It’s Time to Hear from Eskridge and Collier

audioeffects

Reaction score
After drafting Penny in 2018, we caught nothing but mere glimpses of one of our star RBs. Later, he was fully unleashed towards the end of last season and in the first few games of this year.

Before this, we didn’t hear much about Penny over the past few years because he was not on the active roster mostly due to injury. We’ve been delighted with his play ever since he became a starter and now, few of us question the former first round selection.

Dee Eskridge was injured on opening day last season and missed most of the 2021 campaign. On defense, LJ Collier has been utterly invisible since 2019.

Have Eskridge and Collier been on the field for enough time for us to see their actual value?

The early returns are shrug of the shoulder and both could be pure busts for all we know. I, for one, am more curious about some of our practice squad players than I am about these guys.

Or—there’s the Rashad Penny model of timing for injured younger players who eventually have their coming out party.

Neither coming out party will be celebrated as often or as dramatically as Penny’s, but I have to believe that Eskridge and Collier were chosen by Schneider (and Carroll) for a reason.

Both players will likely see less than 30 percent of the snaps in Glendale—barring injury, but wouldn’t the second half of our 2022 season be an excellent opportunity for Eskridge and Collier to emerge as solid contributors in a competitive year?

Stranger things have happened in Glendale, so stay tuned. There’s good reason to believe that our coaching staff may have plans for both of these early round picks to show something sooner rather than later.

Chevy

Reaction score
Eskridge looks like a poor route runner. Route running is a craft and want-to, I'm guessing he doesn't put in the time to become a better route runner. Eskridge probably doesn't have DK's work ethic.

Rat

Reaction score
Eskridge can at least stretch the field some. Collier will be lucky to make someone's practice squad next season.

m0ng0

Reaction score
I did see Collier a few times against the Giants, not sure he is a complete bust yet.

Hawkspeed

Reaction score
I am hoping that LJ Collier will finally find his place. The time is now for him and as toffee mentioned, "Collier defended a pass and had a QB hit in his first game back". Our defense has been overcoming expectations, thanks to some influence from veteran players who are leading the way.

Rashaad Penny found his "confidence" and really has produced after meeting an experienced and successful professional like Adrian Peterson. Maybe in a similar way, Bruce Irvin can bring confidence to LJ and the entire defensive group, as well as being an "on-field coach" and mentor to our young and upcoming "star" players.

toffee

Reaction score
Bruce Irvin can bring confidence to LJ and the entire defensive group, as well as being an "on-field coach" and mentor to our young and upcoming "star" players.
An on field yeller, somehow I don't think Bruce the sensitive type, I think he yells and point fingers at youngsters, which is helpful when the boys were trying to find their ways. An authoritative figure in this case helped some?

FrodosFinger

Reaction score
I predict Eskridge has a breakout game today. Can he provide for us what Goodwin brings when healthy? The answer is yes

JPatera76

Reaction score
Eskridge... imo just keeps looking pedestrian, he gets tapped and flops, gets mauled and man handled pretty easily... Id rather have Paul Richardson back or Kevin Norwood or something lol (Or of course your younger guys) Or... 10 picks later Devonte Adams lol because i believe he was in the same draft as Paul and Kevin lol... but yeah.. Id rather see Bo and Dareke get more time out there than Eskridge

Mad Dog

Reaction score
Eskridge and Collier are either busts or really, really late bloomers. Obviously the former is more likely. Unfortunate but I’ll give the FO a pass since they knocked this last draft out of the park. 7 starting quality players from one draft is unheard of.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
They both are demonstrably not the players the team believed they ‘d be when drafted. Collier is unlikely to be around next season and Eskridge has almost played his way off the team.

Too bad b/c they both are looking like busts.

FPD

Reaction score
Yeah, it's really too bad. I had high hopes for Dee.

seabowl

Reaction score
Hated both the Eskridge and Collier picks when they happened. Frankly I only remember one pick where we made that was a head scratcher that sort of worked out and that was Bruce Irvin. The reason why I say sort of was we passed up on taking Fletcher Cox to trade down and then select Irvin. Fletch would have been a beast for us.

nwHawk

Reaction score
My biggest disappointment with Eskridge is him as a return man. He seemed to be a perfect fit to a huge need, but he has been a total ghost. Bummer.