr typically per offense, depending on offense, any prior offenses and what they are etc etc.

RiverDog

Reaction score
They aren't just 'misdemeanors' like a speeding ticket or running a stoplight. In Georgia, reckless driving and racing are considered criminal or aggravated misdemeanors, and each carries a maximum 1 year in jail. Any racing conviction carries with it a minimum of 10 days in jail. Given that two people died, that he initially lied to investigators, that he had been cited for speeding 2x the speed limit, it's possible, perhaps probable, that he could be looking at some jail time.

Carter played alongside some amazing talent at Georgia which could have inflated the opinions of the scouts. For example, he might not get double teamed as much as he would if he been playing for a lesser team.

nanomoz

Reaction score
Here's an article from May 2015 discussing JS drafting Frank Clark after stating that domestic violence was a deal breaker for anyone they were considering drafting. As a reminder, Frank Clark was dismissed from the Michigan program in November of 2014 for striking his girlfriend. I'm not being critical of JS, just pointing out that this is the season for NFL draft disinformation.
It seems like the Malik McDowell experiment since then changed their approach.

CPHawk

Reaction score
Go listen to some of Schneider's interviews recently. He credits an emphasis on character for recent draft success. There is zero chance the Hawks will draft Carter. The national media dudes that are still mocking Carter to the Hawks simply haven't done their homework and aren't very good at their job.

And that's before the news of the big legal trouble. The dude is wildly talented, but he had conditioning problems two years in a row, despite saying it was a problem / point of emphasis after the 2021 season.
After he got in trouble Malik flashed in my head. But after listening to a couple interviews of Derek Wolfe, I realize all good DL are fd up. Besides, if someone gave me a brand new sports car at 20, there is a good chance I would have been reckless also. Fortunately I went to a Jc to play football, and could only afford a 1987 Jeep cj7, that only hit a high speed of 58.

Last edited:

ivotuk

Reaction score
Frank Clark was cleared. The female prosecutor said there wasn't any evidence of wrong doing and declined to prosecute.

He did not get kicked off the Michigan team for hitting his gf. He got suspended for getting charged.

It's possible his gf made a false accusation to use as leverage, or to get back at him for seeing someone else. Who knows.

After that high school linebacker did time for a rape he didn't commit, I try to keep an open mind.

He was getting offers from colleges, and that all went down the toilet.

After the girl recanted, he was released, and Pete gave him a chance with the Seahawks.

Malik was a bad pick.

Jalen has maturity problems per Todd McShay.
Rob Station said that in an interview, Carter said he had a problem with his stamina, and planned to build it up over last summer, but as usual, he would get gassed in game.

This is a guy that does as little as possible, and tries to get by on his natural talent.

Georgia's locker room is full of Alphas, and if they couldn't get him to apply himself, he's not going to in the NFL. That is until his contract year.

toffee

Reaction score
After he got in trouble Malik flashed in my head. But after listening to a couple interviews of Derek Wolfe, I realize all good DL are fd up. Besides, if someone gave me a brand new sports car at 20, there is a good chance I would have been reckless also. Fortunately I went to a Jc to play football, and could only afford a 1987 Jeep cj7, that only hit a high speed of 58.
What kind of car was Carter driving? Any idea how he got it?

Fudwamper

Reaction score
Jalen has maturity problems per Todd McShay.
Rob Station said that in an interview, Carter said he had a problem with his stamina, and planned to build it up over last summer, but as usual, he would get gassed in game.

This is a guy that does as little as possible, and tries to get by on his natural talent.

Georgia's locker room is full of Alphas, and if they couldn't get him to apply himself, he's not going to in the NFL. That is until his contract year.
This. He has the talent. He has the build.

He has never lived up to the expectations of his talent. He never looks like an Alpha dog on the field. Now place that red flags about being in football shape, red flags of needing to be kept motivate in GA, and now the multiple traffic violations that have ended in peoples deaths...... I have no idea why anyone would draft this guy.

seabowl

Reaction score
If he’s there I’d take him. At the very least he disrupts the line quite a bit at a huge need position. With J Reed coming back I think he’d actually be a great role model and teacher for Carter. Other than trading down I don’t see a better option unless Stroud, Anderson or Young are there. Not sold on the Tyree Wilson Texas Tech DE after watching tape. No moves whatsoever.

Last edited:

themunn

Reaction score
The whole "Jalen Carter" has a bad character thing as far as I can see comes from 1 single Rob Staton comment where he quoted a "source" saying Carter has bad character.

Scott pointed out who he thought might be the ideal person to comment on Carter’s character. Weston Wallace is a player perhaps only the most diehard of Bulldogs fans know. A
sophomore, the 6-foot-4, 320-pounder used to go up against Carter every day at practice when he was a scout team offensive lineman his first two seasons at Georgia ( the walk-on
switched to the defensive line this year).
Before this season Carter found out that Wallace, as a walk-on, couldn’t eat all the meals the scholarship defensive linemen were getting. Walk-ons weren’t able to eat lunch, but this
year the players were given the choice to buy it.
“Jalen heard about that. I’m the only walk-on in the defensive line room and he goes, ‘I’m not gonna let that happen.’ So he used his scholarship money to pay for me to get lunch
every single day,”
Wallace said.
Wallace thought it was “ridiculous” to hear someone critical of Carter’s character. “You honestly don’t know the guy if you think that. You can ask anybody on the team, whether it’s
the O-line that he bullies every day out there … everybody thinks he’s an all-around great guy, and I think he’ll be great for any team that picks him.”

Does that sound like a bad character guy?

Now, questions about his production and fitness are 2 different things. He was banged up this year and playing through injury so maybe not surprising he looked gassed. But I imagine he's going to do things at his pro-day today that will remind people why 3 months he was being talked about as the clear 1st overall pick.

Floridahawk79

Reaction score
This is what I know about Carter. I watched him play several times while he was in High School down here in Central Florida and he is with out a doubt a special athlete.
I called some old friends last week who I know when i coached at Clemson many moons ago and who now work in the Athletic Department at Georgia. They really couldn't comment on the traffic situation but did say the fitness issue is blown out of portion as is the character issue. The fitness issue according to them was just one comment made by Kirby Smart to challenge Carter as he was constantly being double teamed and if he wanted to raise his game that's what he would need to do. The media has made it a big deal apparently. His injury also contributed to his losing some fitness.
They also said, they new of no character issues and in fact he was well liked through out the building.
Maybe JS and PC through their investigating will uncover more than my friends know.
We shall see.

HawkinNY

Reaction score
I didn't want Carter before the accident. I watched him in the two CFB playoff games and was underwhelmed, thought that he didn't have a high motor, seemed to get gassed easy, was subbed for often even on 3rd downs. Since I had only seen him in those two games, I noted my concerns here on this board, and a number of posters, several of whom I hold a great deal of respect for, validated my opinion.

Then came the crash and all of the subsequent revelations about his behavior, the most concerning of which is that he left the scene of the accident before first responders arrived. Even if it didn't involve two people he knew, IMO it's unconscionable to leave like that when human beings lives were at stake without first making sure that there wasn't anything he could do to help, and that means waiting for first responders. At the very least, you could help with crowd or traffic control. Hell, I'd stop to check on a friend's dog if it was injured. For me, that's a huge red character flag.

Even if we did want Carter, it wouldn't make a lot of sense to use our #5 overall on him as there's a good chance that he's going to fall. But I don't think he's on our board.

I have the same views. Playing 50% of college games snaps. Yea no way he will be great as a pro. Unless he decides he really loves football. Cause his play says otherwise.

TeamoftheCentury

Reaction score
I just hope someone picks him 1 - 4. That stamina problem is no small matter. ; ) Just remember, it's all smoke and mirrors now.

With the recent DL signings, I hope Hawks trade down a bit and secure the OLine with Torrence and Schmitz. REALLY need the guard and center. Protect Geno and help the run game. Started that rebuild last year, get the other pieces now. Get a consistent line.

We're probably not going to get everything we need. But trading down might help more with that AND still address needs with top quality, productive players.

Last edited:

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
What kind of car was Carter driving? Any idea how he got it?

2021 Jeep Trackhawk worth about 100k, which Jalen got as part of his nil ncaa deal.

He comes in as a top 10, he gets over 20m guaranteed. Of more concern, his attitude might infect a locker room without an established defensive leader. Re-signing Bobby would reslly help here plus we literally have no one at ilb

Latest posts