I've Changed My Mind On DK

chris98251

Reaction score
Well based on the inept offense we were running with huge limitations you can't use that as a yardstick, based on UW's offense and how they used WR's we should see the filed open up and where the UW did not have a marked running game with a star they were respected. I don't expect 3 1500 yard receivers, I do expect if a top 5 offense the three of them having 8 TD's each plus TE's and RB's catching balls also. Thats a offense by committee which may be much more successful in wins and harder to defend, so individual numbers will suffer. Sorry Fantasy world geeks, would not be picking the guys on the Seahawks as starters since they will spread things around.

HawkRiderFan

Reaction score
Never wanted to trade him. I do home MM can work with him on not taking those costly penalties. I get he's passionate, I get Pete's letting the guys be themselves thing, but that stuff was hurting the team on the field.

CouchLogic

Reaction score
I'm in the trade him camp, but that was with Pete's offense. He should be near unstoppable, but he never shined as bright as he could have. I can't wait to see him in a new system, hopefully it takes advantage of big bodies.

Lagartixa

Reaction score
I was in the trade DK camp and still am. For what he has being paid DK has been unproductive and when his contract is up in 2 yrs I am expecting he will be demanding $30-35 million per year. At what he is being paid I do expect 1500 receiving yards and 15 TDs anything less is a disappointment
[Boldface and color emphasis is mine]

Your expectations are outrageously unrealistic in the 2024 NFL.

Among wide receivers, Metcalf's per-year financial-compensation average is tenth in the league.

In 2023, three players in the league had 1500 or more receiving yards and none had more than 13 TDs.
Was 2023 a fluke?

In 2022, three players in the league had 1500 or more receiving yards and none had more than 14 TDs.

In 2021, three players in the league had 1500 or more receiving yards and one had 15 or more TDs (specifically, he had 16). That year was unusual, because there was actually a single player in the league who met your minimum performance expectation for the tenth-highest-paid wide receiver in the league. Most years, there are a few players who meet one criterion or the other, but none who meet both.

In 2020, one player in the league had more than 1500 receiving yards and two had 15 or more TDs. The one with 1500 receiving yards was, as usual, not one of the ones with 15 or more TDs.

In 2019, one player in the league had more than 1500 receiving yards and none had more than 11 TDs.

In 2018, three players in the league had more than 1500 receiving yards and one had 15 TDs. As usual, the player with more than 1500 receiving yards was not the one who had 15 TDs.

when his contract is up in 2 yrs I am expecting he will be demanding $30-35 million per year.
[again, boldface and color emphasis is mine]

Based on what? A regression model? Actuarial estimates of 2026 advertising rates, 2026 licensed-merchandise prices, ticket prices, the 2026 salary cap, and the league's demand for receivers in two years? Accidentally received private communication between Metcalf and his agent planning their negotiation strategy for two years from now? Or random grasping at straws while looking for reasons not to like a player you've already decided you don't want on the team?
The fact that you set what would be top-receiver-in-the-league performance in both yardage and receiving TDs as the minimum expectation for the player with the tenth-largest per-year contract average at the position suggests pretty strongly which one of those possibilities it is.

Also, the raw amount Metcalf might be able to get in his next contract ("$30-35 million per year") is irrelevant. What's important is what percentage of the cap it will be. If the cap continues to rise the way it has been lately, and if the demand for top-20-quality wide receivers continues to be like it is now, $30M per year could end up being a good price for a top-20 wide receiver. As it is now, the top 21 are all over $20M per year. And if Metcalf is not a top-20 wide receiver by 2026, we won't have to worry about him getting top-receiver money.

Last edited:

AgentDib

Reaction score
DK has been very productive as a Seahawk and the personal foul issues are completely overblown. Lagartixa sums it up well above, but I would just add that receivers have different responsibilities.

An important concept in competitive scenarios is that zero penalties or mistakes is too few. The goal is to get as close to the line as possible without crossing it, and if you never cross it once then you could have done more. In football that applies to technical penalties like holding, but also personal fouls in the case of a guy like DK who has a physical role to play.

A split-end/X receiver like Metcalf is always fighting off press coverage and has key blocking assignments, unlike a small receiver who gets free releases and avoids physical contact. You should absolutely want somebody with DK's passion in that X receiver role.

His three personal fouls last year were the right number in my view. Two where he crossed the line just a bit too far blocking, and then the third was complete nonsense (Fred Warner cheap shot him in the head and should obviously have been ejected instead).

GemCity

Reaction score
I love DK man. He embodies what I love to see in a player…and yes, that sometimes comes with getting out of control here and there.

We don’t have a single player that I wouldn’t entertain taking two 1’st Round picks for. For DK, that would be my minimum.

If Grubbs offense is as potent as I think it will be, talks of trading DK will sound completely and utterly asinine.

olyfan63

Reaction score
I was in the "DK needs to mature his thinking and stop hurting his team" camp, but NEVER in the "trade DK" camp. It seemed DK stepped up his game and showed up against the toughest opponents. When tough teams shut down Tyler, JSN, Bobo, our TEs, somehow DK started being the go-to for Geno and making clutch catches. DK's mere presence presents problems for defenses and opens things up for other receivers. Which threat do you focus on stopping? DK forces teams to have to make tough choices on defense.

CalgaryFan05

Reaction score
Never wanted him traded. Wanted him benched and disciplined for his stupidity. Said that about 20 times. It was the teams fault not disciplining him - and when I say 'team', I squarely mean Pete. Kid's towing the line under the new regime. Good to see.

This is better to see: https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/...make-dk-metcalf-a-moving-target-for-defenses/

That's how the MF SHOULD have been used for his whole career. Maybe this will help.

rjdriver

Reaction score
Whenever a "trade him" moment hits (we all have them), just go watch that first TD against the Cowboys last year that looked like a trailer from the DC comic's movie "Flash".

I get wanting the trade capital from DK to build the core and trenches, but you still need playmakers (or as a PC would say "field tilters") who can change the dynamics in the game instantly.

Plus, as a fan, you need more than vanilla to get excited. I love having one of the baddest ass receivers on the planet on my team.

GemCity

Reaction score
Whenever a "trade him" moment hits (we all have them), just go watch that first TD against the Cowboys last year that looked like a trailer from the DC comic's movie "Flash".

I get wanting the trade capital from DK to build the core and trenches, but you still need playmakers (or as a PC would say "field tilters") who can change the dynamics in the game instantly.

Plus, as a fan, you need more than vanilla to get excited. I love having one of the baddest ass receivers on the planet on my team.

Love this….our WR slams LB’s.
I love having one of the baddest ass receivers on the planet on my team.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
The constant blasting of DK is just plain odd. Dude is a team guy. He has never complained about getting the ball. So he plays with passion, big deal. You can see he's growing up right in front of us. I'm proud he's a part of this team. And he's a beast.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Never wanted him traded. Wanted him benched and disciplined for his stupidity. Said that about 20 times. It was the teams fault not disciplining him - and when I say 'team', I squarely mean Pete. Kid's towing the line under the new regime. Good to see.

This is better to see: https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/...make-dk-metcalf-a-moving-target-for-defenses/

That's how the MF SHOULD have been used for his whole career. Maybe this will help.
Then again, DK could go 50 straight games w/out an after the whistle penalty, and many would still dwell on what he USED TO do.

The LOB was PRAISED AND WORSHIPPED for their passion and lead the league in penalties, often.

Also, how often does trading your best players work out?

chris98251

Reaction score
Then again, DK could go 50 straight games w/out an after the whistle penalty, and many would still dwell on what he USED TO do.

The LOB was PRAISED AND WORSHIPPED for their passion and lead the league in penalties, often.

Also, how often does trading your best players work out?
DK is a Wimp, until he can knock the snot out of someone like Largent did on Harden :) Largent who never even made a ripple of controversy his whole time in the league had an edge it became obvious, DK's emotions are just more exposed.

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
DK is a Wimp, until he can knock the snot out of someone like Largent did on Harden :) Largent who never even made a ripple of controversy his whole time in the league had an edge it became obvious, DK's emotions are just more exposed.
Calling DK a “Wimp” is bold…

Would you say that to DK’s face???

chris98251

Reaction score
Yep I would, followed by what I said about Largent, you have issues????? Hmmm :)

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
Yep I would, followed by what I said about Largent, you have issues????? Hmmm :)
Well, I guess the only “legal” way we will see DK “lay someone out” like Largent did to Harden, is with a turnover….

Well, it wasn’t a hit like Largent had but DK did German suplex Fred Warner….

That should be enough proof that DK is anything but a “wimp.”

Torc

Reaction score
I'm totally down with aggressive penalties. Soulfish, you mentioned the LOB leading the league in penalties. They did. But they tended to be the result of being very aggressive in their game, not from letting people get in their head and hitting them after the play. DK's penalties tend to be dumb ones.

DK is still young, but he's learning, he's taking the role of a team leader seriously, and he has a coach who will expect him to curb those impulses. I'm looking forward to a great year from him.